Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 8 2013, 10:06 PM   #301
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Aw, I don't think it'll be so bad. She'll always grow a new one back in the next episode.
Old March 9 2013, 12:24 AM   #302
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Maybe. But so far their damage has held over from one episode to the next unless there was a week or so between episodes. And most of that was just hull repairs rather than critical systems.

We'll see later how messed up Yamato gets, and what it takes to fix her. I think they said she'd get altered during the trip due to damage.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 01:53 AM   #303
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Maybe. But so far their damage has held over from one episode to the next unless there was a week or so between episodes. And most of that was just hull repairs rather than critical systems.

We'll see later how messed up Yamato gets, and what it takes to fix her. I think they said she'd get altered during the trip due to damage.
Well, as they say:

It ain't really "Yamato" until the Third Bridge blows up and Yuki dies.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2013, 04:29 AM   #304
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Yuki has lots of backup this time...so it could be any of them die this time around. Plus possibly a double to take her place.

Also shock cannons at point blank range. Yamato taking out Dommel's forward batteries from less than 5 meters away! With the hulls scratching each others paint on the way.

There is a lot of stuff going on in Chapter 5 and my only real problem is that I don't understand more than 10% of what was said. I think if someone would translate the trailer we might have a better understanding of a few things.
Old March 9 2013, 04:00 PM   #305
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Actually, I was only half-joking about Yamato healing herself. We had seen several instances where Yamato was heavily damaged during the original run, only to be miraculously repaired in the next episode. The third bridge is only the most glaring example of this, and I think it can be attributed to more than just simple in-jokes or sloppy editing.

As I understand it, there is a particularly Japanese philosophy that states that all things in this world, even inanimate objects, contain a spirit. The fantastic anime movie "Spirited Away" was a good example of this concept. Yamato is the ancient name of Japan and seems to be representative of the embodiment of the soul of the Japanese people and national spirit. Many times the series narration says "stand up Yamato!" when she was shown to be disabled or heavily damaged, as if it was a living being having been knocked down. I believe it was so pervasive, the production house that did the original translations back in the 70's had to invent the concept of the "Star Force" to replace constant direct references to Yamato/Argo because they were probably concerned that American audiences wouldn't get it. The most significant evidence for this was in Final Yamato, where the ship was disabled by a Denguil vessel and everyone was knocked out. Yamato was adrift and then all of a sudden everything started turning on and Yamato soft-landed on her own. Even Analyzer/IQ-9 said with amazement before falling apart himself, "Yamato is alive?!?!". Yamato's final "death" scene on Aquarius was especially poignant, as it did not appear to sink in any kind of normal way that a sea-going vessel would, but instead writhing and convulsing before going down for the last time, as if fighting for its last breath.

So, short answer, yes, I firmly believe Yamato is perceived as a living, breathing thing in which humans are simply along for the ride. The ship/spirit was always the star of the show (for which it was always named) and she will heal herself.
Old March 9 2013, 08:04 PM   #306
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Well Yamato has a "goddess" in the computer system according to Alter.

A sometimes active "goddess".
Old March 10 2013, 05:33 AM   #307
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I caught the episodes. They're pretty great, as always.

One thing I must not be remembering, unless this is the first time they introduced all of this, but who exactly is Yuria Misaki?

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2013, 08:23 AM   #308
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Yuria is one of the ship's youngest crew members (17 years old). She fills in for Yuki at radar when Yuki is off shift (one of at least two women that do so). She was seen in episode 2 when the crew is being taken to Yamato. She's the girl listening to an MP3 like player while the young guy next to her is checking her out (he's the young security guard). We see her next in episode 4 as she takes advise from Yuki. We see her again in episode 6 helping out the nurse with first aid.

She starts running the ship's onboard radio station in episode 7 and does that for most of Chapter 3 along with some contact with whatever is in the autopilot room which seems to be a major plot point for Chapters 4 and 5.
Old March 10 2013, 09:23 AM   #309
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, I know she's been around, but in terms of her role in episode 14:

I feel like I missed something, but I guess the alternative is that they're setting something up to be revealed later.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old March 10 2013, 07:26 PM   #310
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Oh that. Yeah that is confusing.

It is confusing, but I think Episode 14 was designed to be confusing. There are bits of foreshadowing in earlier episodes. Yuria says she use to see the supernatural all the time back on Earth...ghosts are nothing strange to her. See seems drawn to the autopilot's room after that. When the ship goes to warp while she's there, the "ghost in the machine" comes out to say hello to her...and knocks the ship into a dimentional rift because the autopilot wasn't doing its job. In episode 12 Yuria has a dream about being a nurse at the Central Hospital a year ago and seeing Yuki in a coma, only to be confronted by a spirit of a beautiful woman before waking up. However at that same time, one of the navigation staff saw the same beautiful woman manifest in the autopilot's room.

The preview of Chapter 5 has Yuria with her hair down still and talking in an unusual way.
Old March 11 2013, 10:56 PM   #311
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Well, it's curious that no one brought it up after the fact anyway.

But yeah, I was just curious to see if I just completely missed something in the previous episodes or if they just started introducing this concept in 14 and it's part of setting up some of the mythology of the show.

I'm glad that it seems to be mostly the latter anyway.

Old March 17 2013, 04:10 AM   #312
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

The hope right now is that we'll get a longer trailer in the next week followed by a 9-10 minute preview of episode 15 early in April.

With that I hope to get more ship details and ships added to the lists. I need some technical data on the carriers and I need info on the not yet seen battle carrier (if they have this in this version of the series at all).
Old March 19 2013, 12:40 AM   #313
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

The hope right now is that we'll get a longer trailer in the next week followed by a 9-10 minute preview of episode 15 early in April.

With that I hope to get more ship details and ships added to the lists. I need some technical data on the carriers and I need info on the not yet seen battle carrier (if they have this in this version of the series at all).
With regard to ships and ship details, with all the reworking so far (IE characters that appeared in later series already making an appearance here in the first Yamato 2199 storyline); I wonder if we'll see the dual Wave Motion cannoned Andromeda Class make an appearance before these 26 episodes are done?

(If not, I hope they continue with a re-imagined Comet Empire storyline next )
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 05:03 AM   #314
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post

With regard to ships and ship details, with all the reworking so far (IE characters that appeared in later series already making an appearance here in the first Yamato 2199 storyline); I wonder if we'll see the dual Wave Motion cannoned Andromeda Class make an appearance before these 26 episodes are done?

(If not, I hope they continue with a re-imagined Comet Empire storyline next )
I don't think Earth is really in a position to build another space battleship right now.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 04:05 PM   #315
RangerH
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi there,

I am new and I am a fan of Space Battleship Yamato (old and new. Man am I old).

Here is something that caught my attention with SBY2199. Nimmi, the ships technical expert and ships counselor, mentioned a few times, primarily to Sanada, him. Meaning the elder Kodai. In ep 13 she seems to mention that the blood runs in the family which Susumu Kodai overhears but did not hear fully, when she says I agree deflecting his question. Later on, she says that he is just as reckless as him. In ep 14, while in a dreamlike state, she says something to the effect "you don't hold back do you?". That statement can be taken two ways. But with some of the previous statements it looks like she is saying something about Mamoru Kodai.

We know that Sanada and Mamoru are friends, and from all statements said by Nimmi so far indicates she was also a friend or something more.

What do you all say?
RangerH is offline   Reply With Quote