Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 14 2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Original Phaser Rifle Prop Found!

^Which suggests that they did have plans to make a different phaser rifle prop for the series proper, but never got around to it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 01:41 PM   #17
Metryq
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm confused... the comments say that Klamer's company built the rifle, but the 4/22 memo says they didn't.
The prop department was located in Tholian space, and the rifle was caught in interphase. The episode "The Tholian Web" is a cover up of what really happened when Kirk went after his favorite gun.
Old March 16 2013, 02:36 AM   #18
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Metryq wrote: View Post
The prop department was located in Tholian space, and the rifle was caught in interphase. The episode "The Tholian Web" is a cover up of what really happened when Kirk went after his favorite gun.
The Desilu prop department might as well have been in Tholian hands, considering the anecdote in INSIDE STAR TREK (Solow, Justman). They took too long to make anything, charged a fortune, and when they finally produced a phaser pistol, Roddenberry examined it and said, "This is uh, uh... unacceptable."
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 04:11 PM   #19
MarsWeeps
Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post

...As of this moment the entire matter is dead. If Klamer wants to work with us on any particular item he will first have to submit it to us and then after deliberation, we will determine whether or not we will proceed with him. Please rest assured that Klamer is not involved in the phaser rifle, phaser pistol, transicator or any other item.
April 22, 1966 memo to Ed Perlstein from Roddenberry
I'm confused... the comments say that Klamer's company built the rifle, but the 4/22 memo says they didn't.
I'm also confused, according to the quote above, Klamer did not build the phaser rifle. So, who did?
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 04:35 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

^See the response to my post. The 4/22 memo was talking about the potential series version of the phaser rifle, not the pilot version.

Old March 16 2013, 04:54 PM   #21
feek61
Captain

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post

...As of this moment the entire matter is dead. If Klamer wants to work with us on any particular item he will first have to submit it to us and then after deliberation, we will determine whether or not we will proceed with him. Please rest assured that Klamer is not involved in the phaser rifle, phaser pistol, transicator or any other item.
April 22, 1966 memo to Ed Perlstein from Roddenberry
I'm also confused, according to the quote above, Klamer did not build the phaser rifle. So, who did?
Look at the dates; we are talking about two different things here. The second pilot "Where Man Has Gone Before" was filmed in July 1965 and the memo is dated April 1966. At this point when the memo came out the pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before" had already been filmed. That memo is talking about props for the series after it had been approved for production. The phaser rifle that we know had already been used in the second pilot but apparently there was going to be design changes (like the changes made to the hand phasers and communicators for the series) to the phaser rifle for the series. As some point it was apparently decided that they wouldn't need a phaser rifle for the series.
Old March 16 2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

feek61 wrote: View Post
As some point it was apparently decided that they wouldn't need a phaser rifle for the series.
From what I've gathered, I think it's more that they were unable to get a decent phaser rifle prop made, so they had to settle for doing without.

Old March 16 2013, 09:01 PM   #23
feek61
Captain

Could very well be; I have not heard either way. I know that the P2 was suppose to be able to be integrated into the new phaser rifle similar to the way the P1 snaps into the P2 but I assume for budget reasons and maybe for design reasons as well they never pursued it.
Old March 16 2013, 09:24 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

I wonder if there are any surviving design drawings by Jefferies for what the, err, "phaser 3" might've looked like. Or, failing that, if there are fan designs for what a series-style phaser rifle might've looked like.

Old March 17 2013, 02:28 AM   #25
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

I wonder if there are any surviving design drawings by Jefferies for what the, err, "phaser 3" might've looked like. Or, failing that, if there are fan designs for what a series-style phaser rifle might've looked like.
Well, according to Jefferies' early drawing, the rifle was a "Phaser 4." (He identifies that the "Phaser 3" is actually the removable handle/"power pack.")

Star Trek Phase II did have a phaser rifle in "Blood and Fire. (I think that's the only episode in which we used it, but they all start to run together in my mind, so I'm not sure.) It was designed by Mr. John Broughton over at Starship Farragut. For our Phase II production, we modified it a tiny bit: we swapped out a new-style phaser 1 that Farragut had used, and replaced it with a standard phaser 1. We also added a "Sims' beacon" (one of those little flashlight-things that you can wear on a headband that we picked up at Wal*Mart) to the top of the targeting scope. This permits the user to see the target in darkened conditions. (More importantly, it also allowed director David Gerrold to capture a cool light beam to show up on our smoke-filled set, in a Steven Spielbergian fashion.)

http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 05:46 AM   #26
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

That original phaser rifle was a puny weapon. All it did to me was to clear up my chest congestion.
Old March 20 2013, 09:44 PM   #27
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

From about ten years ago. Several people in the tech forum were playing around with ideas on how it might have appeared. I threw my two cents worth in:

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/phas...le-revised.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/phaser-3.jpg
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2013, 04:47 AM   #28
Warped9
Admiral

I like this one.
Old April 7 2013, 08:27 AM   #29
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

The prop sold for $231,000. The headline is addressed to me personally because the CNN writer knows that when it comes to STAR TREK, I'm all up in it:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/06/sh...html?hpt=hp_c4
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 08:58 AM   #30
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Wow. It sold for 10 times the other mentioned items. Part of the value must be for being Held by Shatner.