Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 16 2013, 04:34 AM   #91
Warped9
Admiral

Re: A parade of spaceships...

Candidly I'm not interested in doing the Mongo ship as I don't find it as visually appealing as the Zarkov Rocket Ship. I want to move onto other things.

When I scaled my model earlier I made a boo-boo. I measured it to from nose to tail and forgot about the aft wheel housing which actually extends a bit farther than the tail. And so my length overall is actually 53' - 9-11/32" or 16.431492m.

Speaking of scaling this does bring me back to discussing the interior.It really is a foreshadowing of what would be seen again in Star Trek with the TOS shuttlecraft. The full-size mock-up of the Rocket Ship is proportionally a bit shorter than the filming miniature and the access hatch is proportionally larger. There's no way whatsoever the interiors shown onscreen could fit into that mock-up. I haven't tried to scale the mock-up from screen caps, but I seriously doubt it was 50ft. in length from what I can see. Even at 53ft. in length my version can still be a bit cramped. Still, my version does allow for interiors that could seem close to what was seen onscreen.

There is another distinction, though, The ship onscreen was basically shown as a mostly empty airplane in space able to go to another world. There is next to no nod to the realities of space travel (not surprising since practically no one of the time had any real idea as to the realities). My version takes a somewhat different approach. Since we actually saw very little of the ship's interior beyond the forward compartment I've chosen to interpret what little is shown to depict a (somewhat) more credible interior layout. The one thing I didn't do was add an actual airlock since adding one would have resulted in something about the size of a closet---meaning they could exit the ship only one at a time if the outside conditions were inhospitable. Besides which the Rocket Ship (like many other sic-fi ships to follow) was depicted, perhaps unwittingly, as being more advanced than it might have been intended. They have a "counter magnet" or "gravity neutralizer" system---antigravity. In extent, although I don't recall it ever being mentioned, they evidently also have artificial gravity since no one floats out of their seat while in flight (clever man that Dr, Zarkov). Artificial gravity would also spare them from some effects of acceleration and deceleration.

The main problem with the design is that it's basically a cylinder that tapers at both ends. Unless it's meant to be a big ship than that doesn't afford you much room if you want a standing interior.
Old March 17 2013, 12:39 AM   #92
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Looking ahead I'm thinking of skipping the Rocketship Galileo and going right to one I've been thinking about for a very long time...

It's going to be a challenge to reconcile some of the shapes and lines into something coherent that really looks like the onscreen craft yet also works in 3D. There are also a fair number of interior shots regarding the cockpit and quite a few of them are generally consistent with each other.
Studying these images and sketching last night I can see contradictions. The most familiar view of the ship (as seen from above) leads one to think that the wings flow back from the nose and flare out yet fixed above the main body. But seen from below that's not how the ship is drawn. Seen from below we don't see a discernible fuselage separate from the wings. As drawn it looks like the wings are much thicker and merged with the protruding forward section. The ship is more manta ray like than bird or airplane like. I don't have a problem with that, but it makes reconciling the top view a challenge. Granted annimated ships are stylized and simplified, but a simple extra line easily added to the bottom view would have made a big difference and yet it's not there. It could be that what we're seeing from above is more of a painting scheme rather than hard lines or shapes. Also the bottom and top surfaces each appear to have a subtle crest or ridge to them as evidenced by a continuous line from bow to stern.
I am mentally wrapping cross-section lines around that thing and it just doesn't add up.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 03:31 AM   #93
Warped9
Admiral

^^ For years I tried adapting the shuttlecraft from TAS into more believable designs as if they were real rather than just drawings for animation. Last year I finally accomplished it and each design is immediately recognizable yet they do differ in order to make them work in a three dimensional world. I suspect the Phantom Cruiser will be much the same. I've already made rough elevation sketches of it to get a handle on how I think it should work and I'm almost ready to start making precise line drawings. In all likelihood it will differ a bit from what we are familiar with, but it should be immediately recognizable.
Old March 17 2013, 03:38 PM   #94
Warped9
Admiral

What you see here are the control panel, the seats and the cabin fixtures in place within the framework of the forward compartment.

The large dials on the left are not exactly where they should be simply because the shape of the set onscreen isn't the same as my model. My model follows the exterior shape of the hull while being slightly smaller in diameter (to account for some hull thickness for mechanicals. Also the onscreen set's walls are not as curved as mine. But the positioning of the dials is only slightly off. There are two fixtures missing here, though. One is a what looks to be a clock, but a window is where the clock would have been. In the serials when a window was added to the forward compartment the clock disappeared but then, of course, they had drastically changed the interior set anyway.

The other piece missing is some sort of powered system that was shown sitting right in the middle of the deck where you enter the forward compartment---stupid place to put such a thing given that the first serial interior set was shown as rather cramped to begin with. My version is slightly less tight because I was able to push the walls out some.

Of course, the main reason my interior is not too detailed is because little of it will be seen through the windows of the model anyway. It will be visible mostly if I show cross-sections of the model.

