Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old February 25 2013, 11:53 AM   #16
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Captain Klaa - translator

I have no idea what a perscan is, to be honest. I assume they be them fancy belt thingies due to obviousness, but I had no idea they had a name.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 12:14 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Metryq wrote: View Post
Umm...what? Let me think: warp drive, phasers, communicators, transporters and some new tech like the Genesis device. Were there some faxes or chemical powered rockets I'm not remembering? Really, I'm drawing a blank here—what "huge technological downgrade" are you talking about? Kirk's print book and spectacles? (The glasses were explained due to Kirk's allergy to retinox.) Was there the squeal of a 1400 baud modem from Uhura's comm station? Wooden wagon wheels on the Enterprise? Solutrean spear points on the photon torpedoes?
Meyer wanted Hornblower in space, not Rodenberry's world where the sonic showers materialize clothes onto you, where everything was automated. In STII they were almost manually loading photon torpedoes, picking up grates and preparing the launchers. Why? To evoke preparing cannons on a sail ship. In fact, the idea of photon torpedoes as physical missiles is a rewrite/downgrade - The Making of Star Trek describes them as:

Energy pods of matter and antimatter contained and temporarily separated in a magno-photon forcefield.

There are no missile storage areas in the original 1975 Enterprise blueprints, just photon torpedo generators. In STVI they were cooking food in a kitchen, a world away from the replicator-like food slots of the original and animated shows.
They wore heavy jackets on away missions - what about the temperature-changing smart uniforms of TOS? Buttons on the turbolift in place of voice commands? WoK's infamously bulky flip-lid communicator? The Enterprise interiors were more cramped, we never saw the wide open cargo deck or rec room again.

There's no doubt that Nicholas Meyer and co. reimagined the Trekverse. It was more militant, it was more relatable to the 80's, technology was less pervasive in everyday life.
Old February 25 2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
Not to get too nerdy (says a Trek fan), but didn't the translator have different forehead bumps to Klaa.
You can't really see the forehead of the translator in ST VI, I don't think.
Old February 25 2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Timo
Admiral

Meyer wanted Hornblower in space, not Rodenberry's world
...Which sort of ignores the fact that Roddenberry's world had indeed been Hornblower in space until he got involved in making ST:TMP.

The two early movies, Wise and Meyer's, both added never before seen technologies and stripped away some previously visited ones. This was hardly worth writing home about, as TOS episodes had regularly done similar nasty things to each other when mommy and daddy weren't watching. There was some incentive to make things "contemporary", but an even greater desire to distance the onscreen events from the daily news and rather liken them to bygone, fondly remembered things. Even Meyer didn't want "contemporary" with his fine-tuning, he wanted 1960s and sometimes 1940s, or their Hollywood equivalents...

You can't really see the forehead of the translator in ST VI, I don't think.
Definitely not in the movie (all you can tell there is that the mustache looks roughly similar). In some backstage pictures, perhaps?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 03:02 AM   #20
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
If anything, TMP was the movie to dumb down treknology big time. Suddenly, robust small spacecraft that had looked like something Flash Gordon or Dan Dare would be comfortable with (the TOS shuttle) were back to looking like fragile NASA hardware (the workbees and their container trains). Docking maneuvers took aeons, compared with the swift shuttle launch and recovery procedures of TOS. Sturdy space stations like K-7 were "succeeded" by 20th-century-realistic scaffolding. Getting out of the ship suddenly required docking ports and airlocks, with dedicated operating crew operating dedicated control consoles for said. And transporter rooms went from utilitarian staging areas with lots of vanity covering to techno-temples with exposed machinery and a glass booth to protect the operator.

I'm surprised the movie didn't insist on having the phasers spit out spent cartridges...

As for Klaa in STVI, a quick comparison:

ST V forehead here

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tffhd1946.jpg

ST VI forehead here only...

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tuchd1100.jpg

Any ideas on backstage pictures where the latter could actually be seen?

Timo Saloniemi
Eh not so sure about this..the pods used for docking were meant to be used in situations where shuttles weren't needed, they still had shuttles and a huge hangar bay. Docking without opening the huge space doors seems practical in many cases, especially for one or two man parties.

The work bees seem like a perfectly logical use of modular technology, which was postulated for most of the STTMP equipment. All more easily interchangeable than modern space equipment would appear.

The fact that Epsilon 9 was so huge is impressive, it uses some simple technology to interlock it all. We saw nothing comparable to the orbiting space station or epsilon 9 as a deep space station in TOS.

RAMA
Old March 16 2013, 05:14 AM   #21
Data Holmes
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I feel bad for Capt. Klaa. He went from commanding his own ship to being a translator? That can't be a promotion in the Klingon Empire.
It was probably part of Klaa's punishment for screwing up in ST V.
I always thought that Klaa volenteered to serve as Kirk's translator. He knew Kirk as a man of honor, and they had earned each others respect by the end of the Sha Ka Re informal "conference".
Old March 18 2013, 10:16 AM   #22
Timo
Admiral

...One wonders where Klaa would have learned English, though. Or are these "translators" in fact just censors, monitoring the workings of the UT as it translates the languages, and editing out anything that might cast the accused in a good light?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 07:11 PM   #23
Marsden
Commander

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
I always thought that Klaa volenteered to serve as Kirk's translator. He knew Kirk as a man of honor, and they had earned each others respect by the end of the Sha Ka Re informal "conference".
That's what I was going to say!

I've read that it's just another character played by the same actor, as in here and here, but I like that backstory better.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 07:48 AM   #24
Leto_II
Lieutenant Commander

In the various Okuda resources (the Chronology and Encyclopedia), he pretty much outright says that Klaa is the translator in Star Trek VI, from what I remember, so this notion actually made it into a number of "official" Paramount publications, as well.
Old October 10 2013, 10:31 PM   #25
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

didn't the translator have different forehead bumps to Klaa.
They do not discuss it with outsiders...
Old October 10 2013, 11:33 PM   #26
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Not to get too nerdy (says a Trek fan), but didn't the translator have different forehead bumps to Klaa. Same actor, different bumps (said the nerdy...).

Sir Rhosis
Bumps change. Ask Worf or Kor.
Old October 11 2013, 02:37 AM   #27
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Leto_II wrote: View Post
In the various Okuda resources (the Chronology and Encyclopedia), he pretty much outright says that Klaa is the translator in Star Trek VI, from what I remember, so this notion actually made it into a number of "official" Paramount publications, as well.
Okuda says a lot of things.
Old October 11 2013, 02:45 AM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

IIRC, you can't see the translator clearly (he is in darkness in the broadcast booth) so we have no idea what his forehead ridges look like.
Old October 13 2013, 11:35 PM   #29
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Given how different the ridges in STVI were from those in STV -- which were smooth and uniform -- I'd say there's no question Bryant sported a different forehead the second time around. Then again, Worf sported different foreheads during TNG's run, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Old October 16 2013, 02:38 AM   #30
xvicente
Commander

Ridges? who cares about ridges? Of course it's Klaa. STVI was written so to get everyone on board. Adm Cartwright, who worked so hard during the whale probe crisis, rebranded as the bad guy (I'd call him Cartwright-refit); Sarek hammered into a scene to do essentially nothing just because he is Sarek; Saavik (with her name changed). Clearly Meyer wasn't very inspired and just delivered a custom order by Paramount who was scared VI wouldnt be more profitable than V.

But if anyone really has a problem with ridges, remember Worf himself changed during the TNG run and no one went "hey, who is this other Klingon -- and where's Worf?".

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote