Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 19 2013, 11:04 AM   #46
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Genre switching sequels?

lurok wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who found it as funny as second? I thought it was hilarious.
Laughing at horror movies is like being afraid of comedies, i.e. you're not doing it right.
Old March 19 2013, 11:23 AM   #47
The Haunting
Admiral

That's not strictly speaking true, very often a darn good scare will prompt some nervous laughter afterwards!

and I've seen some terrifying comedies...

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"
The Haunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 11:36 AM   #48
lurok
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
and I've seen some terrifying comedies...
ditto
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 12:16 PM   #49
stj
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Another textbook example: "Cat People" is a moody supernatural horror movie. The sequel, "Curse of the Cat People" is a poetic fantasy about a child's vivid imagination. The movies share a few cast members and supporting characters, but there aren't even any cat people in "Curse," which isn't remotely a horror movie!

As I understand it, the studio demanded a sequel to "Cat People," which had been a big commercial success, but the producer, Val Lewton, wasn't interested in repeating himself, so he made this delicate, somewhat arty movie instead--under the studio-mandated title, "Curse of the Cat People."

(Both films are very good, btw, but completely different in tone and subject matter.)

Oh, a bit of trivia: "Curse" was, I believe, the directorial debut of Robert Wise, who went on to direct "The Day the Earth Stood Still," "The Haunting," "The Andromeda Strain," "The Sound of Music," "West Side Story," and, of course, the first "Star Trek" movie.
Beat me to the punch.

Christopher wrote: View Post
^No, they're definitely right about the Alien and Terminator franchises. I've seen those examples suggested on every other thread I've come across in searching for other suggestions. Yes, in both cases the original and its sequel were both science fiction, but they were in very different subgenres and styles.
Ah, but TOS tended to switch genres at will: cerebral sf ("City on the Edge of Forever"), war movie ("Balance of Terror"), pulp action-adventure ("Gamesters of Triskelion"), courtroom drama ("Court-Martial), heavy-handed political allegory ("And Let That Be Your Last Battlefield), morality plays ("Conscience of the King") and even the occasional farce: "Trouble with Tribbles," "I, Mudd," "A Piece of the Action," etc.

So, arguably, all the TOS movies resemble the show, depending on which episodes you're talking about!
Science fictiion isn't a genre in the sense that a romantic comedy or a spy thriller is. It's a "genre" in the same sense as poetry or nonfiction. That is, the term tells us something about how the story is written, not about it's narrative goal. You can say a horror story wants to scare you or a romance wants to satisfy you with achievement of true love. Or you can say that a story is a Regency novel a la Georgette Heyer or a war novel or a Western.

But the bare term "science fiction" only says there is something fantastic (i.e., doesn't exist now) that is noentheless supposed to be natural. If you insist on calling this information a definition of the genre, but dubbing the narrative genre "subgenre" just sows confusion I think.
Old March 19 2013, 02:13 PM   #50
Christopher
Writer

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Laughing at horror movies is like being afraid of comedies, i.e. you're not doing it right.
Obviously you haven't seen The Cabin in the Woods. Or Shaun of the Dead. Or Army of Darkness. Or about a thousand others.

Besides, since when was it forbidden to mix emotions? There's plenty of worthwhile humor in the best movies in many genres -- horror, action, romance, drama, you name it. And the best comedies have moments of seriousness. Really good stories run us through a gamut of emotions.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 04:11 PM   #51
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Besides, since when was it forbidden to mix emotions? There's plenty of worthwhile humor in the best movies in many genres -- horror, action, romance, drama, you name it. And the best comedies have moments of seriousness. Really good stories run us through a gamut of emotions.
Exactly. Some of my favorite movies don't just work the same emotional nerve over and over again, but embrace several different modes and tones--all at the same time.

WITNESS is a crime thriller, love story, culture-clash story, with plenty of humor, suspense, action, and romance.

THE WICKER MAN is a paranoid thriller, horror film, black comedy, and musical.

THE STUNT MAN is a twisty psychological suspense piece, a slapstick action-comedy, a mystery, a love story, a backstage drama, a playful examination of illusion versus reality, a political allegory, etc.
Old March 19 2013, 04:58 PM   #52
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Ohmigod, how have we forgotten this one?

HIGHLANDER was a basically a sword-and-sorcery adventure set in modern times and ancient Scotland. The sequel, HIGHLANDER: THE QUICKENING, was this weird, futuristic, scifi thing that insanely retconned the Highlander into an alien from another planet!
Ahem.

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Highlander should qualify.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 05:17 PM   #53
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Ohmigod, how have we forgotten this one?

HIGHLANDER was a basically a sword-and-sorcery adventure set in modern times and ancient Scotland. The sequel, HIGHLANDER: THE QUICKENING, was this weird, futuristic, scifi thing that insanely retconned the Highlander into an alien from another planet!
Ahem.

Highlander should qualify.

Oops. You know, I knew that I should have probably gone back and reviewed the whole thread, but . . . well, the cat was demanding attention . . . .
Old March 19 2013, 06:21 PM   #54
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Meow. Hisss!
Old March 19 2013, 06:52 PM   #55
Redfern
Commodore

I keep misreading this thread title as...

"Gender switching sequels"! Honestly!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 06:53 PM   #56
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

New topic!!!!
Old March 19 2013, 07:09 PM   #57
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Voyager?

Highlander: The Raven?

Comic Relief Doctor Who Special with Joanna Lumley as The Doctor?
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 07:23 PM   #58
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Obviously you haven't seen The Cabin in the Woods. Or Shaun of the Dead. Or Army of Darkness. Or about a thousand others.

And while we're talking about comedy, Christopher, not everything needs to be taken at face value. Sometimes we're just making little jokes.
Old March 19 2013, 08:11 PM   #59
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Ha!!! You want a follow-up to an existing movie, same cast, but new genre and tone?

The Star Wars Holiday Special.
Old March 19 2013, 09:05 PM   #60
Christopher
Writer

And while we're talking about comedy, Christopher, not everything needs to be taken at face value. Sometimes we're just making little jokes.
"Extremely little, Ensign."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote