RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,914
Posts: 5,388,370
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 459
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 19 2013, 05:32 PM   #496
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: melting
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

I liked the thinly veiled jokes about Downton Abbey and I really liked The Escape Hatch.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 05:37 PM   #497
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

I liked everything about Barney's apartment. They really had the gags coming out left and right. I especially liked the Jor-El head. I've noticed that a number of shows and movies these days use holography like that as if it were real technology that existed today.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 05:47 PM   #498
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

I liked the gags, too, but what took me out of my suspension of disbelief is that from a practical standpoint the greenscreen window doesn't work. The actors were literally looking at a greenscreen, and the effect is done in post. So unless you've got a really dumb chick, it wouldn't work in real life. That makes me a sad panda.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 06:11 PM   #499
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral
 
Mutenroshi's Avatar
 
Location: Mutenroshi
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I liked everything about Barney's apartment. They really had the gags coming out left and right. I especially liked the Jor-El head. I've noticed that a number of shows and movies these days use holography like that as if it were real technology that existed today.
I give this some sort of extended suspension of disbelief, 'cause after all, on of Television's tropes is that any blow to the head means being unconscious...
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 04:12 AM   #500
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

This ep was a bit meh for me. Not bad, just...okay.

Also, I let the head-holo slide, but the greenscreen outside the window makes no sense at all.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 05:35 AM   #501
Caretaker
Commodore
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA
View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

tighr wrote: View Post
I liked the gags, too, but what took me out of my suspension of disbelief is that from a practical standpoint the greenscreen window doesn't work. The actors were literally looking at a greenscreen, and the effect is done in post. So unless you've got a really dumb chick, it wouldn't work in real life. That makes me a sad panda.
Um... you've seen some of the women that Barney brings back to his place, right?
I saw a segment on a science show a few months ago about holography - we can actually do a holographic head now (not Kryptonian good, but, it works). link Albeit, Barney would need to know people and blow a lot of money.
__________________
Watch the I've Got Munchies podcast.


Last edited by Caretaker; March 20 2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: link
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 05:47 AM   #502
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Barney can afford to install all those gadgets in his house...I'm sure he can afford a working holographic machine too. I mean we don't even know what he does for a living...he's probably loaded.

Anyways, solid episode, it didn't really stand out to me, but it wasn't horrible either.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 09:55 AM   #503
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

There wasn't smoke, but they could have just used an old fashioned projector bouncing off a couple mirrors, technology that's been around for a hundred years, if done right would look much better than a real hologram.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 12:12 PM   #504
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Funny thing was the day before this aired I saw the new Oz movie and then went home and watched Wizard of Oz so I had a hat trick of holographic shouting heads!
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 01:53 PM   #505
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Funny thing was the day before this aired I saw the new Oz movie and then went home and watched Wizard of Oz so I had a hat trick of holographic shouting heads!
Speaking of Oz, I heard there were some deleted cameos ...

marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 12:43 PM   #506
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Mild spoilers ahead...

The last two episodes of How I Met Your Mother's eighth season may be titled "Something Old" (airing May 6 and featuring the return of Robin's dad, played by Ray Wise) and "Something New" (May 13), but don't assume that means we'll finally see the long-anticipated nuptials of Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Cobie Smulders). "I don't want to necessarily promise the wedding," executive producer Carter Bays says. "It's more complex than that."

"We're going to be taking some surprising risks with time. The finale is almost like a pilot for the new series that the ninth [and final] season becomes."
Source

I don't think we're going to get a "How I Met Your Father" scenario or a full season where we get to know the mother. I think the entire cast will be front and center as usual and we won't see the mother until May of 2014 eventhough the wedding will take place in May 2013. So how will this work? Here's one possibility...

Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 12:59 PM   #507
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Ugh. I don't like the sound of that. I want to meet the damn Mother already!!!
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 01:35 PM   #508
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Mild spoilers ahead...

The last two episodes of How I Met Your Mother's eighth season may be titled "Something Old" (airing May 6 and featuring the return of Robin's dad, played by Ray Wise) and "Something New" (May 13), but don't assume that means we'll finally see the long-anticipated nuptials of Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin (Cobie Smulders). "I don't want to necessarily promise the wedding," executive producer Carter Bays says. "It's more complex than that."

"We're going to be taking some surprising risks with time. The finale is almost like a pilot for the new series that the ninth [and final] season becomes."
Source

I don't think we're going to get a "How I Met Your Father" scenario or a full season where we get to know the mother. I think the entire cast will be front and center as usual and we won't see the mother until May of 2014 eventhough the wedding will take place in May 2013. So how will this work? Here's one possibility...

Or Big Day?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805660/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

But what's to stop them doing that again?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 02:00 PM   #509
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

^ Yeah, I thought of Big Day. It'd be funny if they did that and cast Marla Sokoloff as the mother. Or not since she'd only be in the band.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 10:57 PM   #510
ryan123450
Commodore
 
ryan123450's Avatar
 
Location: Woodward, OK
View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

I think my wife's head will explode if we don't meet the mother at the end of this season. I'm content to keep watching for as long as it takes, but she's ready for some kind of pay off.
__________________

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
alyson hannigan, cobie smulders, how i met your mother

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.