Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 17 2013, 08:40 PM   #211
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

What we've seen here is that there were more studio politics, UPN probs, and so on that caused the cancellation rather than quality, which ENT was at it's zenith with in season 4. This is contrary to the oft repeated mantra that ENT sucked and was cancelled for it.

RAMA
Old March 18 2013, 11:37 AM   #212
Scotty
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
What we've seen here is that there were more studio politics, UPN probs, and so on that caused the cancellation rather than quality, which ENT was at it's zenith with in season 4. This is contrary to the oft repeated mantra that ENT sucked and was cancelled for it.

RAMA
The only reason ENT was cancelled is because it was an expensive show that a lot of people weren't watching.

Don't let Braga fool you. Sure there was studio interference, but the producers and writers were still responsible for the quality of the episodes. I have no doubt that the studio gave some incredibly stupid notes to the producers, but that doesn't change the fact that B&B had no plan whatsoever for the show and the first two seasons were pretty much a pointless waste of time. I highly doubt that the studio gave notes like "We demand an episode were Trip gets pregnant" or "We'd really like to see an episode where the crew gets infected by dangerous alien pollen!". Of course they didn't.

As for the "critically acclaimed" fourth season, it's nothing more than a collection of poorly developed premises spread out across multiple episodes for budget reasons (why build sets for one episode, when we can use them for three?). Some worked (The Vulcan and Andorian arcs were quite entertaining) but most didn't (Augments? Klingon forehead mystery?) and the stand alone episodes were crap as always (Bound! These Are The Voyages! *shudder*). The overal poor quality is why people (like myself) stopped watching this show.

Of course, I haven't seen the extras on this set yet, but I am very curious if Braga can not only point out what didn't work (which isn't hard and something fans have been telling him for years) but if he can tell what his original plan was for the show and why he couldn't convince TPTB that this plan was the way to move forward.

Last edited by Scotty; March 18 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 12:53 PM   #213
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Scotty wrote: View Post
Of course, I haven't seen the extras on this set yet, but I am very curious if Braga can not only point out what didn't work (which isn't hard and something fans have been telling him for years) but if he can tell what his original plan was for the show and why he couldn't convince TPTB that this plan was the way to move forward.
He already did that on the Geek round table that got posted on TrekMovie. The original plan was to have season 1 be about building the Enterprise after a Klingon attack, gathering the crew, and dealing with politics. It didn't get approved because UPN wanted the "ship goes from place to place, alien of the week" formula of TNG.
Old March 19 2013, 01:47 PM   #214
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

^That would have been an interesting first season. The avereage casual viewer would not have been too interested though.
Old March 19 2013, 02:30 PM   #215
Tosk
Rear Admiral

The average casual viewer wasn't interested anyway.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 05:59 PM   #216
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
I'm a diehard fan, and that story wouldn't have interested me.
Old March 19 2013, 06:10 PM   #217
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Scotty wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
I'm a diehard fan, and that story wouldn't have interested me.
This.

I do wonder how much money they actually plan on spending on DS9 and Voyager HD restorations (if they do them)? Given that they didn't even spend the money to re-render the Enterprise effects that are obviously not HD.
Old March 19 2013, 06:55 PM   #218
Harvey
Admiral

I am not sure that Enterprise is much of an indicator of what will happen with those shows. It is the least popular entry in the franchise. Moreover, it was mastered in 1080p (minus the effects), unlike DS9 or VOY.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 10:01 PM   #219
uberfalcon
Ensign

Even though Enterprise, to me, does not stack up to TNG or TOS, I'll probably end up buying all four blu-ray sets... and probably all the DS9 and VOY blu-ray sets when they come out.

Judge each series as you wish, but they're all better than most of the junk that passes for TV shows these days.
uberfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 05:48 PM   #220
groundhog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hopefully, once they finish remastering DS9 and VOY in HD, they'll remaster ENT as well in this fashion.
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 05:15 PM   #221
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ ENT does not need to be remastered. It was made in HD from the get-go.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 05:31 PM   #222
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

season 2 cover art

i didn't see this on this thread. sorry if repost.
Season 2 carries on with the same background motif used in the first season set, this time in blue. All seven primary cast are shown in a publicity shot taken for the show's first season.
The original publicity shot that the art is taken from is shown below. The designers opted for the Season 1 cast publicity shot over the Season 2 variant (we've shown it below for comparison).
Star Trek: Enterprise Season 2 on Blu-ray cover art
http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/exc...-art-revealed/

also trailer from February. length 2:30
WATCH: Official Trailer for the First Season of ‘Star Trek: Enterprise’ on Blu-ray

after seeing Trekcore's season 1 blu-ray review
I am really stoked about the "On the Set" documentary as a making of show specifically the episode "Vox Sola". 1 week of behind-the-scenes footage shot for this!
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 08:58 PM   #223
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: season 2 cover art

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
after seeing Trekcore's season 1 blu-ray review
I am really stoked about the "On the Set" documentary as a making of show specifically the episode "Vox Sola". 1 week of behind-the-scenes footage shot for this!
This is such a great doc. It's strange seeing the total chaos inside the writers room as it happened, and how the business of television production really works. They cover everything here - even visiting the CG team and composer/orchestra for the episode soundtrack
Old March 21 2013, 09:27 PM   #224
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

Another Review: http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/rev...ay-review.html
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:37 AM   #225
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Judging from the various trailers and screenshots I've seen thus far, I'm preparing for this release to be somewhat mediocre/lackluster in terms of picture quality. Sadly, I would advise those expecting to see the visual "pop" of TNG season 1 to temper their expectations. I hope I'm wrong though.