Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 14 2013, 02:46 PM   #16
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead
Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

I like Tricia Helfer's Kerrigan. It's Zeratul's voice I can't get used to. I know the original voice actor passed away but the new guy just doesn't have the same oomph.
Old March 14 2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Jeyl
Commodore

Yoda wrote: View Post
Oh, and I like Tricia Helfer's voice. It makes me think of BSG. Brings a smile to my face it does.
Yeah, that's my number one issue with her voice. I don't want to listen to Kerrigan and be reminded of Battlestar Galactica's sex appeal character. I want to hear KERRIGAN!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Kelthaz
Commodore

It's been so long since I've played the original StarCraft that I don't even remember the old voice. I also haven't seen BSG, so I have no complaints with Helfer.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:20 PM   #19
Jeyl
Commodore

I'm four missions into the campaign and I can already tell you that this is one of the worst written games I've played in a long time. The characters are so incredibly stupid and wooden that they almost feel like they came from Prometheus. There's this one instance where a character fools another character without any tangible proof, and they fall for it. Hook line and sinker! Have we forgotten that deceit exists in this universe??

And you know what's worse? You know what's really worse? A rough cut of the expansion's ending was leaked online two years ago, and they used it. This was a major disgrace because the ending was so moronic and so full of retcons that it couldn't possibly be taken seriously. In fact, it even relies on one of those stupid film techniques where "If the camera doesn't see or hear them, none of the characters can" that makes the characters come off as both blind of deaf.

Old March 16 2013, 12:58 AM   #20
Jeyl
Commodore

"This view makes me think of my old comrade,
Sleep well my friend."

Ok, you won Brownie Points for that one Blizzard.
Old March 16 2013, 05:54 AM   #21
Captain Qwert Jr
Captain

I, too, prefer single player, and I just finished a Normal run.
Thoughts:
-Like the previous voice actor better. Her voice was girly-er.
-Why did they take 2 years? Sadly, just to make cut scenes.
-The Zerg aren't badly done, but they just don't have a fraction of the charm of the Space Rednecks.
-You have a tremendous amount of unit customization. None of which are really necessary on Normal single player. Swarming with your unit of choice is still your best bet.
-Kerrigan's still pretty evil. Hard to feel anything for someone after they killed their first million people.
-Overall, I'd give what I played a B-. It wasn't dull, the production values are first rate, but it honestly brings nothing new to Real Time Strategy Games.
Captain Qwert Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 06:51 PM   #22
Kelthaz
Commodore

I think the writing is fine, but the padding is just awful. Yes, it was an issue in Wings of Liberty too, but I still hate it. You remember how in the original StarCraft & Brood War each campaign was 8-10 missions and every single mission was connected to the plot? Well, say goodbye to that. Now most of the missions are just MMORPG styled fetch quests to pad out the game with the plot missions scattered haphazardly around the game. The story is good when we get to it, but I really wish the campaign was shorter and more tightly focused.

Old March 17 2013, 08:26 PM   #23
Jeyl
Commodore

Finished the game. I would like to make some points about the ending for I feel that what we got is a resounding improvement over the leaked ending I was referring to a couple of posts ago. Now it's not a great ending, but it's one that doesn't bother me in the slightest which at this point in Blizzard's story telling department is a bloody relief.

To summarize, I had three major issues with the leaked ending that involved the story and the execution. Two of the three problems were fixed while one remains the same. After digesting both endings, I concluded that if I was given a choice of which two of the three problematic parts of the ending I would get fix, it would be the same ones that Blizzard picked, so kudos to Blizzard.

Old March 17 2013, 09:49 PM   #24
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

As someone who kind of got bored early on with Wings of Valor (and plenty of other distractions as well ) and thus didn't finish, how would you characterize Kerrigan's evolution in the newer games? Good or bad? Personally I really liked how she was handled in the original, as someone who started off as an ally and got mutated into an enemy with her own agenda. Brood War was a lot of fun not only for how the specific missions tied into each other, but for Kerrigan's ability to manipulate others for the benefit of the Zerg.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 10:16 PM   #25
Kelthaz
Commodore

Unicron wrote: View Post
how would you characterize Kerrigan's evolution in the newer games? Good or bad?
Defiled.

Old March 18 2013, 02:43 AM   #26
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Finished the game on Brutal. First of all.. Brutal difficulty was ridiculously easy. I remember struggling some in Wings of Liberty... I don't know if I just got better... or if the game got way easier... I'm leaning towards the latter. I found myself collecting the mission specific "Normal" achievements on Brutal without even slowing down. This was a total cakewalk.

I hate the focus on Kerrigan as a hero unit... complete with her own upgrade path. Ugh. Really didn't serve the gameplay at all. Sure, WoL had some heroes, and the obligatory hero only units... but you'd actually manage your army. All you have to do in this game is press F2, attack move, and spam abilities. I never really even felt the need to build base defense or anything. A far cry from the bunkers and heroic SCVs who fixed them in WoL. Who needs defense when you can conjure up six banelings out of thin air and oh when they explode they can also heal you...

The Evolution Missions were just kind of silly. I get why they're there, so you can try before you buy... but the execution fell flat.

Almost 3 years to crank out this expansion pack? Sorry, but that's a joke.
Old March 18 2013, 08:56 AM   #27
Captain Qwert Jr
Captain

Yoda wrote: View Post

I hate the focus on Kerrigan as a hero unit... complete with her own upgrade path. Ugh. Really didn't serve the gameplay at all. Sure, WoL had some heroes, and the obligatory hero only units... but you'd actually manage your army. All you have to do in this game is press F2, attack move, and spam abilities. I never really even felt the need to build base defense or anything. A far cry from the bunkers and heroic SCVs who fixed them in WoL. Who needs defense when you can conjure up six banelings out of thin air and oh when they explode they can also heal you...
Not to mention being able to summon a Zerg Death Star every 5 minutes. Good God, is she unbalanced! It would have been an entirely different game without her.
Captain Qwert Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 09:24 AM   #28
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Lol, yeah the Death Star ability is nuts. I also like how when the cooldown is just about up you can send it to wreak havoc on a complete suicide mission only to regenerate with full health and energy a few seconds later...

I think the hero stuff worked better in Warcraft 3.

Oh, also, I didn't build a single air unit during the course of the game. It was pretty rare that I'd have to make so much as a Hydralisk.... Kerrigan + Death Star = game over... before you get Death Star you're fine just sniping Banshees or Battlecruisers with the Q button with a couple of Queens hanging out for moral support... the Vikings will just land so they can get their asses handed to them.
Old March 18 2013, 06:03 PM   #29
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

That sounds troubling to me. StarCraft made good impressions because it achieved an excellent balance between the three races, and also kept the lower units like Marines and Hydralisks perpetually useful. They didn't simply fall by the wayside once you got up to Battlecruisers. Personally I like to think that, of the three races, the Zerg had the greatest potential to be unbalanced or not work right because of their unique abilities, but they did work. Blizzard got it right back then.

I hate to say it, but the more I hear, the less interested I am in HotS. :/ I will admit, I wasn't a huge fan of WoL requiring online access all the time for Battle.net. But perhaps I'm simply old fashioned.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 06:23 PM   #30
Yoda
Rear Admiral

The online access thing is a bit of a pain. Played a bit the first few days... and it worked but the "Achievement Service" went offline, so eventually I had to redo the first few missions on Brutal just so it would give me credit for having done it, even though the game itself listed my completion time for that difficulty on every level.

I wouldn't say low tier units become useless. You can pretty much march through the game with Zerglings and Roaches. I did mix in some Ultralisks and Aberrations near the end.