TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 17 2013, 02:44 PM   #286
Christopher
Writer

Re: Young Justice, Green Lantern return January 5th

^Well, it wouldn't be a Greg Weisman show if it didn't end with the arc unresolved...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 04:36 PM   #287
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

I think that Weismann said that another time jump was in the cards. The thing that makes the time jumps interesting is that they have noted that Connor is not ageing. How would he deal with his friends getting older and stepping up to possibly replace their mentors while he stays time locked to the moment he was freed. Of course he would also have to contend with the fact that his "brother" will be long lived as well.

I could see Conor living long enough to become Valor in the Legion of Super Heroes
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 05:39 PM   #288
sojourner
Admiral

Valor? never heard of him. Or do you mean that guy that looked like Mon'El? Because he never existed.
Old March 17 2013, 05:50 PM   #289
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
The thing that makes the time jumps interesting is that they have noted that Connor is not ageing.
Only his appearance doesn't age.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 06:15 PM   #290
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

RIP Young Justice and Green Lantern With both these shows and clone Wars ending my Saturday mornings just got boring again.
Old March 17 2013, 09:31 PM   #291
JD
Admiral

I was wondering if Season 3 of YJ was going to shift the focus more onto new heroes brought in during the time jump. That was certainly the impression I got with Wally being "gone", and Dick quitting.
Old March 18 2013, 02:03 PM   #292
Mr Light
Admiral

I was never a huge fan of the GL cartoon but that was a pretty good ending. Where the hell were the other Corps though?! The universe was about to be destroyed!!!

Also, it was terribly convenient how Manhunters can be destroyed with a single blast now, where before it took an entire episode to beat one or three

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 02:48 PM   #293
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I think that Weismann said that another time jump was in the cards. The thing that makes the time jumps interesting is that they have noted that Connor is not ageing. How would he deal with his friends getting older and stepping up to possibly replace their mentors while he stays time locked to the moment he was freed. Of course he would also have to contend with the fact that his "brother" will be long lived as well.

I could see Conor living long enough to become Valor in the Legion of Super Heroes

Physically he stays the same but his insides are aging. We could have had a story where his heart might give out etc.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 05:42 PM   #294
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Superman can live hundreds if not thousands of years. Even with a fraction of Superman's power, he could still live a century or two.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 06:32 PM   #295
Christopher
Writer

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Superman can live hundreds if not thousands of years.
Depending on the continuity. I've seen some interpretations that implied he aged only a little slower than normal, e.g. Kingdom Come and Batman Beyond.

Old March 18 2013, 07:11 PM   #296
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

In the Kingdom Come epilogue that Ross did in JSA, he is still around in the Legion era.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 02:48 AM   #297
Santa Riker
Commodore

Who started this "Superman lives forever" BS, anyway?! That never quite made sense to me. He aged at normal speed into his late 20s, so why would that change all of the sudden?! It also kinda came out of nowhere in the 90s, I felt, and suddenly, everyone was doing it.

Anyway, GL had a nice ending, although that Manhunters got really easy to destroy felt like lazy writing. And I so hate that we won't get to see that third season of YJ, because judging by what's been set up, it'd have been awesome. I wonder what Weisman's up to next. Whatever it is, I'm likely to follow.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Santa Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 03:20 AM   #298
sojourner
Admiral

I always viewed it as a byproduct of prolonged exposure to a yellow sun. The longer he was under it's influence, the less he aged as his body became more efficient.
Old March 19 2013, 03:52 AM   #299
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Who started this "Superman lives forever" BS, anyway?! That never quite made sense to me. He aged at normal speed into his late 20s, so why would that change all of the sudden?! It also kinda came out of nowhere in the 90s, I felt, and suddenly, everyone was doing it.

Anyway, GL had a nice ending, although that Manhunters got really easy to destroy felt like lazy writing. And I so hate that we won't get to see that third season of YJ, because judging by what's been set up, it'd have been awesome. I wonder what Weisman's up to next. Whatever it is, I'm likely to follow.
I recall a plotline from the 60s 0r 70s that had Superman living so long that life on Earth dies. Later he repopulates the planet with various lifeforms gathered from across the universe.
Old March 19 2013, 04:04 AM   #300
Christopher
Writer

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
That's not true. There were stories by Elliot S! Maggin in the '70s and '80s that portrayed Superman as effectively immortal and still being around thousands of years in the future. Here's one from 1984 where he's still around in the 60th century. There may have been earlier ones in the '60s as well. After all, that was the era when Superman's powers were at their most unlimited and godlike.

As for the sense of it, there's no real inconsistency between growing up at a normal rate and senescing at a slow or nonexistent rate, because those are two distinct processes. Basically there are two competing things going on in the body, cell growth and cell death/decay. In the first phase of life, maturation, growth dominates. In the middle phase, adulthood, the two are roughly balanced. And in the latter phase, senescence, decay dominates. So if you slow decay, it could slow aging in the latter part of life without affecting maturation in the early part of life.