RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,735
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 1053
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 15 2013, 08:41 PM   #46
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: German Covers for Typhon Pact

Why can't S & S do a deal with the German publishers to share costs of their covers rather than pay for their own Photoshop cut and paste jobs.

Both businesses would save cash and get the best artwork...
Old March 15 2013, 09:01 PM   #47
JD
Admiral

^Yeah, that would be great.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 10:26 PM   #48
Relayer1
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
^Yeah, that would be great.
I'm a genius...
Old March 16 2013, 12:42 AM   #49
tomswift2002
Captain

I like the shot of Voyager over San Francisco. Reminds me of the way the Enterprise was depicted on the inside covers of "Final Frontier" and "Strangers From The Sky" (you know the cutaway covers?)!
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 01:31 AM   #50
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Why can't S & S do a deal with the German publishers to share costs of their covers rather than pay for their own Photoshop cut and paste jobs.
S&S feels that their current cover approach is what's most likely to sell books. (If they didn't, they'd do something else instead!)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 02:07 AM   #51
Relayer1
Commodore

ATimson wrote: View Post
S&S feels that their current cover approach is what's most likely to sell books. (If they didn't, they'd do something else instead!)
I don't know about that. I'd assume that outside of the boost the movie release will give, demand for Trek novels is relatively inelastic. Therefore a cheapish cover image will not harm sales much, in the same way as a superb (and more expensive) painted cover probably would only boost sales slightly.

Pooling resources for a shared cover would therefore make good financial sense...
Old March 16 2013, 09:34 AM   #52
Mage
Fleet Captain

Both businesses would save cash and get the best artwork...
We can only hope....
Old March 16 2013, 03:37 PM   #53
Fer
Commander

Those covers all kick butt.
Old March 16 2013, 07:30 PM   #54
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile

I doubt it's as simple as two companies failing to pool resources. Cross Cult do use Pocket Books covers for many of their books. The reasons they might make their own at other times could be many, and certainly not limited to them simply not liking some of the less impressive Pocket covers - They are catering to a different market with different tastes. They are often publishing their versions of books years after the originals, so might want to model a new cover on what they think will work in the current market, not designs of years ago. Plus I imagine there's at least a little bit of it being about getting publicity; they get to make a bit of a fuss when they reveal a new cover design, so more people will hear about their books as a result.

So any money saved by not making two cover designs is I'm sure carefully balanced against the benefits of paying out to make something new. Plus it's not like Pocket can't make good covers on their own; I'd say Pocket and Cross Cult have similar hit and miss rates.
Old March 19 2013, 06:51 PM   #55
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

They have posted a draft for The Struggle Within cover (no German title yet).
Defcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 11:08 PM   #56
tomswift2002
Captain

Defcon wrote: View Post
They have posted a draft for The Struggle Within cover (no German title yet).

If I am translating the German correctly, it is going to be an e-book only release, which, from that first reaction, seems to be a shock to German fans. One fan has even asked if Cross Cult could just skip the ebook and do something similar to what they did with an earlier DS9 book (Demons of Air And Darkness-Horn and Ivory printed as one book in the past? The post, by Fabian Timme, says "DS9 band 804", which I'm not too sure what that means!)
Old March 19 2013, 11:15 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
The post, by Fabian Timme, says "DS9 band 804", which I'm not too sure what that means!)
"Band" is German for "volume."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 11:32 PM   #58
tomswift2002
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
The post, by Fabian Timme, says "DS9 band 804", which I'm not too sure what that means!)
"Band" is German for "volume."
Well, then the person seems to be referring to Demons Of Air And Darkness/Horn And Ivory, since that appears to be #4 in the Cross Cult series.