RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,536
Posts: 5,512,945
Members: 25,139
Currently online: 564
Newest member: Pammijo

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 20 2013, 03:03 PM   #16
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Episode of the Week: 2x08 "A Matter Of Honor"

Jeyl wrote: View Post
They must have really let the flood gates open with the Benzites after Mordock got accepted, because Mendon appears to have not only been accepted into the academy, but also made the real rank of ensign before Crusher was even given the proper uniform. It's like the writer watched the episode with Mendon, but missed that one key detail about Mendon being the first benzoate accepted into the academy.

And as for you Riker...

KLAG: He will eventually fade of a natural illness and die, weakened and useless. Honourless. I will not see him.
RIKER: He's your father.
KLAG: A Klingon is his work, not his family. That is the way of things.
RIKER: He's your father.
KLAG: Klingons do not express feeling the way you do.
RIKER: Perhaps you should.
KLAG: We would not know how.
RIKER: Yesterday, I did not know how to eat gagh.
I'll see you in "The Icarus Factor" you gawddang hypocrite.

Riker admired his father even respected him(Time Squared, Icarus) he just didn't get along with him. Wholly different than waiting for your father to die as you ignore him. I'd expect RIker would have taken a leave if he heard his father was dying. There are lots of people who tolerate their family even if they don't get along.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 03:12 PM   #17
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: Episode of the Week: 2x08 "A Matter Of Honor"

RAMA wrote: View Post
Benzites..wasn't the Wesley line a joke about budget saving? At least that's how I took it. According to Mendon he is from the same geo-structure, which I assume means they do in fact look alike.

RAMA

I think the line was put there intending to note the "budget saving", however I don't think it came across well. Picard and Wesley are from the same "geo-structure". Do they look alike? Perhaps they do to the Benzites.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 03:26 PM   #18
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Episode of the Week: 2x08 "A Matter Of Honor"

MikeS wrote: View Post
I think the line was put there intending to note the "budget saving", however I don't think it came across well. Picard and Wesley are from the same "geo-structure". Do they look alike? Perhaps they do to the Benzites.
No, they don't look alike, and the Benzites don't have any trouble telling who is who. Vulcans don't look alike either. Neither do Klingons. But Benzites look alike.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 03:37 PM   #19
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: Episode of the Week: 2x08 "A Matter Of Honor"

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
I think the line was put there intending to note the "budget saving", however I don't think it came across well. Picard and Wesley are from the same "geo-structure". Do they look alike? Perhaps they do to the Benzites.
No, they don't look alike, and the Benzites don't have any trouble telling who is who. Vulcans don't look alike either. Neither do Klingons. But Benzites look alike.
Well my friend, you have missed the point. I don't want to go on about this as it is but a small detail in an otherwise fantastic episode.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 03:42 PM   #20
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Episode of the Week: 2x08 "A Matter Of Honor"

MikeS wrote: View Post
Well my friend, you have missed the point. I don't want to go on about this as it is but a small detail in an otherwise fantastic episode.
Nice move. I'll drop it then, but I'm still firmly convinced that I'm right and you're wrong.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 04:32 PM   #21
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Episode of the Week: 2x08 "A Matter Of Honor"

RAMA wrote: View Post
Riker admired his father even respected him(Time Squared, Icarus) he just didn't get along with him. Wholly different than waiting for your father to die as you ignore him. I'd expect RIker would have taken a leave if he heard his father was dying. There are lots of people who tolerate their family even if they don't get along.
Going from "I have my father to thank for that" to flat out telling his father "You should have been the one to die" is not quite that realistic a jump. Both "A Matter Of Honor" and "Times Square" would seem to paint Riker as a man who got along with his father just fine, which is not the case at all. That's what I don't really like. It's like if Picard said his family was so proud of him when he enlisted in Starfleet, yet all of a sudden change into a family that resented him joining Starfleet. Thankfully that's not how it went and we were able to get a hint of Picard's family before they fully fledged out. Riker doesn't have that appropriate set up.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 05:37 PM   #22
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Episode of the Week: 2x08 "A Matter Of Honor"

Jeyl wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Riker admired his father even respected him(Time Squared, Icarus) he just didn't get along with him. Wholly different than waiting for your father to die as you ignore him. I'd expect RIker would have taken a leave if he heard his father was dying. There are lots of people who tolerate their family even if they don't get along.
Going from "I have my father to thank for that" to flat out telling his father "You should have been the one to die" is not quite that realistic a jump. Both "A Matter Of Honor" and "Times Square" would seem to paint Riker as a man who got along with his father just fine, which is not the case at all. That's what I don't really like. It's like if Picard said his family was so proud of him when he enlisted in Starfleet, yet all of a sudden change into a family that resented him joining Starfleet. Thankfully that's not how it went and we were able to get a hint of Picard's family before they fully fledged out. Riker doesn't have that appropriate set up.
Well a moment of childhood originated rage in a heated situation might take over decorum, but for day to day there was no reason for Riker to have mentioned he didn't get along with his father. There was a small hint of resentment in Time Squared.

Out of the whole family I think it was only Picard's father who resented Jean Luc going into Starfleet.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2013, 06:19 PM   #23
inflatabledalek
Captain
 
Re: Episode of the Week: 2x08 "A Matter Of Honor"

A real fun rocking socking episode with a great turn by Frakes (it's a pity the popularity of Data and Worf would see Riker get marginalised as the show went along, he's great when given decent material), more top notch direction from Bowman and some decent guest star turns.

Especially from Chris Collins/Latta, who gets to ham it up marvellously. Even if his inner Starscream slips out during his moaning on the Enterprise bridge.
__________________
TRANSFORMATION: GIRLS RULE THE WORLD
It's women vs robots in my look at issue 137!
inflatabledalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.