Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 18 2013, 11:17 PM   #31
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Genre switching sequels?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
(Who the hell knew what the fifth one was supposed to be?)
The only TOS movie to actually resemble the show!
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 11:26 PM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
(Who the hell knew what the fifth one was supposed to be?)
The only TOS movie to actually resemble the show!
Ah, but TOS tended to switch genres at will: cerebral sf ("City on the Edge of Forever"), war movie ("Balance of Terror"), pulp action-adventure ("Gamesters of Triskelion"), courtroom drama ("Court-Martial), heavy-handed political allegory ("And Let That Be Your Last Battlefield), morality plays ("Conscience of the King") and even the occasional farce: "Trouble with Tribbles," "I, Mudd," "A Piece of the Action," etc.

So, arguably, all the TOS movies resemble the show, depending on which episodes you're talking about!
Old March 18 2013, 11:29 PM   #33
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

The aborted Jaws 3, People 0 script for a third Jaws movie would have taken the franchise into a Airplane!-style comedy route, instead of the horror/suspense of other entries.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 11:44 PM   #34
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Ah, but TOS tended to switch genres at will: cerebral sf ("City on the Edge of Forever"), war movie ("Balance of Terror"), pulp action-adventure ("Gamesters of Triskelion"), courtroom drama ("Court-Martial), heavy-handed political allegory ("And Let That Be Your Last Battlefield), morality plays ("Conscience of the King") and even the occasional farce: "Trouble with Tribbles," "I, Mudd," "A Piece of the Action," etc.

So, arguably, all the TOS movies resemble the show, depending on which episodes you're talking about!
True to an extent (Wrath of Khan is pretty similar to Balance of Terror, really) but ST V is easily the film that most resembles TOS which is why it's a shame fans hate it.

I feel the same about the much maligned Insurrection in relation to TNG.
Old March 18 2013, 11:54 PM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

True to an extent (Wrath of Khan is pretty similar to Balance of Terror, really) but ST V is easily the film that most resembles TOS which is why it's a shame fans hate it.

On the other hand, you could argue that TVH (which I love and you dislike) has much in common with fish-out-of-water time travel eps like "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and "Assignment: Earth." Not to mention latter-day Trek eps like "Future's End" on VOYAGER.

(Probably not a coincidence that I've written sequels to both of those TOS eps, which were among my favorites when I was a kid.)

Last edited by Greg Cox; March 19 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 12:03 AM   #36
Christopher
Writer

I don't know why you'd think that. Maybe it resembled third-season TOS, but at its root, TOS was intended to be a naturalistic drama with believable characterization, while TFF was a broad, self-mocking action-comedy whose priorities did not include believability.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 12:14 AM   #37
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

The Jay and Silent Bob films went from Indie comedy to 80s sex comedy to a fairly serious relationship film to a religious fantasy epic to a show business satire and back to an Indie comedy. Quite a genre range there.

The TV show Prison Break started as an escape/conspiracy serial, evolved into a Fugitive-type series, then went back to the escape/conspiracy serial and then transformed into a massive heist show in its final season.
Sto-Vo-Kory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 12:15 AM   #38
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't know why you'd think that. Maybe it resembled third-season TOS, but at its root, TOS was intended to be a naturalistic drama with believable characterization, while TFF was a broad, self-mocking action-comedy whose priorities did not include believability.
Well, I strongly disagree on that one. It resembles a low-tier second season episode to me, from once the show had established its traditional Star Trek formula.
Old March 19 2013, 01:15 AM   #39
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Ohmigod, how have we forgotten this one?

HIGHLANDER was a basically a sword-and-sorcery adventure set in modern times and ancient Scotland. The sequel, HIGHLANDER: THE QUICKENING, was this weird, futuristic, scifi thing that insanely retconned the Highlander into an alien from another planet!

Along the same lines, you have THE BEASTMASTER, which was pure sword-and-sorcery, followed by a sequel, BEASTMASTER 2: THROUGH THE PORTAL OF TIME, which had brought the hero into modern times for a more scifi-tinged adventure.

(Just to complicate matters, the first movie was very loosely based on a novel by Andre Norton, which was science fiction, not fantasy.)
Old March 19 2013, 04:13 AM   #40
Christopher
Writer

^I was trying to forget Highlander: The Quickening. I imagine everyone who ever saw the movie has tried to forget it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 04:58 AM   #41
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I only know of it as a punchline.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 09:55 AM   #42
Starkers
Admiral

Neither will ever be in my top five of Trek films (you didn't ask but; TWOF, FC, TUC, Abrahms Trek and probably TVH orTMP depending how I'm feeling!) but both are unfairly treated, and I'd say in both cases what I like about them is that arguably the characters seem closer to how they were in their respective shows than in any other films.

^I was trying to forget Highlander: The Quickening. I imagine everyone who ever saw the movie has tried to forget it.
Well I had forgotten it, thank you all so much for reminding me

a film so terrible that, as I recall, McCleod magically changes coats and swords in the middle of a duel!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 10:17 AM   #43
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Highlander 2- A film so terrible even the franchise disowned it.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 10:43 AM   #44
lurok
Commodore

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
The Evil Dead series. The first installment was a straight up horror movie...
Am I the only one who found it as funny as second? I thought it was hilarious. Though I believe the remake is much more straight horror.

Speaking of horror/sequel-switching, doesn't Hallowe'en undergo a tone shift between 2 & 3? Feels a bit more sci-fi-ey.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 11:03 AM   #45
Tiberius
Commodore

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Kill Bill.

While they are both action movies, the second one builds up the plot a lot more and has a very different feel to it. Not that I don't like it, they're both good movies. But they have very different feels.
But isn't that one story in two parts? They are called "Part 1" and "Part 2," right?
Yeah, but the two movies have very different feels. That's what I meant.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote