RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,671
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 525
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 9 2013, 09:29 PM   #136
Christopher
Writer

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

"Talons" also has some unfortunate racial stereotyping and yellowface casting that makes it problematical today.

"The Daemons" is a good choice for Pertwee, but it's five episodes, not four. I won't be surprised if they do "The Three Doctors." But of the other 4-parters, I think I'd like to see either "The Curse of Peladon" or "The Time Warrior." As for Tom Baker 4-parters, there are several good candidates -- "The Ark in Space," "The Deadly Assassin," "The Robots of Death" (one of the most acclaimed serials), "Logopolis."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 03:59 PM   #137
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Do we know what Pertwee serial airs and when yet?
This is my own theory, which could admittedly be full of hot air. At anyrate, I think the pick for the Pertwee serial will be meaningful in terms of whether we'll get a multi-Doctor anniversary special.

If they pick The Three Doctors, it's to set the stage for newbies about the idea of multiple Doctors.

However, if they don't pick The Three Doctors, it's because they don't want people to expect a multi-Doctor anniversary special.

So, depending on the anniversary plans, I'm thinking it's either The Three Doctors or Terror of the Autons.

Terror fits well because its 4 episodes, introduces the Master, and showcases UNIT. It's a good way to showcase that particular era.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 05:09 PM   #138
Christopher
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
This is my own theory, which could admittedly be full of hot air. At anyrate, I think the pick for the Pertwee serial will be meaningful in terms of whether we'll get a multi-Doctor anniversary special.

If they pick The Three Doctors, it's to set the stage for newbies about the idea of multiple Doctors.

However, if they don't pick The Three Doctors, it's because they don't want people to expect a multi-Doctor anniversary special.
The problem there is that it's BBC America that's running the past-Doctor specials, and despite the name, they're not really the same entity as the BBC. They're owned by BBC Worldwide, but they're an American network with American executives (which is why they show so much American TV with only tenuous British connections, like Star Trek TNG). So the people who make the decisions about what programs BBC America will broadcast are not the same people who are making the decisions about what new Doctor Who stories BBC Cymru Wales will produce. Which means that the BBCA schedulers might not actually know what the anniversary special will be about.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 06:59 PM   #139
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I suspect that there is a stronger connection between them, particularly for Doctor Who. But, like I said, I'm only guessing!
Old March 13 2013, 07:12 PM   #140
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I could've sworn I'd seen it posted somewhere (Maybe Syfy Forums?) that Pertwee's Serial was already announced as Spearhead from Space?

ETA: Yea, here it is
http://press.bbcamerica.com/program.jsp?id=102366

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 07:29 PM   #141
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Interesting. So, if my theory holds, no multi-Doctor special. Although, I suppose they could still air The Five Doctors or The Two Doctors. But, could this be a step to not fan the fires for a multi-Doctor special?

I'm surprised they picked Spearhead. It's a bit slow in my opinion and there are better 4 part options available, including Terror of the Autons if they wanted the Autons. I think Terror does a better job with the Autons too and intros the Master. YMMV.

Mr Awe
Old March 13 2013, 08:10 PM   #142
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

^ Interesting. So, if my theory holds, no multi-Doctor special. Although, I suppose they could still air The Five Doctors or The Two Doctors. But, could this be a step to not fan the fires for a multi-Doctor special?

I'm surprised they picked Spearhead. It's a bit slow in my opinion and there are better 4 part options available, including Terror of the Autons if they wanted the Autons. I think Terror does a better job with the Autons too and intros the Master. YMMV.

Mr Awe
Yea, The first Serial is not very representative of a Doctor, and most of them aren't the best stories.The Opening Serial is best reserved for doing a full run of a Doctor's stories, IMHO

Old March 14 2013, 07:43 AM   #143
VDCNI
Captain

Spearhead is a much better story that Terror Of The Autons but Terror is more representative of the era and features the 3rd Doctor more so I'm surprised they didn't go for that.

Spearhead is getting a Blu-Ray release this year though so I wonder if they are able to show the HD version.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 12:45 PM   #144
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

VDCNI wrote: View Post
Spearhead is a much better story that Terror Of The Autons but Terror is more representative of the era and features the 3rd Doctor more so I'm surprised they didn't go for that.

Spearhead is getting a Blu-Ray release this year though so I wonder if they are able to show the HD version.
They didn't show the superior versions of The Aztecs or Tomb of the Cybermen, so, I very much doubt they'll show the Superior version of Spearhead From Space, before it's released.

Old March 14 2013, 01:56 PM   #145
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Mr Awe
I think "Spearhead..." does neatly establish the Third Doctor's exile on Earth, the beginning of his association with UNIT, and his official working relationship with the Brigadier--all of them comprising a big chunk of the show's overall history. The Autons might just be gravy, but they could also serve as the link to the show's 2005 revival with "Rose," IMO.
Old March 16 2013, 08:31 PM   #146
publiusr
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post

"The Daemons" is a good choice for Pertwee, but it's five episodes, not four.
Delgado was his evil best in that. Sad if they don't choose it. Maybe if the don't run the previous flashback--they had Aztecs and Tomb together last time.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 01:06 AM   #147
Procutus
Admiral

If they do go with 'Spearheads', at least it has the virtue of being the first DW ep shot in color.

I've not seen that one and it would be cool to see it as it was Pertwee's first outing. I'd rather see 'The Time Warrior' again, but will be happy with whatever we end up with.
Old March 18 2013, 01:09 PM   #148
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Spearhead from Space also has the advantage of having one of the more iconic shots from Classic Who.
Old March 18 2013, 01:27 PM   #149
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Spearhead from Space also has the advantage of having one of the more iconic shots from Classic Who.
Three looking into the mirror and complaining?
Old March 18 2013, 01:35 PM   #150
Mr Light
Admiral

The Autons breaking out of the glass displays in the mall?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote