New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 1 2013, 05:58 PM   #76
feek61
Captain

Re: The 11-foot TOS Enterprise model-

alchemist wrote: View Post
feek61 wrote: View Post
^^^
Took care of it; thanks.
Feek61,

I don't know how to get a hold of you through PM, so when you get a moment please PM me. I have a high-resolution scan of a bridge graphic I want to send you.

Dave
Dave,
Couldn't get a hold of you because I don't yet have the minimum 50 post needed to be able to PM but please email me at:

tosgraphics69 - at - gmail.com

I will be looking for you and if anyone else can PM Dave for me and give him my email address that would be grand.

Last edited by feek61; March 1 2013 at 08:44 PM.
feek61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 08:39 PM   #77
feek61
Captain

I did get a hold of Dave so no need to PM him for me. BTW, Dave REALLY hooked me up!! Thank you Dave!!
Old March 16 2013, 09:17 AM   #78
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

You know how the warp nacelles are tapered, so they have a smaller diameter at the aft end?

Question: was this a styling choice, meaning the audience was supposed to see it?

Or was it a trick intended to create forced perspective and make the model look huge? If it was just a forced perspective feature, then you could argue that the "real" nacelle design is a straight cylinder.

Last edited by ZapBrannigan; March 16 2013 at 09:30 AM.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 09:37 AM   #79
scotpens
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
You know how the warp nacelles are tapered, so they have a smaller diameter at the aft end?

Question: was this a styling choice, meaning the audience was supposed to see it?

Or was it a trick intended to create forced perspective and make the model look huge?
Probably both. Think of how the Enterprise's nacelles would look if they were simple cylinders with a constant diameter. They'd look clunky and tail-heavy.

The full-size mockup of the Galileo shuttlecraft had a slight decrease in width from back to front for the same reasons.
Old March 16 2013, 12:28 PM   #80
Warped9
Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
The full-size mockup of the Galileo shuttlecraft had a slight decrease in width from back to front for the same reasons.
Your source for that assertion? Everything I've studied about the Galileo has never indicated that.
Old March 16 2013, 12:40 PM   #81
Search4
Commander

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Your source for that assertion? Everything I've studied about the Galileo has never indicated that.
I might be able to answer that... Galileo actually gets a bit wider as you move towards the back. About a 6 inch difference.
Search4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 01:14 PM   #82
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

McCoy: (hits briefing room table) Don't disrupt a conjectural, hypothetical BBS discussion with facts, man! Green-blooded, poiny-eared . . .
Old March 16 2013, 01:16 PM   #83
Warped9
Admiral

Search4 wrote: View Post
I might be able to answer that... Galileo actually gets a bit wider as you move towards the back. About a 6 inch difference.
That's already widely known as the mock-up was built with a measure of forced perspective to the design to make the 22ft. exterior look bigger than it really is from certain angles. But it's also integral to the design as it's mimicked on the filming miniature. But on neither is there any indication that the nacelles (or the access hatch) had any taper to them.
Old March 16 2013, 11:24 PM   #84
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

I don't believe the shuttle was built with any forced perspective. True forced perspective only works from a limited set of angles and you don't use it for a mockup you'll be shooting from all kinds of directions. Furthermore, while the height of the fuselage tapers towards the back, the width of the craft increases slightly in inverse relation, and most of this is completely unnoticeable when you're up close to the mockup. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 11:29 PM   #85
Warped9
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
I don't believe the shuttle was built with any forced perspective. True forced perspective only works from a limited set of angles and you don't use it for a mockup you'll be shooting from all kinds of directions. Furthermore, while the height of the fuselage tapers towards the back, the width of the craft increases slightly in inverse relation, and most of this is completely unnoticeable when you're up close to the mockup. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Maybe I misunderstood how you said this.

The design of the craft widens in height and width from front to back.
Old March 16 2013, 11:35 PM   #86
scotpens
Vice Admiral

The design of the craft widens in height and width from front to back.
More specifically, the roof of the craft slopes downward from front to back, but the raised, curved side extensions have a slight rise from front to back.

I think.

That's already widely known as the mock-up was built with a measure of forced perspective to the design to make the 22ft. exterior look bigger than it really is from certain angles. But it's also integral to the design as it's mimicked on the filming miniature. But on neither is there any indication that the nacelles (or the access hatch) had any taper to them.
That's what I meant to say -- not that the Galileo's nacelles had a taper (they obviously don't), but that the shuttle itself (the main hull) narrows from back to front.
Old March 17 2013, 02:04 AM   #87
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

^^^Yup.
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 12:54 AM   #88
AshGL1914
Lieutenant Commander

So while this project has been dormant, it's not dead or forgotten by Steve, Mike, or any of us. I've been undercover for awhile with some real world issues, notably a move to Las Vegas, and taking on a new job as a social media manager for ANOVOS. But I've been making some new friends along the way and they are as interested in seeing the Enterprise restored as we are. I'll also be meeting a few people at SDCC, and this year's Vegas con (both now working gigs for me), and hope to perhaps set up formal meetings for this project at both cons.
AshGL1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 12:16 AM   #89
publiusr
Commodore

Good to hear. I bet Rod Roddenberry has the 3 footer at home. I really want that to be scanned. He might not admit it publically, since Paramount technically owns it.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:47 AM   #90
feek61
Captain

The 3 footer was GIVEN to GR after the series ended; so he owns it. The story goes that it was loaned out and never returned. In any case Paramount does not own it.