Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What is your preference for how zombies move?
Walking 44 80.00%
Running 1 1.82%
No preference 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14 2013, 04:05 PM   #16
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Zombie Movement

I prefer vampires for many reasons, including the fact that they actually have to eat. I liked the fast zombies in Snyder's Dawn okay, but what kept them going?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Caligula
Vice Admiral

I much prefer walking zombies. On occasion, as with the Dawn of the Dead remake, fast-moving zombies can work when done well.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Gaith wrote: View Post
liked the fast zombies in Snyder's Dawn okay, but what kept them going?
IIRC, the cause of the zombie apocalypse in DOTD 2004 is a virus (it says so on the DVD case, anyway). So assuming the virus, in addition to reanimating dead bodies, gives them a shot of zombie adrenaline, then I guess that explains it.

Hell, any film which has zombies in the first place has already suspended disbelief enough, since it ignores the reasons a zombie outbreak would fail.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 10:15 PM   #19
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I prefer the old-school lumbering Zombies-- better yet, old-school lumbering Voodoo Zombies. Zombies are not scary in the same way that Werewolves are scary. They're scary because (besides the fact that they are reanimated corpses, which is scary enough) they are relentless. It's not the fear of something jumping out of the shadows at you, it's the fear of inevitable doom.
Old March 14 2013, 10:19 PM   #20
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Every time I read the thread title, I think of a Zombie Rights Movement

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 10:25 PM   #21
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Isn't that what the last Romero zombie movie was about?

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I'd say no differently mobile than an ordinary human if maybe a bit slower to account for decay/rigor mortis. Slow shuffling zombies creates too many questions and problems when it comes to the action in a movie. Namely on how something slow moving can be so hard to escape from and overcome?! But I even more hate a modern trend to make zombies movie very, very rapidly almost having super-human levels of speed, strength and agility which makes even LESS sense.
Old March 15 2013, 09:24 AM   #23
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Slow-moving monsters (i.e. the Frankenstein monster) keeping up with fleeing victims is a trope of Horror fiction. It doesn't need to make sense-- it's artistic license. It plays on the emotions. No matter how far or fast you run, it's going to get you. But it's going to take a while, so you have plenty of time to be terrified.
Old March 15 2013, 10:36 AM   #24
arthur2sheds
Lieutenant

There were NO zombies in 28 Days/Weeks later. They were Rage victims, they did not die. In fact you see Rage victims dying of starvation and exposure.
I have no preference for walkers or runners, but i really hope they dont screw up World War Z. I love that book so much and am disappointented the film has deviated from the novel so much.
Having said that the trailer does look very good. Fingers crossed.
Old March 15 2013, 12:56 PM   #25
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Spreading an infection by biting is the least efficient method ever (hence why rabies hasn't wiped out the world's population). Having Zombies run makes the chances of it spreading at least more realistic. However, if I'm watching a zombie movie, I've already suspended disbelief a significant degree, so I'm indifferent to which version is chosen.
Old March 15 2013, 09:51 PM   #26
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Zombies are people too, you know!

Or at least they were people. Or they're still sort-of-people. Hmmm, back to the drawing board on this one.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 07:02 PM   #27
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

The primary fear the zombie movies play upon is being eaten alive. To that extent, fast zombies better emulate wild animals, and so amplify the predator/prey instinct in the back of the mind.

I'm glad that a majority of you find slow zombies scary and fast zombies silly. While you're busy mocking how silly it is for a reanimated corpse to have normal reflexes after rigor mortis would be dissipating, I can run away and make sure you're the closest source of food.
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 07:13 PM   #28
ITL
Vice Admiral

I've posted this before, but this seems like the right thread for a re-posting. From this article:

Simon Pegg wrote:
Death is a disability, not a superpower. It's hard to run with a cold, let alone the most debilitating malady of them all.

More significantly, the fast zombie is bereft of poetic subtlety. As monsters from the id, zombies win out over vampires and werewolves when it comes to the title of Most Potent Metaphorical Monster. Where their pointy-toothed cousins are all about sex and bestial savagery, the zombie trumps all by personifying our deepest fear: death. Zombies are our destiny writ large. Slow and steady in their approach, weak, clumsy, often absurd, the zombie relentlessly closes in, unstoppable, intractable.

However (and herein lies the sublime artfulness of the slow zombie), their ineptitude actually makes them avoidable, at least for a while. If you're careful, if you keep your wits about you, you can stave them off, even outstrip them - much as we strive to outstrip death. Drink less, cut out red meat, exercise, practice safe sex; these are our shotguns, our cricket bats, our farmhouses, our shopping malls. However, none of these things fully insulates us from the creeping dread that something so witless, so elemental may yet catch us unawares - the drunk driver, the cancer sleeping in the double helix, the legless ghoul dragging itself through the darkness towards our ankles.
Old March 16 2013, 07:35 PM   #29
publiusr
Commodore

theenglish wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
I chose walking but it will be interesting to see of World War Z can make fast moving zombies work without making it cheesy.

That said, walking aombies as a world-wide threat to humanity is implausible.
You are correct. Runners are much more "plausible"

I never really bought into runners, except for short distances:

I have this concept where David Attenborough from a relatively untouched UK travels to the US to feature a nature documentary on zombie ecology. To him zombification is a return to cold-bloodedness like reptiles.

His astonishing find is that zombies actually eat less while dead than when alive, and can go longer without eating--making zombies less a strain on the environment than live humans. They go into shark like feeding frenzies, but spend most of their time in a torpor, like basking crocodiles. He then down loads his own conciousness into a jack in the back of his neck (Matrix style) and allows himself to be bitten. He describes what it is like to turn into a zombie, with his genius intact. He speaks out of a radio collar, and is along for the ride now--the zombie in full control of his locomotion, but still has to worry about head shots.

Having David on The Walking Dead would be perfect. You would do an episode like MASH where you actually don't see our heros close up--only in the distance. You have them split up, and killed one by one. (wheather they were slated by Comic or script to die or not.

That way, if the network pulls the plug early, you insert this story to wrap things up at least. Otherwise it becomes a dream sequence.

Now to me the zombie hordes in WWZ are beyond even running zombies. To see how they spill over each other, it is almost like looking at a nuée ardente, a pyroclastic flow charging at you--a powder avalanche. These would be supernatural zombies to do that at speed, although perhaps having them look like ants, bridging gaps with their own bodies, forming living towers and battering rams would be interesting.

http://www.themarysue.com/medical-jo...overed-zombies
http://io9.com/5988778/this-interact...d-with-zombies
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 09:03 PM   #30
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

T.Geiger wrote: View Post
The primary fear the zombie movies play upon is being eaten alive. To that extent, fast zombies better emulate wild animals, and so amplify the predator/prey instinct in the back of the mind.

I'm glad that a majority of you find slow zombies scary and fast zombies silly. While you're busy mocking how silly it is for a reanimated corpse to have normal reflexes after rigor mortis would be dissipating, I can run away and make sure you're the closest source of food.
I have no problem with the idea that a recently deceased/reanimated zombie could be fast moving. A recently deceased corpse should be more mobile/agile than a long desiccated one.

WWZ is interesting in that it suggests, at least in the books, that Zack does not decay. Whatever it is that reanimates the corpse makes the body less desireable as food for the bacteria that would otherwise consume us after we are dead. Additionally, the "virus" converts most of the body's fluid into some sort of black gel/goo that helps it retain some moisture and keeps things lubricated. Without decay, the only thing that would prevent a zombie from running is a lack of sufficient energy...but we hand wave over that given that they owuld need the same energy in order to move at all.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is online now   Reply With Quote