TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What is your preference for how zombies move?
Walking 44 80.00%
Running 1 1.82%
No preference 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 20 2013, 04:46 AM   #46
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: Zombie Movement

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
. People didn't turn into zombies because they were bitten, people turned into zombies after being bitten because they were dead.
In the original Night of the Living Dead, the daughter was dying as a result of a bite she recieved sometime before the Coopers reached the farmhouse.

The 2004 Dawn remake led us to believe Luda (Andre's pregnant wife) was poisoned / slowly dying on her way to full transformation.

In TWD, Sophia's bite did not appear to be such a bleeder that it was the cause of death. It seems the bite turned her into a walker while she was alive (like Jim).

From all three examples, the implication of a bite is that a victim is actually in some mid-state of death, or "zombie-ism," so to speak while technically alive. So, they do not have to die before the disease has altered whatever brain function triggers typical zombie traits.
Old March 20 2013, 04:56 AM   #47
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Not that I know of. I think in this case the producers just decided they wanted to keep that actor, so the amputation was successful.
It worked on Dale in the comics as well, thus there was a precedent in having it work in the series.
The amputation was also immediate - the implication being that the "poison" or whatever didn't have time to spread. In The Walking Dead videogame,
Old March 20 2013, 09:40 AM   #48
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Not that I know of. I think in this case the producers just decided they wanted to keep that actor, so the amputation was successful.
It worked on Dale in the comics as well, thus there was a precedent in having it work in the series.
Okay, thanks. I haven't read the book.
Old March 20 2013, 04:09 PM   #49
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

All I can say is: if the TV show went with fast zombies, they'd have to change the name. The Running Dead, anyone?
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:01 AM   #50
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

I like walkers. As others have said, theyare usually harder to kill, the threat is always there and very hard to escape from. Now if real life zombies where as dumb as Minecraft 1.2 zombies then there would be no threat, in 1.4 you better have your game on.
Old March 21 2013, 02:51 AM   #51
Mojochi
Commodore

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
In TWD, Sophia's bite did not appear to be such a bleeder that it was the cause of death. It seems the bite turned her into a walker while she was alive (like Jim).

From all three examples, the implication of a bite is that a victim is actually in some mid-state of death, or "zombie-ism," so to speak while technically alive. So, they do not have to die before the disease has altered whatever brain function triggers typical zombie traits.
I can't speak on other productions, but that's not how it works on TWD. In fact, Jim was never even shown as a zombie. They left him by a tree, still alive, & succumbing to the infection

Afterward they witness Jenner's TS-19 data. He states that TS-19 was a person (His wife) who was bitten & agreed to be used for study. He scans to the 1st event where it shows the infection "Invade the brain like meningitis" & cause death.

For 2:01:07 TS19 was dead, & then the reanimation process began, which is a phenomena that happens to everyone in their world, post-mortem.

Exposure to even a superficial bite causes infection, which causes death. Reanimation is caused by death alone. They operate independent of one another, though perhaps not entirely unrelated. Although, since any death results in resurrection, I tend to believe they probably are unrelated
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 02:33 PM   #52
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
I like walkers. As others have said, theyare usually harder to kill, the threat is always there and very hard to escape from. Now if real life zombies where as dumb as Minecraft 1.2 zombies then there would be no threat, in 1.4 you better have your game on.
The problem with slow walkers IMO as we've seen in The Walking Dead by season 3 is individuals even without a gun are able to take them down easily. Andrea for example by season 3 is able to fight off three zombies with a simple pocket knife and take them down.

In order for us to suspend our disbelief and belielve that the whole world has gone to shit with slow walkers becomes more difficult based on individual's skills at killing them.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 06:05 PM   #53
Caligula
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
The problem with slow walkers IMO as we've seen in The Walking Dead by season 3 is individuals even without a gun are able to take them down easily. Andrea for example by season 3 is able to fight off three zombies with a simple pocket knife and take them down.

