RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,168
Posts: 5,344,833
Members: 24,601
Currently online: 569
Newest member: Capt_n_Admiral

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 12 2013, 10:09 AM   #316
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Cap.T wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Taking my own advice above, it looks like Lay and Burnett weren't able to schedule Jonathan Frakes for "The Offspring" commentary and it will only be the writer Rene Echevarria -- which is still cool and great to have... but it's too bad he couldn't make it given their schedule. Oh, well. Hopefully they can get him for "Reunion" or "The Drumhead" or him and Braga for "Cause and Effect."
In his Interview with TrekCore.com Robert Lay, Jr. mentioned that they could get Frakes only for new Interviews while he was directing an episode of NCIS:

Roger Lay, Jr.: I'd love to do it. I was talking to Jonathan Frakes about maybe coming in and doing "The Offspring" – he directed it, it was his first one – but Jonathan directs like ten episodes a year of multiple shows, including NCIS and Leverage, so he was only going to be in town in October for a week because he was doing an episode of NCIS. We got him that week to do his next interview for the documentaries; a second interview. So we couldn't schedule "The Offspring". We're trying; we're really trying – especially for the ones that are directors. I'd love to get LeVar in there at some point. It's definitely on my list, and I think that if you've seen what we've put out so far, you'll see that when we have an idea, we don't rest until we achieve that.
You know, I'd read that... but forgot the second part where Lay says quite definitively that they couldn't get Frakes for the commentary. Somehow I'd remembered it as they were still trying to get him and make it happen before release. Thanks for pointing that out to me -- I'm not sure why I was surprised when I saw it struck through in the list of features on TrekCore.

"I must be going senile..."
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:15 AM   #317
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Why can't Jonathan Frakes just do the audio commentary over the phone? Maybe Frakes can record it himself at home while watching the episode and send the audio file to CBS?
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:31 AM   #318
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Dream wrote: View Post
Why can't Jonathan Frakes just do the audio commentary over the phone? Maybe Frakes can record it himself at home while watching the episode and send the audio file to CBS?
At first I was going to say that in addition to controlling the audio quality they may have wanted him to record it with Echevarria and they didn't want two separate commentaries for "The Offspring." Then I remembered that they now have two for "Yesterday's Enterprise." I suppose they could've edited Frakes and Echevarria so that it sort of sounded like they recorded it together, but that always ends up sounding strange because there's no interaction between the commentators.

But you're right, there's no reason aside from audio quality that they couldn't have done it over Skype or FedExed the episode to him and had him record it himself.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 11:17 AM   #319
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Why can't Jonathan Frakes just do the audio commentary over the phone? Maybe Frakes can record it himself at home while watching the episode and send the audio file to CBS?
At first I was going to say that in addition to controlling the audio quality they may have wanted him to record it with Echevarria and they didn't want two separate commentaries for "The Offspring." Then I remembered that they now have two for "Yesterday's Enterprise." I suppose they could've edited Frakes and Echevarria so that it sort of sounded like they recorded it together, but that always ends up sounding strange because there's no interaction between the commentators.

