Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 17 2013, 02:59 PM   #1
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The AGT Dreadnought Enterprise

An old subject, but I haven't seen a thread about it for quite awhile.

The "All Good Things" future-Enterprise. Three nacelles, massive phaser cannon, little forward-facing turrets on either side of the bridge.

What do you all think of it? Fanwanky kewl upgrade? Believable refit? What we should have had instead of the Enterprise-E? Abomination? Something inbetween? I'm in the "fanwanky kewl" camp. I loved it as a kid, But it does take away whatever grace the 1701-D had. And isn't exactly in line with Starfleet's design principles. The BMF Enterprise!
Old March 17 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: The AGT Dreadnought Enterprise

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I loved it as a kid, But it does take away whatever grace the 1701-D had.
The 'D' had no grace - it is ugly and awkward. I actually prefer the 'upgrade', but I don't like either very much...
Old March 17 2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

I vote "fanwanky kewl upgrade."
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 04:08 PM   #4
The Librarian
Commodore

Starfleet's answer to the Dominion super-battleship and Borg cubes. Somewhat awkward and yet packs a big punch, making use the Galaxy's ample internal space for additional firepower. Perhaps in this timeline the Ent-D was only badly damaged over Veridian and during the refit process Starfleet decided to see what they could really do with a more combat-focused Galaxy in light of the growing Dominion threat.
The Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

It's okay, I guess. But I prefer the original look of the D.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Liked the gun, could do without the rest of the add-ons. The bridge was pretty nice though.
Old March 17 2013, 04:28 PM   #7
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I also vote "fanwanky kewl upgrade". Interesting idea, but I don't like it. It ruins the original Galaxy design.

Worst of all, it's impractical as hell.
The third nacelle location plays havoc with the whole ship. It blocks access to all the shuttlebays.

Also, the spine along the top of the stardrive section is umbilical access and support systems. That's all gone now with the nacelle sticking there. Where did all those systems go?

The BFG under the saucer evidently necessitated the removal of the captain's yacht and others things on the underside. And can the saucer still separate? Does the BFG remain and stick out? Does it separate with the saucer section?
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 04:49 PM   #8
NewHorizon
Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
I loved it as a kid, But it does take away whatever grace the 1701-D had.
The 'D' had no grace - it is ugly and awkward. I actually prefer the 'upgrade', but I don't like either very much...
The 'D' had grace until they created the 4 foot shooting model, then it had no grace. The 6 foot D was a white swan, the 4 foot D was a pit bull.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 06:07 PM   #9
davejames
Vice Admiral

I thought it worked great for that episode, but I would not have wanted to see it become the "official future Enterprise" or anything like that. I'd just never be able to take it seriously with that giant gun under the saucer.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
I also vote "fanwanky kewl upgrade". Interesting idea, but I don't like it. It ruins the original Galaxy design.

Worst of all, it's impractical as hell.
The third nacelle location plays havoc with the whole ship. It blocks access to all the shuttlebays.

Also, the spine along the top of the stardrive section is umbilical access and support systems. That's all gone now with the nacelle sticking there. Where did all those systems go?

The BFG under the saucer evidently necessitated the removal of the captain's yacht and others things on the underside. And can the saucer still separate? Does the BFG remain and stick out? Does it separate with the saucer section?
According to one fan work I know of, which fleshes out some of the starship designs, the smaller shuttlebays were removed to accommodate the third nacelle and the main shuttlebay's capacity was expanded by 75% to make up the difference. The big phaser cannon was mounted because the designers wanted heavier punch, but adding lots of torpedo launchers on the Galaxy frame wasn't ideal. The saucer can still separate.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 06:35 PM   #11
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Uuuuuuuuugly.

I saw the 4-foot model on exhibit a couple years ago. The model still had scars from where the extra pieces were. It's pretty obvious why it was never sold at auction. It's too trashed to sell.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 07:20 PM   #12
The Keeper
Commodore

Abomination!
Old March 17 2013, 08:56 PM   #13
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Not a huge fan.
Old March 17 2013, 09:20 PM   #14
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I initially liked the three-nacelle Enterprise-D until I got a good look at her and realized what a Frankenstein she was, with all sorts of new bits covering old bits, and not all of them very well.

I definitely think a true Galaxy-class refit won't look anything like that, but probably just a sleeker version of the original.
Old March 17 2013, 10:04 PM   #15
RAMA
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I initially liked the three-nacelle Enterprise-D until I got a good look at her and realized what a Frankenstein she was, with all sorts of new bits covering old bits, and not all of them very well.

I definitely think a true Galaxy-class refit won't look anything like that, but probably just a sleeker version of the original.
ST Online has a more than passable Galaxy upgrade:

Venture Class:

http://www.stowiki.org/Exploration_Cruiser_Retrofit
http://trekazoid.wordpress.com/2011/...venture-class/