Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old March 17 2013, 11:53 AM   #841
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

and you see some of yourself in Janeway? yeah...
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Old March 17 2013, 11:55 AM   #842
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

No I don't see any of myself in Janeway, at least not in my current gender. It's a matter of opposites attract.

Janeway is always in my avatars because I lust after her, not because I relate to her.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 17 2013, 12:11 PM   #843
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

ok, ok, sorry for improperly remembering a post I read a while back, but I still think Vala shouldn't have been made a regular cast member,a reoccurring character, yes, but she just always seemed out of balance in style and tone from the rest of the show
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Old March 17 2013, 12:17 PM   #844
teacake
Admiral

I completely agree, she seemed out of style and balance. But perhaps SG:1 was the more experimental team, they already had Teal'c who could just walk out any time when Jaffa business called and then walk back in. It's not like Carter could do that. And I very much grew to love the character who I was quite eye rolled about in the beginning. I think she had some great interchanges with the others though I did notice that Carter took more of a back seat at that point.. whether this was because Vala was there or for other reasons I don't know.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 17 2013, 12:47 PM   #845
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

I don't know if Carter was pushed into the background by Vala or if Tapping had lost interest like Richard Dean Anderson did, though I assume the former because she later joined Atlantis. SG-1 wasn't so much experimental as it was given exceptions. Teal'c's reasons for being on the team made sense, season 9 comes up and all we really get is HEEEEEEEEEERE'S VALA! (sitcom riff, laugh track) She was definately the new "darling" for the show I;E Voyager's Seven of Nine
Old March 17 2013, 01:53 PM   #846
AJ86
Captain

I'm not sure I can ever remember Vala being "bitchy".
Old March 17 2013, 02:42 PM   #847
DrunkUncle
Ensign

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
She was definately the new "darling" for the show I;E Voyager's Seven of Nine
Oh yeah. The writers (most notoriously Joseph Mallozzi) have stated several times that they loved writing stories for Vala.

AJ86 wrote: View Post
I'm not sure I can ever remember Vala being "bitchy".
Me neither. She is silly and witty, but not bitchy..
Old March 17 2013, 07:54 PM   #848
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I just watched Prometheus Unbound as a tie-in to my first-time watch-through of Atlantis, and I actually really like Vala; to me, she seems like a perfect fit for the style of series that SG-1 is (a MacGyver/Knight Rider/Las Vegas-type action adventure serial). She also has really noticeable chemistry with Daniel (Michael Shanks).

BTW, the reason they used her as a major recurring character in S9 is because of Tapping's pregnancy, and she obviously 'sparked' with the writers which is why they made her a regular in S10.

Re: Continuum, it's set early on in Atlantis' 5th season (between Search and Rescue and The Seed), whereas TAoT is set after Unending and before the SGA S3 finale, First Strike).

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
Old March 17 2013, 07:58 PM   #849
gturner
Admiral

The only potential SGA reference to the Asgard knowledge base that I can sort of recall (and I may be mistaken) is in the SGA series finale as some offhand reference toward the end.
Old March 17 2013, 08:30 PM   #850
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
I don't know if Carter was pushed into the background by Vala or if Tapping had lost interest like Richard Dean Anderson did, though I assume the former because she later joined Atlantis.

Nope, she did not choose to go to Atlantis, her contract forced her too. I really need to find that Gateworld interview that she did. She said she rather not have Sam go over to Atlantis but that the she was under contract and had no say. It's why she isn't in all of the Atlantis episodes in season 4 and why she isn't in season 5.

This is what Amanda Tapping said before season 4 of Atlantis...

"I am contractually obligated to the franchise for a year. I knew at the beginning of Season Ten that it was a possibility that if SG-1 went down that I might be doing some Atlantis. They exercised that option, which is fine."

She seemed so excited!

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/1...isi_for_.shtml

Last edited by bigdaddy; March 17 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old March 17 2013, 09:50 PM   #851
teacake
Admiral

I would have liked to see more Vala and Carter interchanges. At first Carter was quite irritated by her and though she kept it professional she was obviously not connecting to her at all. Then suddenly they are going on shopping trips. Wouldn't have minded a few scenes between them to show how that happened.

I think Vala freshened the whole place up. Mitchell was pleasant enough but not really different enough to do that.. we needed someone quite outside the air force mindset. And Teal'c seemed to say less in the last couple seasons than in the whole series.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 17 2013, 09:51 PM   #852
gturner
Admiral

Well, she knew to expect things like that when she joined the Air Force. She could've opted to remain a civilian, as Michael Shanks did, or even skip all the red-tape and security paperwork and remain a free Jaffa actor like Tony Amendola (CSI NCIS, Charmed, Continuum, Once Upon a Time, Terminator SCC, Zorro, Dollhouse, Dexter, etc).
Old March 17 2013, 09:57 PM   #853
Skywalker
Admiral

Vala was a huge breath of fresh air for the show. She brought a lot of energy and enthusiasm that I think the show was lacking by Season Eight, and made the show fun again.
Old March 18 2013, 09:49 AM   #854
teacake
Admiral

I AM CRACKING THE CELLOPHANE!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 18 2013, 10:55 AM   #855
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I was curious to see what affect Richard Dean Anderson's departure had on the series, so I checked out the opening credits for Season 9 and noticed that they went with a more ensemble-type format (ala SGA), and was wondering if this change was reflected in the style and tone of the show's actual content. Can anybody answer that question for me?

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."