Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 17 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Space Art in "Is There In Truth No Beauty?"

I had always felt the crew quarters aboard the TOS Enterprise and the interiors in general to be somewhat sterile and sober given the lack of decoration with paintings and the like.

Then, "Is There In Truth No Beauty" came in Season Three, and suddenly the dining lounge featured four different space art paintings on the wall (vertical frames with several images)
and one in Miranda's quarters
I must say that these space art paintings (depicting alien artifacts?) look really superb and classy and are rich in atmosphere with a unique style of the artist.

Needless to add, I would like to give these a closer examination but have not been able to find these on the web.

Does anybody know what happened to these "props"? Who was the artist?

Or is it a piece of Star Trek history that got lost? I would really like to know...

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 02:43 AM   #2
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Re: Space Art in "Is There In Truth No Beauty?"

I think Mike Minor did most, if not all of those, if you do a search for something like "star trek art" with his name attached, you'll probably find some interesting things?
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 03:16 AM   #3
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

The fourteen paintings you identified were all done by the late (and great) Mike Minor for the third season. They appear in all the places you indicated. (Many of the same pictures also decorate the rec room in "Day of the Dove" and "The Way to Eden." There are also two paintings that were used to decorate Kirk's quarters, too--probably best seen in "Wink of an Eye." They are on the wall that Kirk faces as he sits at his little desk.)

In addition to the fourteen astronomical pictures you spotted and the two that decorate Kirk's quarters, Mike also did three "alien life form" paintings visible in Sickbay--for a total of twenty paintings.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/

Last edited by GSchnitzer; March 17 2013 at 05:34 AM.
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Yeah, those are Mike Minor's work. I recognize a number of them from when they were printed in articles about him.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 11:31 AM   #5
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Maurice wrote: View Post
Yeah, those are Mike Minor's work. I recognize a number of them from when they were printed in articles about him.
Maurice:

Other than the one resembling the pyramid Meidum that appeared in an article about Mike Minor in Starlog magazine, do you know at this point which other ones were reproduced--and in which periodicals they can be found? "A number of them" sounds worth investigating--unless that "number" is simply the number "one."
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 11:34 AM   #6
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I've been mildly curious about those paintings every time I noticed them. Good topic.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Maurice
Vice Admiral

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
Maurice:

Other than the one resembling the pyramid Meidum that appeared in an article about Mike Minor in Starlog magazine, do you know at this point which other ones were reproduced--and in which periodicals they can be found? "A number of them" sounds worth investigating--unless that "number" is simply the number "one."
I recognize several of them but I don't recall exactly which articles in which they appeared. I do have a way to possibly verify. Let me write an email.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Thanks for the hint and here we seem to have part of the story:

"Gene liked the artwork, and had me show it to the art director, Matt Jefferies. Jefferies bought about twenty pieces to use as art objects around the ship. Some of the critters were hanging in McCoy's office and cabin during the third season."
(http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Michael_Minor)

Unfortunately a Google search didn't yield any real visual results, except the Trekcore links to this thread.

So do we at least know what these landscape paintings were supposed to show? Ruins or remains of ancient civilizations?
And do we know anything about the "tags" that apparently show up in every painting's lower left corner?

Bob
Old March 18 2013, 01:24 AM   #9
trevanian
Rear Admiral

The ENTERPRISE INCIDENTS interview with Minor explains that he thought of the art as snapshots/memories of some of the places they had visited. I re-acquired that issue (for about the 11th time) recently, so I'll try to post the full quote in the next day or so. I think the only illustrations are from TMP and of the Tholian and Melkot, but if there are pics of his pics I'll let ya know.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Robert Comsol
Commodore

The Mike Minor painting behind Larry Marvick at the bottom was illustrated in this TMP issue of Starlog:
http://mystartrekscrapbook.blogspot....ng-future.html

Now, we "just" have to locate the other paintings...

If these are really snapshots from places the Enterprise had been (beautiful idea), it should be interesting if we could tell on which planet this pyramid would have been.

Hope that none of additional finds will compromise the matte painting enhancement work done for TOS-R.

Bob

Last edited by Robert Comsol; March 18 2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old March 18 2013, 11:34 PM   #11
bbailey861
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Does anybody know what happened to these "props"? Who was the artist?

Or is it a piece of Star Trek history that got lost? I would really like to know...

Bob
Well, we know who the artist was - now all that's left is to figure out what happened to these paintings. Hopefully they were kept by someone. You never know, they may turn up at a garage sale somewhere.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2013, 11:51 PM   #12
Robert Comsol
Commodore

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Well, we know who the artist was - now all that's left is to figure out what happened to these paintings. Hopefully they were kept by someone. You never know, they may turn up at a garage sale somewhere.
Let us hope that he signed his paintings with "Mike Minor". Then somebody will google the name, find this thread and will hopefully tell us about it.

Bob
Old March 19 2013, 01:10 AM   #13
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Bob Burns has most of Minor's stuff I think. At least the TMP/p2 stuff. As for material that Paramount bought in the 60s ... boy, that'd be something if it survived, wouldn't it? Uhura's earpiece was still around a decade later ...
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 12:48 PM   #14
Robert Comsol
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post
Bob Burns has most of Minor's stuff I think. At least the TMP/p2 stuff. As for material that Paramount bought in the 60s ... boy, that'd be something if it survived, wouldn't it? Uhura's earpiece was still around a decade later ...
I dare to say that you'd to be blind and stupid not to realize that Mike Minor's paintings do have some objective value. That's the kind of stuff that usually never ends up in a garbage can, right?

As we have just witnessed with the WNM phaser rifle, some things just spent a little longer in some kind of time capsule before being rediscovered (and Jules Verne's first story "Paris in the 20th Century" spent 125 years in a time capsule if I remember correctly). I just hope to be still around when Mike's artwork shows up...

Bob
Old March 19 2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Marsden
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

I dare to say that you'd to be blind and stupid not to realize that Mike Minor's paintings do have some objective value. That's the kind of stuff that usually never ends up in a garbage can, right?

Bob
I would hope so. But I wouldn't count on the sense of another. Just saying, I don't count on the average person to value the things I do.

I noticed one of the paintings behind Capt. Kirk's body in "The Turnabout Intruder" when he was speaking to McCoy in Kirk's quarters.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote