Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What is your preference for how zombies move?
Walking 44 80.00%
Running 1 1.82%
No preference 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 17 2013, 12:00 AM   #31
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Zombie Movement

Simon Pegg wrote:
Where their pointy-toothed cousins are all about sex and bestial savagery, the zombie trumps all by personifying our deepest fear: death. Zombies are our destiny writ large. Slow and steady in their approach, weak, clumsy, often absurd, the zombie relentlessly closes in, unstoppable, intractable.
Okay, but "sex and bestial savagery" interest me a lot more than plain ol' rigor mortis. And besides, I find giant carnivorous insects, a la The Mist, to be much scarier metaphors of doom, corpses being snacks for creepy-crawlies and all.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 10:29 AM   #32
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

ITL wrote: View Post
I've posted this before, but this seems like the right thread for a re-posting. From this article:

Simon Pegg wrote:
Death is a disability, not a superpower. It's hard to run with a cold, let alone the most debilitating malady of them all.

More significantly, the fast zombie is bereft of poetic subtlety. As monsters from the id, zombies win out over vampires and werewolves when it comes to the title of Most Potent Metaphorical Monster. Where their pointy-toothed cousins are all about sex and bestial savagery, the zombie trumps all by personifying our deepest fear: death. Zombies are our destiny writ large. Slow and steady in their approach, weak, clumsy, often absurd, the zombie relentlessly closes in, unstoppable, intractable.

However (and herein lies the sublime artfulness of the slow zombie), their ineptitude actually makes them avoidable, at least for a while. If you're careful, if you keep your wits about you, you can stave them off, even outstrip them - much as we strive to outstrip death. Drink less, cut out red meat, exercise, practice safe sex; these are our shotguns, our cricket bats, our farmhouses, our shopping malls. However, none of these things fully insulates us from the creeping dread that something so witless, so elemental may yet catch us unawares - the drunk driver, the cancer sleeping in the double helix, the legless ghoul dragging itself through the darkness towards our ankles.
Simon Pegg is quite eloquent and very correct.
Old March 18 2013, 12:42 AM   #33
the G-man
Commodore

Sunday movement? This isn't some other goddamn liberals special interest group seeking rights for a bunch of people who don't deserve them is it?

Oh.

Nevermind.

the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 11:29 AM   #34
arthur2sheds
Lieutenant

The zombies in World War Z do decay, it just takes alot longer. Most of the necrotic bacteria avoid selenum, the virus that reanimates the corpse.
Old March 19 2013, 02:08 AM   #35
Mojochi
Fleet Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Spreading an infection by biting is the least efficient method ever
This is why I think The Walking Dead has made a good choice in having the most substantive epidemic being reanimation of the dead. Spreading of infection through bites or what have you is secondary. The recently dead, the newly dead & the dying will add to the plague. People die. It's the one thing all of them do eventually, & that is the only prerequisite for continuing this epidemic. The potential of being bitten just adds another imminent threat to an already fragile existence in which there is no civilization, & life is already a dangerous struggle
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 02:21 AM   #36
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, that's also part of the traditional method. Zombies were just the reanimated dead. People didn't turn into zombies because they were bitten, people turned into zombies after being bitten because they were dead.
Old March 19 2013, 03:59 AM   #37
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

But in normal life it's possible to be bitten and not die. Is it not true that a zombie bite in whatever form - a Romero film, the Zack Synder remake, even in this show - will actually cause death? So a bite of equivalent force from a living human won't kill, but from a zombie, it will. Therefore the bite does cause zombism - eventually.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 04:32 AM   #38
Alidar Jarok

Well, they usually are biting your jugular, which is a bit more serious.
Old March 19 2013, 04:44 AM   #39
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Yea, more accurate to say a Zombie bite will ya, and death causes Zombism

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 01:22 PM   #40
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Well, that's also part of the traditional method. Zombies were just the reanimated dead. People didn't turn into zombies because they were bitten, people turned into zombies after being bitten because they were dead.
Why then in the Walking Dead did they cut off Herschel's leg. It's implied but not stated that the bite itself has some kind of aombie infection that can spread.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 02:51 PM   #41
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Why then in the Walking Dead did they cut off Herschel's leg. It's implied but not stated that the bite itself has some kind of aombie infection that can spread.
No, Zombie bites are poisonous and lead to death if the poison spreads. Death turns you into a Zombie. Notice how some people stay dead for up to 24 hours (or perhaps more before reanimating as a Zombie)

Side Note: Although I've seen it tried in several other Zombie flicks, Herschel is the first and only time I recall seeing amputation save someone from dying/turning after a Zombie bite. Are there any other cases I am forgetting or from movies I haven't seen?

Old March 19 2013, 09:54 PM   #42
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Not that I know of. I think in this case the producers just decided they wanted to keep that actor, so the amputation was successful.
Old March 20 2013, 03:24 AM   #43
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Not that I know of. I think in this case the producers just decided they wanted to keep that actor, so the amputation was successful.
It worked on Dale in the comics as well, thus there was a precedent in having it work in the series.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 03:34 AM   #44
Alidar Jarok

DarthTom wrote: View Post
While someone else gave a satisfactory answer, I wasn't commenting on the Walking Dead.
Old March 20 2013, 03:51 AM   #45
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
It worked on Dale in the comics as well, thus there was a precedent in having it work in the series.
Ah, that makes sense, since Herschel took over Dale's position (I don't know the comics, so, I'm not claiming he actually took over his arc, just the position of wise older man with a strong concern for what is "right")