In order for us to suspend our disbelief and belielve that the whole world has gone to shit with slow walkers becomes more difficult based on individual's skills at killing them.
Not entirely. It would be another matter if EVERYONE on the show had come into the zombie apocalypse already possessing the skills necessary to kill zombies without much effort, but that's not the case here. For example, Andrea was lucky the time she killed the zombie in the camper with a screwdriver. She couldn't shoot a zombie in the head until mid-2nd season. Over time, she has honed her skills. Some like Rick, Shane and Daryl already had experience through hunting or police work. Others were into protecting their own homes. As for the rest? These people have spent what.... a year, almost two in this mess? It's not that hard to believe these people know how to kill zombies with relative ease by now.

Contrarywise, you've got a lot of secondary characters (*cough* REDSHIRTS! *cough*) which our heroes have come across who still aren't that adept at self-defense. There are many in Woodbury right now who clearly have been living there pretty much the entire time and haven't made any real attempt to develop those skills. They have the misguided perception they don't need these skills because there's always going to be someone else around who can do those things for them, thus they absolutely suck when it comes to accuracy with a bow or a gun. Then there's side characters like the hitchhiker a couple of episodes ago. These are people who'd probably shit their pants and become lunchmeat before being able to stab a zombie with enough force to penetrate/destroy the brain.

Setting aside for the moment the idea that suspension of disbelief is thrown out the window upon the first mention of the word "zombie," survival and adaptation are at play here. In these types of stories, when the world goes to shit, it's rough and chaotic assuredly, but if someone goes through enough and learns how to survive along the way, you bet they're gonna make it look easy. This will never fully exempt them from eventually getting snuffed out, but at least they have what they need to give themselves a fighting chance.

As for the argument of slow vs. fast walkers as it is relevant to The Walking Dead, the conceit there is that you'd need the zombies to be slow regardless of whether or not it makes the most sense, because the show would be over really quick. With slow zombies, yes they are easier to evade, but the IDEA of them... their lingering presence... is what helps keep the chase equally compelling (for us) and terrifying (for the show's remaining living characters). They might not be breaking your doors down (unless there's a horde of them), but they're always there.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 07:37 PM   #54
Pavonis
Commodore

Caligula wrote: View Post
These people have spent what.... a year, almost two in this mess?
Barely a full year, given we know Judith was conceived around the apocalypse (either before with Rick, or after with Shane), and since pregnancy lasts about 10 months, and the baby is maybe a month old at most, it can't have been more than a year since the beginning.

Otherwise, you're right. Survivors would have to learn quickly - slow learners would perish at the hands of the shambling corpses.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 07:41 PM   #55
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I thought this was a critique of the Tea Party.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 08:14 PM   #56
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Caligula wrote: View Post
These people have spent what.... a year, almost two in this mess?
Barely a full year, given we know Judith was conceived around the apocalypse (either before with Rick, or after with Shane), and since pregnancy lasts about 10 months, and the baby is maybe a month old at most, it can't have been more than a year since the beginning.

Otherwise, you're right. Survivors would have to learn quickly - slow learners would perish at the hands of the shambling corpses.
Thanks. I was a little unsure as to the exact timeline, but Lori's pregnancy pins it down.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 11:33 PM   #57
Mojochi
Commodore

Andrea has also been hanging with Michonne. I'm betting that is a good self defense education right there.
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:14 PM   #58
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Walking, it gives the living a better chance to escape.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 09:40 AM   #59
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Best answer yet.
Old March 23 2013, 07:49 PM   #60
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Fast zombies just don't seem logical, if that is even applicable to zombies in general. Most of fine motor control is not in the reptilian part of our brain.

To which I must ask a TWD question. Say I shoot a zombie in the brain they die, but why? TS-19 shows that the brain itself is not used for anything. You would think you would have to destroy the reptilian part of the brain because as we have seen severing the head just makes the head 'talk' to you and attempt to 'get' to you.