Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 16 2013, 04:48 PM   #256
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The characters in Abrams Trek are very broad but that's just his approach. Everything is louder, including the characterisation.

I have a dream that one day Star Trek in film will be a science-fiction series about exploring the unknown or the human condition. Catering to the lowest common denominator with a vengeful villain in a fucking black trenchcoat going on a rampage is less my kinda thing. It's treating the audience like they're stupid. Which the target audience is, but I'd like Trek to aim higher.

The opening of the film sounds more like Star Trek than anything in the rest of the movie.
I'm sure one day, you and the five others like you will get the movie you crave while us drooling masses continue to enjoy least common denominator fare.
Old March 16 2013, 05:07 PM   #257
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I hope so too . Sadly, I looked at the teaser trailer for Abrams Trek III and it looks like more of the same.

*Paramount Logo*

*Kirk is looking solemn while Pike conducts another boring, incomprehensible rant*

Pike: You have honour. But you lack disicipline. Your father was a great fighter, and in the field of battle.. the fence is always open.

*Shot of a ship exploding*

*Uhura is giving Spock a blowjob in the turbo-lift*

*Shot of a planet exploding*

*Shot of a building exploding*

*A woman screams in slow motion*

*Scotty pulls a face to humour the thick people in the audience*

Scotty: AH CANNAE TAKE EET ANY MORE CAPTAIN!

*Scotty proceeds to fall over*

*The Enterprise crashes in to a duck pond*

*One-dimensional Vengeful Villain appears in a room pitch-black yet full of lens-flare*

Vengeful Villain: BLOW THEM ALL OUT OF THE SKY!

*Title and release date*
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 05:24 PM   #258
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yes it looks like a trailer for a major action adventure film.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 05:31 PM   #259
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I hope so too . Sadly, I looked at the teaser trailer for Abrams Trek III and it looks like more of the same.

*Paramount Logo*

*Kirk is looking solemn while Pike conducts another boring, incomprehensible rant*

Pike: You have honour. But you lack disicipline. Your father was a great fighter, and in the field of battle.. the fence is always open.

*One-dimensional Vengeful Villain appears in a room pitch-black yet full of lens-flare*

*Title and release date*
Oddly enough, biased exaggerations aside, that pretty much describes TOS and all of Trek down through time. And that descrition will probably bring in $300 million just in the U.S.

When was Trek ever anything other than a fun romp? It's a well done action-adventure series with interesting characters. That's all it was, and it's all it will be. I've never been sure where people find the gravitas in Trek other than what they read into it themselves.

It's like Beatles fans who take the songs too seriously. John Lennon got disgusted with fans who would try to analyze the lyrics of his songs for themes and meanings that he never intended to be there. He was just trying to write a commercially successful song, not enlighten anyone or make one think. They may have been clever and well done, but they were only as deep as fans wanted to make them. If it connected with you in some personal way, wonderful. But "connecting with you" wasn't his intention. It's a pop song. He was out to sell as many records as he could and make money.

Just enjoy the music for what it is. Have fun. Drop the pretense that it's important.
Old March 16 2013, 05:34 PM   #260
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

You seriously don't see how The Cage or The Motion Picture resemble literary science-fiction more than Abrams Trek?

That's the approach I prefer. Stories driven by ideas and not action. I'm in the minority but I refuse to be spat on for it. I was watching DS9's Duet earlier and loved it. Nuanced characterisation and not at all patronising unlike this Obi-Wan Pike business.

But I'm sure the Abrams acolytes will be here to tell me that Abrams Trek made more money so it's better. Completely missing the point, as per usual.
Old March 16 2013, 05:38 PM   #261
BillJ
Admiral

That's the approach I prefer. Stories driven by ideas and not action. I'm in the minority but I refuse to be spat on for it.
You seriously don't read your posts before clicking the submit button?

