Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 11 2013, 07:59 PM   #76
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: After Abrams

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Abrams Trek is disposable. One day Star Trek will return to television.
Movies and TV are such different businesses with different audiences that there's no reason the qualities or assumptions of the movies need to be brought over to TV. In fact, that would be unwise, since a TV show doesn't have the budget to re-create the visual splendor and action of a summer tentpole movie. And the audience will demand a different approach - more complex, more serialized - in keeping with what they expect from cable or streaming dramas.

Star Trek won't be back on broadcast since the financials wouldn't work out, unless there's some kind of co-production deal between CBS and Netflix or Amazon, in which case the format will be a compromise between broadcast and streaming expectations, possibly with the structure and tone of DS9. On cable or streaming alone, it would be darker than DS9 and completely serialized rather than the half & half approach of DS9.

I wouldn't assume the audience for TV/streaming have seen the movies or understood that there are two different realities now, or that they even care. The issue can be avoided or maybe addressed only indirectly.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 08:02 PM   #77
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Star Trek won't be back on broadcast since the financials wouldn't work out, unless there's some kind of co-production deal between CBS and Netflix or Amazon, in which case the format will be a compromise between broadcast and streaming expectations, possibly with the structure and tone of DS9.
Nice idea. You really should have mentioned it before.
Old March 11 2013, 08:04 PM   #78
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
But to say that Trek fans are some how defeated because Abrams Trek is popular is pure non-sense.
The popularity of Abrams' movies is the only reason we have a prayer of seeing Star Trek back on TV/streaming to begin with. He makes visual/action movies because that's how tentpole movies are nowadays. He's just doing what works. On TV/streaming, whoever takes over would do what works for that medium. Even if it's still Abrams or maybe Bob Orci in charge, the results would be very different.
Old March 11 2013, 08:05 PM   #79
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Star Trek won't be back on broadcast since the financials wouldn't work out, unless there's some kind of co-production deal between CBS and Netflix or Amazon, in which case the format will be a compromise between broadcast and streaming expectations, possibly with the structure and tone of DS9.
Nice idea. You really should have mentioned it before.
If you're tired of seeing the same people see the same things over and over, what are you doing at TrekBBS?
Old March 11 2013, 08:11 PM   #80
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

If you're tired of seeing the same people see the same things over and over, what are you doing at TrekBBS?
Yeah, that's what you told me last time.
Old March 11 2013, 11:33 PM   #81
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Oh crap, I'm seeing the number 3 everywhere!
Old March 12 2013, 08:54 AM   #82
Thete
Ensign

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Thete

I love Abrams Trek for what it is, and for me it's all part of the same entity, but it's not as intelligent as it could have been. Yes, there are films which fleshed out their characters to such an extent.
Old March 15 2013, 06:10 PM   #83
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I think we're done with the old TOS characters, frankly. The 2nd ST movie is coming and I suspect there will be a 3rd, and then that's it. Abrams will be focusing more intently upon Star Wars (*cough*). Actually, I think he'll do a better job than Lucas did with episodes 1,2,&3 (which I didn't care for; very flat directing leaving key actors appearing as cardboard).

I agree with folks here about a TNG reboot. While the Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio is legendary, the Abrams reboot is going to end and most certainly won't be made into a TV series (TV-->Movies, but very rare Movies-->TV works).

Even though TNG was tired by the 7th season, that was mostly because of the characters. We saw them developed enough that there wasn't much more to do... and besides, they were starting to age and ready to move on. I see enormous potential to take the TNG scenario with new characters and incorporate new story themes, many of which can reflect struggles we face today... the Star Trek tradition.
Old March 15 2013, 07:22 PM   #84
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I do think TNG will be redone at some point. But outside of Picard, Worf and Data, the other characters will be reimagined to the point that they're not recognizable or will be replaced by new characters all together.
Old March 15 2013, 07:46 PM   #85
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
... and besides, they were starting to age and ready to move on.
With the exceptions of Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner, I don't think that is true in the least.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 07:51 PM   #86
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
With the exceptions of Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner, I don't think that is true in the least.
The only reason they weren't ready to move is because they had no place else to go.
Old March 16 2013, 02:19 AM   #87
The Wormhole
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
The only reason they weren't ready to move is because they had no place else to go.
Patrick Stewart had X-Men. Although, admittedly his role wasn't that large in those movies. Hell, he spends most of the first one in a coma, is captured in the second, and killed in the third.

I'm not spoiler coding movies from 13, 10, and 7 years ago.
Old March 18 2013, 09:08 PM   #88
xortex
Commodore

Star Trek is over. There is no after Abrams unless you have a magatronic bomb. The man is Jewish after all. He's not stupid as well as a not very talented thinker.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 12:46 AM   #89
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

What does being Jewish have to do with anything?
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 01:10 AM   #90
The Wormhole
Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
Star Trek is over. There is no after Abrams unless you have a magatronic bomb. The man is Jewish after all. He's not stupid as well as a not very talented thinker.
There's a line, and you just crossed it.