Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 14 2013, 08:42 AM   #16
Harvey
Admiral

Re: The Netflix Thread

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
How can House of Cards cost much more than 4.5 million dollars?!
It has an exceptional cast which includes several feature film actors, which doesn't cover the rest of the program's above-the-line talent. David Fincher can't come cheap, and he is only the most recognizable figure behind the camera.

Add to that extensive location shooting and it isn't hard to see how the costs got away from them.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:15 PM   #17
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

But the article said that it started with a cost of $4.5 million and went much higher from there. The cast would have already been paid down by then.
Old March 14 2013, 05:40 PM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

David Fincher is a director notorious for shooting dozens of takes, if not more. He only directed the first two episodes, but that kind of shooting ratio is not typical of television and expensive. Recall that The Social Network had a production budget between $40 and $50 million.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 08:50 PM   #19
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

jayceee wrote: View Post
Wonder how soon dvds (and blurays) will also disappear from the market, whether retail or rental.
I still have a godawful number of titles in my DVD queue, not available on streaming. I suspect there just isn't interest or bandwidth for Netflix/Amazon to do the deals for all of them.

But the "long tail" library is still a significant draw for subscribers. Everyone has their niche interest, so it's worthwhile for Netflix to serve those interests as long as it takes them no extra trouble or expense. Amazon and Netflix are both investing a lot more effort into high profile stuff, either new or doing deals for top movies and TV series.

Amazingly Netflix's profit margins are much higher for DVDs vs streaming, counterintuitively since DVDs should be more expensive - pressing, mail and personnel - which just goes to show how expensive streaming rights are.

...each streaming subscriber is worth only $2.40 in profit each quarter to Netflix, compared to $17.32 for each DVD subscriber. The old business was very lucrative. The new business kind of sucks. The economics are very different. The DVD business had fixed costs, while Netflix is forced to negotiate streaming licenses on a case by case basis with each media company.
DVDs will dwindle, but extinction is not yet on the radar.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 04:49 AM   #20
cylkoth
Commodore

Studios are not making streaming rights available to everything they release on disc, no matter how old it may be. The push for exclusive deals-mirroring the war that was originated by HBO and Showtime years ago, as both started locking the entire outputs of studios under multi year contracts ( instead of on a movie by movie basis) will also fuel the disc sector for those who won't be subscribing to every pay TV service to get the titles they desire. HBO has Fox, Universal, and corporate sibling Warners Bros, under exclusive contract for at least a decade. Starz just re-upped with Sony, Netflix will have Disney theatricals when the Mouse's current contract will Starz ends next year, Epix is owned by Paramount/MGM/Lionsgate, and gets the movies from those-but due to low distribution on cable, sells streaming rights to Netflix, Amazon, and now Redbox to add to their bottom line. That leaves Showtime with a smattering of independents-btw, while SHO is part of CBS' division, Paramount is under Viacom (keeping track of the split up holdings of the formerly single Viacom/CBS gives me a headache), and the Paramount brass missed being in the pay cable arena and launched Epic, screwing SHO out of access to current Par movies....
For that reason, DVD/blu-ray will continue to be relevant for years to come.

Last edited by cylkoth; March 15 2013 at 05:06 AM.
cylkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 10:22 PM   #21
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Netflix also has an animated children's show in development through DreamWorks Animation.
The new series, "Turbo: F.A.S.T." -- short for "Fast Action Stunt Team" -- is to debut in December in the United States and the 39 other countries where Netflix offers its online subscription service. The program will continue the animated exploits of the movie's snail hero, Turbo, who in the film pursues the improbable dream of competing in the Indianapolis 500.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 11:15 PM   #22
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

We use Netflix quite a bit, especially the kids. We have streaming and 1 DVD at a time.

I use it with my laptop when I'm on the road. Currently, I'm watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia from the beginning.

As has already been mentioned, I hope they get better streaming choices. I would pay more for that. I am anxiously awaiting Arrested Development!

Still, I watch an appalling amount of network TV and cable channels. I also watch more football than is healthy for a person. You can have my DirecTV remote when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 11:28 PM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Netflix also has an animated children's show in development through DreamWorks Animation.
The new series, "Turbo: F.A.S.T." -- short for "Fast Action Stunt Team" -- is to debut in December in the United States and the 39 other countries where Netflix offers its online subscription service. The program will continue the animated exploits of the movie's snail hero, Turbo, who in the film pursues the improbable dream of competing in the Indianapolis 500.
So they are making a CARS tv series?
Old March 18 2013, 02:26 AM   #24
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

1001001 wrote: View Post
We use Netflix quite a bit, especially the kids. We have streaming and 1 DVD at a time.

I use it with my laptop when I'm on the road. Currently, I'm watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia from the beginning.

As has already been mentioned, I hope they get better streaming choices. I would pay more for that. I am anxiously awaiting Arrested Development!