But you're right, there's no reason aside from audio quality that they couldn't have done it over Skype or FedExed the episode to him and had him record it himself.
Actually, there isn't a noticable loss of audio quality when it is recorded over the phone. When Al Gore recorded his lines for Futurama, he did it over the phone, I believe.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 12:26 PM   #320
LogicDeLuxe
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
If they keep that same pattern as season 1 going, the separate parts for Unification, Chain of Command, Birthright will all be together on the same disc. The exception is Gambit, which are the 4th and 5th episodes of the season. I'm sure the guys putting the discs together will notice that, and adjust the disc content accordingly.
Would be cool, if they put both versions, the regular two part episodes and the one part movie versions on the discs. With seamless branching, only a few minutes of credit parts would have to be duplicated.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:33 PM   #321
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Actually, there isn't a noticable loss of audio quality when it is recorded over the phone. When Al Gore recorded his lines for Futurama, he did it over the phone, I believe.
As the story goes, that's how Temuera Morrison recorded replacement Boba Fett dialogue in The Empire Strikes Back for the DVD. Supposedly some sound guys at Lucasfilm called him up, and asked him to repeat the words without telling what it was for, which is why it came off so flat.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 11:40 PM   #322
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Tiberius wrote: View Post
Actually, there isn't a noticable loss of audio quality when it is recorded over the phone. When Al Gore recorded his lines for Futurama, he did it over the phone, I believe.
As the story goes, that's how Temuera Morrison recorded replacement Boba Fett dialogue in The Empire Strikes Back for the DVD. Supposedly some sound guys at Lucasfilm called him up, and asked him to repeat the words without telling what it was for, which is why it came off so flat.
I'm not sure which Futurama episode you're referring to Tiberius (Al Gore appeared in five apparently)... unless you mean he recorded all of them over the phone. So at the moment I can't really judge whether there's a noticeable loss in quality. But I would expect there to be *some* loss, compared to him performing on a recording stage or in a booth with high-end equipment. Also, they could have sweetened it to some extent... and you're talking about a few brief lines, not a 45 minute long recording which is more difficult and time consuming to fix if need be.

As for Temuera Morrison, his voice was filtered to sound like it was coming through Boba Fett's helmet, so I imagine very high quality audio wasn't necessary.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 09:59 PM   #323
Borjis
Commodore
 
Borjis's Avatar
 
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Actually, there isn't a noticable loss of audio quality when it is recorded over the phone. When Al Gore recorded his lines for Futurama, he did it over the phone, I believe.

We do this at my studio, it's called a "phone patch" and sounds remarkably good considering the source.

They are recorded through that same pro equipment (ProTools HD Accel) we use for studio recordings. With a bit of eq and other adjustments it actually sounds just fine.

For a commentary track I doubt anyone would notice the difference.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 12:00 AM   #324
BeatleJWOL
Commander
 
BeatleJWOL's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jimbotron wrote: View Post
As the story goes, that's how Temuera Morrison recorded replacement Boba Fett dialogue in The Empire Strikes Back for the DVD. Supposedly some sound guys at Lucasfilm called him up, and asked him to repeat the words without telling what it was for, which is why it came off so flat.
I had heard that Frank Oz did some of the Yoda dialogue for the prequels that way, too.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 05:18 PM   #325
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain
 
Captain Fine's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, ON
View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Having recently rewatched ESB, I found both Fett's replaced lines and the new Emperor both jarring. Let me be clear, I'm not against the idea, just that I feel they were just thrown in there and it doesn't sound good. Palpatine somehow doesn't seem dark/creepy enough, and Fett is totally flat/boring/not ominous.
__________________
Formerly known as RegentWorf. But after seven years on this BBS, I went into pine farr and regenerated into Captain Fine.
Captain Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 06:28 AM   #326
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
Having recently rewatched ESB, I found both Fett's replaced lines and the new Emperor both jarring. Let me be clear, I'm not against the idea, just that I feel they were just thrown in there and it doesn't sound good. Palpatine somehow doesn't seem dark/creepy enough, and Fett is totally flat/boring/not ominous.
Yeah I noticed that with the Emperor too. In the new version there's nothing remotely strange or mysterious about him anymore. He's just a wrinkled old man talking to Vader now.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 11:35 AM   #327
Zaku
Commander
 
Zaku's Avatar
 
Location: Italy
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

37.20 € (47.95 $) on Amazon.it!

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously region free!
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 12:10 PM   #328
Aatrek
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Zaku wrote: View Post
37.20 € (47.95 $) on Amazon.it!

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Obviously region free!
Very tempting... until I saw the release date of May 22.
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 02:44 PM   #329
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Robert Burnett tweeted there is an unpublicized extra on the set last night...

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 04:32 PM   #330
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

RAMA wrote: View Post
Robert Burnett tweeted there is an unpublicized extra on the set last night...

RAMA
Sounds like a fun little toy I'm looking most forward too.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.