DalekJim wrote:
I have a dream that one day Star Trek in film will be a science-fiction series about exploring the unknown or the human condition. Catering to the lowest common denominator with a vengeful villain in a fucking black trenchcoat going on a rampage is less my kinda thing. It's treating the audience like they're stupid. Which the target audience is, but I'd like Trek to aim higher.
Old March 16 2013, 05:42 PM   #262
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I uh, honestly don't understand your point.
Old March 16 2013, 05:44 PM   #263
BillJ
Admiral

I uh, honestly don't understand your point.
Your posts are full of derision for those who actually like the movie and are perfectly fine with the path Abrams has taken. Yet you act like the injured party over and over again.
Old March 16 2013, 05:50 PM   #264
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Rubbish. You won't be followed around the forum and crudely heckled for liking the movie. It certainly seems to appeal to a certain type of fan sadly.
Old March 16 2013, 05:52 PM   #265
BillJ
Admiral

Rubbish. You won't be followed around the forum for liking the movie.
I answer posts that interest me personally, whether they be by you or someone else.

And, I hope your not insinuating that I'm following you around?
Old March 16 2013, 05:55 PM   #266
Franklin
Rear Admiral

You seriously don't see how The Cage or The Motion Picture resemble literary science-fiction more than Abrams Trek?

That's the approach I prefer. Stories driven by ideas and not action. I'm in the minority but I refuse to be spat on for it. I was watching DS9's Duet earlier and loved it. Nuanced characterisation and not at all patronising unlike this Obi-Wan Pike business.

But I'm sure the Abrams acolytes will be here to tell me that Abrams Trek made more money so it's better. Completely missing the point, as per usual.
Well I'm not spitting on you for it, but I would say you're looking for your prefernence in the wrong place. Trek is intelligent within it genre, which is action-adventure. I like "The Cage", too. But remember, while NBC respected its qualities, they rejected it. "Star Trek" was sold to them as an action-adventure series and that's what they wanted to see. As action-adventure, it's been pretty well done.

Maybe what you're saying is Trek is best left to TV. Have the four or five episodes of phaser battles and hand-wringing villains, then sneak in a more thougtful or deeper-themed episode. Like sneaking vegetables into the pizza sauce. But popular culture, where Trek belongs, is not the place to nourish your mind. You'll end up malnourished. It's a place to treat yourself to some delicious high quality junk food. Go elsewhere for your nourishment.

I'd say one other thing, in my opinion, if the order of the first two Trek movies had been TWOK then TMP, TMP may have mortally wounded the franchise. TMP was a commercial success because while it was hardly a bad movie, it also had all the hype of being the first "Star Trek" movie, and fans simply had to go see it. Some loved it; others, as well as general audiences, not so much. It certainly didn't create new fans. Bear in mind while it made money, it still underperformed for what was expected of it, and the budget for TWOK was smaller as a result.
Old March 16 2013, 05:56 PM   #267
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Rubbish. You won't be followed around the forum for liking the movie.
I answer posts that interest me personally, whether they be by you or someone else.

And, I hope your not insinuating that I'm following you around?
The more hardcore an Abrams fan is, the more abhorrent their behaviour seems to devolve to. I'd repeat what another poster said about those with Abrams avatars but I'd probably get a bollocking.

It's always the danger of having a cult of personality though really. Read Frank Herbert's Dune for more information.
Old March 16 2013, 05:56 PM   #268
sonak
Vice Admiral

did we really need it spelled out in the thread title that Levar Burton played Geordi LaForge? Wouldn't anyone posting on this message board already know this?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 05:57 PM   #269
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

*Paramount Logo*

*Title and release date*
Harrison looks like a terrorist with a political agenda. I am pretty sure he will be more complex than Nero and his motivations won't be explained in a comic.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 06:00 PM   #270
BillJ
Admiral

The more hardcore an Abrams fan is, the more abhorrent their behaviour seems to devolve to.

I've yet to see a pro-Abrams fan stoop to the lows that you have in order to try and prove a point.

You may want to go back and review your own posts.