Still, I watch an appalling amount of network TV and cable channels. I also watch more football than is healthy for a person. You can have my DirecTV remote when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

We have Netflix and DirecTV, too. DirecTV has an obscene number of movie channels. We've got the package that gave us all of the movie channels for 3 months absolutely free. At the end of the trial, I'll probably just stick with HBO, but for right now, I have about 2,000 movies that I can watch any time I want. It's insane.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 06:28 PM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Another Hemlock Grove trailer. Seems like an odd follow-up to HoC. They probably are aimed at entirely different audiences - and if the baseline for success is 2-3M viewers, there's no need for significant overlap - but it might give an odd impression for Netflix's branding, that you'd have an HBO-ish prestige series and then something that looks like a bloodier version of a CW show.

Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 05:18 PM   #26
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

What's frustrating sometimes with Netflix - that has nothing to do with Netflix and more with me - every friggin' time I decide "I'm going to buy that season of that show on DVD because it's cheap and I dunno how long it'll be before Netflix gets it and I want it now!" they put it on Netflix like 3-4 weeks after I buy it!

Case in point the last season of Weeds - I thought "Well maybe it'll be a while before it's up on Netflix - took them ages to get past Season 3, sure Season 7 came out pretty quick, but that could have been a fluke." Hah oh well. DVD still sort of trumps streaming if you like a show since obviously you don't get the special features, commentaries or bonus content from retailers like Target or Best Buy when they toss in an extra disk.

But it took them months to get Mad Men season 5 on Instant Stream - so it's sort of weird how some take longer and others are up practically in time with the physical release, short of a few weeks - even like Archer Season 3, that took a few months but still, it was a lot faster than their getting Season 2 up.

I love my Netflix subscription - sure they have a lot of 'meh' movies and tv shows too - but there's so much content that really if anyone runs out of stuff to watch, has a very narrow interest in movies and tv or judges it on a few weeks of using it and only looks at the main page and goes "eh nothing I want to watch" - there's a lot of good stuff hidden around too.

Honestly now that I have a Roku box in my bedroom, I hardly use the cable box in there anymore. Now that Time Warner has a Roku app for quite a few stations and all I'm waiting for is their On Demand to get an app like they have for iPad/Android/PC I would really consider dumping my second cable box. Between Netflix, TWC and Vudu - if there's something I REALLY want to see or get a freebie - or there's a show that isn't up on Netflix yet and I figure - frak it I'll just buy it.

Now the thing that we really need to work on as a WORLD - is making broadband internet ubiquitous and cheap - I feel sorry for my friends in Canada or Australia where they're kinda stuck with data caps and expensive internet.
Old March 26 2013, 07:29 PM   #27
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
We should talk, I have a few TV series I'd like to see on Netflix. Can you go out and by the DVD sets so your magic can kick in and I can watch them on Netflix?

I'm excited, because on Saturday, we're getting a ton of Cartoon Network/Adult Swim shows, including Justice League, Batman Beyond, [i]Batman: The Brave and the Bold[/url], Samurai Jack and more!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 01:18 AM   #28
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

AWWWRIGHT! I've been dyin' to see more of Justice League - that was on juuuust before I got cable again after like 12 years of just going with basic tv lol

Although it's funny - I mean I bought the Knight Rider dvd sets for like ten bucks at Best Buy last year around my birthday and then... Netflix streams it all again LOL Same thing with Farscape - they did every season except for 4 - so I buy four at Walmart -and guess what... it winds up on instant stream!

I wish Street Hawk would get on there - not that it was so great a show - but it's been ages since I've seen it and while I have most of the series on VHS that I taped off tv back in the day - I don't have a working vcr anymore.

But I WAS tempted to buy some Robot Chicken DVDs so it's nice to see those on there finally. I never could justify buying the disks, other than for the special features -since really a whole season is only a few hours - each episode is only 15 minutes or so. Same with Metalpocylpse and other Adult Swim shows.
Old March 27 2013, 01:37 AM   #29
jayceee
Commander

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post

Although it's funny - I mean I bought the Knight Rider dvd sets for like ten bucks at Best Buy last year around my birthday and then... Netflix streams it all again LOL Same thing with Farscape - they did every season except for 4 - so I buy four at Walmart -and guess what... it winds up on instant stream!

I wish Street Hawk would get on there - not that it was so great a show - but it's been ages since I've seen it and while I have most of the series on VHS that I taped off tv back in the day - I don't have a working vcr anymore.
These days I just rip my dvds to the computer, and watch it on the computer. If I feel like it, I'll connect the computer to the big screen tv via hdmi.

But yeah, it seems like a waste buying dvds/blurays of mediocre stuff that is available as flat fee streaming, which I'll probably only watch once or twice.

Many tv shows seem like that, including Knight Rider and Streethawk.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 01:40 AM   #30
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Yeah I mean pretty nearly all my tv show dvds - entire run of SG1 I think I watched through a couple of times and I haven't touched in ages. And to think how much I spent on them too and this was before they got really cheap - I think I paid like $35-40 a season on Amazon and then in store. Now heh under $20 a season - amazing though how inexpensive even Star Trek dvds can be found for - remember when the first TNG and DS9 sets came out - they were like a hundred bucks a set or something?