Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 11 2013, 06:14 AM   #61
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: Abrams wanted to blow up more than Romulus

Saul wrote: View Post
So they wanted to destroy Earth and the Federation too....

Should we really be surprised that a Star Wars fanboi would want to do this?

But seriously, if that's what they were going to do why not make it a full reboot. Rather pointless to have such a galaxy shattering event happen and then go away to an alternate universe that will have nothing to do with it.
Well it's been used as a plot point in alt/future timeline stories since at least TNG. It's just a thing to do when you're trying to showing how bad bad has got for our heroes. Hell, Enterprise (not to bash on Enterprise) actually went full on Death Star.

Last edited by SeerSGB; March 11 2013 at 06:35 AM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 08:51 PM   #62
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I maintain it makes zero sense that Nero plots to destroy Earth and the Federation because the friendly Vulcan that went out of his way to help Romulus arrived a bit too late.

Just another bland Khan clone. Hopefully Cumberbatch is a better Khan clone. He definitely seems to be giving a much better performance than whatever Bana was doing last time.
I think it was pretty well established that Nero was batshiat insane, so trying to apply logic to his actions is not going to be fruitful. As for the actor's performance, thats up to individual taste.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 09:04 PM   #63
SeerSGB
Admiral

siskokid888 wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I maintain it makes zero sense that Nero plots to destroy Earth and the Federation because the friendly Vulcan that went out of his way to help Romulus arrived a bit too late.

Just another bland Khan clone. Hopefully Cumberbatch is a better Khan clone. He definitely seems to be giving a much better performance than whatever Bana was doing last time.
I think it was pretty well established that Nero was batshiat insane, so trying to apply logic to his actions is not going to be fruitful. As for the actor's performance, thats up to individual taste.
Bingo. I think the actor did fine for what it was: A rage filled, erratic, nut case out just to hurt people. There was no revenge, no justice, no evil, it was just pure on rage, hate, and I'm going to make you hurt like I'm hurt. It was animal, to use a term.

As for the logic of nuking Earth/The Federation. About a logical as the Borg Queen going after Earth or Shinzon going after the Earth. Or: It's Star Trek, out of millions of worlds, Earth and humanity are special little snowflakes that everyone likes to pick on.
Old March 15 2013, 09:50 AM   #64
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Even if he was about to calm down after a while i doubt Rura Penthe improved his mental state.

Sorry its my first post.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 10:00 AM   #65
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: View Post
Even if he was about to calm down after a while i doubt Rura Penthe improved his mental state.

Sorry its my first post.
And your third!
Old March 15 2013, 05:37 PM   #66
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Even he was about to calm down after a while i doubt Rura Penthe improved his mental state.
gl

Sorry its my first post.
Welcome to the board. Since these all seem to be saying the same thing, why don't I just delete the extra ones?
Old March 16 2013, 06:08 PM   #67
publiusr
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Oi! Come on. I won't have that... There was absolutely nothing wrong with Armus the oil slick.
Kind of surprised Armus never returned, he could have been a great Q-calibre foil for the TNG cast. Or even better, have Armus in the movies. Imagine what late 1990s movie budget could have done for him...
I think some wanted a more Roddy McDowell kind of evil voice--Derick Jacobi sounds a lot similar

I wanted to see the shining ones that shed Armus--hey, maybe it was the Q itself.

That all struck me as unlike Trek. Gene R was a materialist for the most part (even if he believed in some psychic powers, and allowed for some weirdness)--that was almost a Conan-in-Space Chronicles of Riddick kind of thing--which I do like.

Was it Howard who wrote about the evil star Yamil Zacra?
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 07:32 PM   #68
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

publiusr wrote: View Post

Was it Howard who wrote about the evil star Yamil Zacra?
Clark Ashton Smith, I think.