The one last thing I want to try is to see if I can add interior lights to this.
Old March 17 2013, 05:55 PM   #95
Warped9
Admiral

Almost there. Here are three views. The top image is of the forward compartment as seen from the inside just inside the central passageway. I've shown the hidden geometry so the shape of the compartment is more evident. The middle image is a glimpse of the interior as seen from outside. The bottom image is the entire ship in x-ray view to show how it all fits together.

I just realized I've forgotten one small thing. In the serials the ship had something of a periscope/telescope to look around outside, which makes some sort of sense since the largest windows are overhead and largely useless. That said I guess at the time they hadn't thought of outboard mounted cameras and viewing screens inside to see what's going on outside.

I must say I rather like that bottom image. What you might not notice is in regards to the windows. I tinted the windows blue from the outside, but from the inside I left them as perfectly clear and untinted transparencies. My thinking is it limits what can be seen from outside (and I think it looks cool) yet you have an unobstructed view outward from inside.
Old March 17 2013, 09:16 PM   #96
publiusr
Commodore

Did the Dyamaxion car come out before, or after this?
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 09:29 PM   #97
Warped9
Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
Did the Dyamaxion car come out before, or after this?
The Dymaxion was designed in 1933. This Rocket Ship was first seen in 1930.
Old March 17 2013, 11:50 PM   #98
Warped9
Admiral

Done. All that remains is a matter of finishing. I want the hull to have a somewhat shiny surface since the ship is supposed to be a shiny silver colour or almost like buffed bare metal. And I think I've found a way to add lights within SketchUp.

More X-ray views (cause I think it's kinda cool).

It's hard to tell in these images, but I have added the periscope/telescope to the main compartment. Like onscreen it's located on the port side of the main cabin. I obviously could have gotten even more detailed with the interior, but for this first time around with this design I don't see the need. I thought about adding detail to the back of the access hatch since when it swings down (as it's supposed to) there would be ladder like steps affixed to it. I might still do that if I decide to show the ship landed with the hatch open... Okay, who am I kidding? I know I will eventually do that.
Old March 19 2013, 03:16 AM   #99
Warped9
Admiral

Cool! I've finally figured out how to do proper texture mapping in SketchUp. I've also learned something about making my own textures in Photoshop. This should go a long way to helping me get the finish and colours I want for my models.
Old May 4 2013, 08:29 PM   #100
Warped9
Admiral

Swooping in victory Flash Gordon returns home...

Old May 5 2013, 08:41 AM   #101
Albertese
Commodore

Those last two shots are epic!

--Alex
Old May 5 2013, 04:55 PM   #102
Warped9
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
Looking ahead I'm thinking of skipping the Rocketship Galileo and going right to one I've been thinking about for a very long time...

It's going to be a challenge to reconcile some of the shapes and lines into something coherent that really looks like the onscreen craft yet also works in 3D. There are also a fair number of interior shots regarding the cockpit and quite a few of them are generally consistent with each other.
Studying these images and sketching last night I can see contradictions. The most familiar view of the ship (as seen from above) leads one to think that the wings flow back from the nose and flare out yet fixed above the main body. But seen from below that's not how the ship is drawn. Seen from below we don't see a discernible fuselage separate from the wings. As drawn it looks like the wings are much thicker and merged with the protruding forward section. The ship is more manta ray like than bird or airplane like. I don't have a problem with that, but it makes reconciling the top view a challenge. Granted annimated ships are stylized and simplified, but a simple extra line easily added to the bottom view would have made a big difference and yet it's not there. It could be that what we're seeing from above is more of a painting scheme rather than hard lines or shapes. Also the bottom and top surfaces each appear to have a subtle crest or ridge to them as evidenced by a continuous line from bow to stern.
I am mentally wrapping cross-section lines around that thing and it just doesn't add up.
I'm beginning to have a kernel of an idea about this. Basically take the side elevation profile of the ship (when I draw it) and use that as the essential cross-section of everything as it flows back into the shape of the wings. Note, too, that there appears to be a bit of upsweep in the wings from about midway out from the fuselage. While sketching I'm pretty convinced that you wouldn't see much of the fuselage as distinct. It will look very much like a wing all the way across with the thickest part in the middle as the main body. There will be something organic about the final result. Add in the fact that there are no discernible exhaust ports on this thing. Extrapolating from that the ship incorporates all its drive systems within its smooth hull and the drive systems must include some form of antigrav system as well as something very advanced for FTL propulsion.

Of course, that's beside the point. The main objective is to get a 3D shape that looks as close as possible to the 2D images we're familiar with. And note, too, that onscreen we get essentially only two views of the ship---from above and from below. Once we get a 3D shape we'll be able to see some interesting angles to it. I say this because I've been trying to sketch those views while trying to wrap my head around the wings flow into the fuselage.

It's going to be interesting.
Old May 5 2013, 07:37 PM   #103
Warped9
Admiral

This is pretty self-exclamatory. I might have to do so minor tweaking, but these are essentially the profiles of the fuselage.

Old May 5 2013, 08:47 PM   #104
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Swooping in victory Flash Gordon returns home...

Wow, they sure complete to top of the Empire State Building fast...unfinished as Flash approached, finished after he passes.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2013, 09:12 PM   #105
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Doh! on my part. I just looked for some skylines of New York from the 1930s.

Actually isn't it only the top pic where it's incomplete?