IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 14 2013, 03:35 PM   #16
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Fans raised 2 mil for Veronica Mars Movie- takes me back to 2005!

"Dinosaur Days of 2005"??

Ah, to be young and ignorant.

But still, good job for the Veronica Mars fans, I guess.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 07:38 PM   #17
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

joncreed wrote: View Post
Wow...takes me back to the heady days of Trek United! Going for 32 million to cover the cost for a 5th season, don't care if we ultimately failed, it was a helluva ride- so long ago, forgot how much money was raised. I was not a fan of "Veronica Mars" but I'm glad they come through, succeeded where TU failed. I'm happy for them. I guess Trek United was ahead of its time.
Yes, those were some wild times here. I remember the day of the cancellation announcement and the chaos and blood letting that went on. It made the shipper battls look like mild "disagreements'. The trolls were out in force "enjoying" the news of Ent's demise.

If I'm not mistaken, the fans-pay-for-a-season-of-Enterprise movement, started right here in the "Cancellation" thead, did it not? Anyone remember a few days after the world wide announcement of the movement, when there were some 3,000 or more visitors browsing this forum?

I wish the Veronica Mars' fans luck, but everyone should know that once again Trek fans were the innovators.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 08:07 PM   #18
rabid bat
Commodore

View rabid bat's Twitter Profile

Egad, Al Vinci - that's a name I haven't heard/thought of in years. That was a big part of the distaste at the end - with something like Kickstarter, the $$ would just be given back and that would be it, and there'd be considerably more accountability. It just kept getting weirder and weirder back then.

And it's true - V. Mars is definitely easier to produce (as is a lotta TV; those effects aren't cheap). Best of luck to 'em.
Artist formerly known as jespah.
rabid bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 04:24 AM   #19
joncreed
Commander

gblews wrote: View Post
joncreed wrote: View Post
Wow...takes me back to the heady days of Trek United! Going for 32 million to cover the cost for a 5th season, don't care if we ultimately failed, it was a helluva ride- so long ago, forgot how much money was raised. I was not a fan of "Veronica Mars" but I'm glad they come through, succeeded where TU failed. I'm happy for them. I guess Trek United was ahead of its time.
Yes, those were some wild times here. I remember the day of the cancellation announcement and the chaos and blood letting that went on. It made the shipper battls look like mild "disagreements'. The trolls were out in force "enjoying" the news of Ent's demise.

If I'm not mistaken, the fans-pay-for-a-season-of-Enterprise movement, started right here in the "Cancellation" thead, did it not? Anyone remember a few days after the world wide announcement of the movement, when there were some 3,000 or more visitors browsing this forum?

I wish the Veronica Mars' fans luck, but everyone should know that once again Trek fans were the innovators.
The idea came from another Trek forum site-forgot which one-inspired by "Farscape" fans who first came up with the idea of contributing to a series production. Suggested on this site, somebody contacted Tim and spread like wildfire. Looking back, I think a made-for-DVD finale to wipe out the turd "These Are the Voyages," would've been more realistic but hindsight is blah, blah, blah...
joncreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 07:04 AM   #20
mswood
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
That Star Trek: Renegades, starring Tim Russ, Walter Koenig, Robert Picardo, Ethan Phillips, Garratt Wang, JG Hertzler, Gary Graham and others didn't quite manage to reach their ultimate Kickstarter goal of $250,000 (they managed their bare-minimum of $200k) says it all about current interest in resurrecting Berman-era Trek.
Not even close. It's one thing for some random Trek performers to what to continue something, then the creator/Head writer, and stars of a series wanting to continue their story.

Of course CBS would absolutely never permit it, its the same basic reason as what occurred during ENterprise. The idea of dimension returns was felt to be (and since they get financials I would assume they known) the overall Trek franchise.

VM is like most tv shows an Island of tis own, it has soem tiny continued DVD sales, netflix, and streaming revenue that is brought it. There is no bigger picture that a low budget (basically low budget made for TV style film) can do.

Any legitimate Trek production can be viewed to diminish revenue streams that still continue (though nowhere near what they used to be), and certainly with a film series going they are going to never cross that.

Seriously look how much TNG's broadcast immediately damaged TOS film series. A series that had at worst finished 9th for its release year, never came close ever again, once it was in direct competition to free new episodes on broadcast (I am also sure this hurt TNG's film series, with both DS9 and Voyager airing).
Old March 15 2013, 12:37 PM   #21
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

Closing in on 3.5 million, just three days into the campaign. I still cannot fathom this happening to this degree.
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 01:11 PM   #22
Infern0
Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
That Star Trek: Renegades, starring Tim Russ, Walter Koenig, Robert Picardo, Ethan Phillips, Garratt Wang, JG Hertzler, Gary Graham and others didn't quite manage to reach their ultimate Kickstarter goal of $250,000 (they managed their bare-minimum of $200k) says it all about current interest in resurrecting Berman-era Trek.
Not to knock the effort, but Star Trek renegades looks awful.

The pitch was nothing like the Veronica Mars movie, which is the series creators and stars all getting back together for something "official"

Renegades is basically a fan-flik with a few of the actors in ill-fitting uniforms and budget sets which looks nothing like the show.

I did not donate to renegades because I have no interest in fan productions, credit Tim Russ and co on what they are doing but to me it's not worth spending money on

If there was some "official" fundraiser for a Trek Prime tv movie that was going to be cannon and have passable production values I would donate without question as would many others in my opinion.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 03:28 PM   #23
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Any chance the U.S.S. Kelvin/Kobayashi Maru simulator set still exists in storage? They're submarine-style like the NX-01. Mike Okuda onboard to recreate his ENT-era computer interfaces on all the monitors. Circular white Abramsverse corridors spray painted battleship grey and Bob's your uncle...

Admiral Archer saved his ship from decommissioning and got it refitted TMP-style, in 2163. Rounded up the whole crew to take on an emergency crisis. Shran along for the ride. Instant mid budget TV Movie sequel to Enterprise.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; March 15 2013 at 04:49 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Dream
Admiral

Infern0 wrote: View Post
If there was some "official" fundraiser for a Trek Prime tv movie that was going to be cannon and have passable production values I would donate without question as would many others in my opinion.
At this point, I think it is more likely that we would get a TNG TV movie with the original seven cast members than an ENT finale movie. TNG is still more popular if we compare Blu-Ray preorders.

But all the Trek TV series sets are now gone so they'll have to go with CGI backgrounds like the recent nuBSG prequel series that was released.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 10:11 PM   #25
lurok
Commodore

I'd donate towards a decent ENT finale.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 11:02 PM   #26
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I have a foggy recollection now, but didn't Trek United raise over $3 million of it's own back in 2005? Also wasn't there a larger pledge for more money contingent on Paramount green lighting the 5th season? Ah so many years ago now...

RAMA
Old March 16 2013, 06:04 AM   #27
joncreed
Commander

“actual monetary pledges to foot production costs speak more loudly to studios than petition signatures, mail-in campaign stunts and trade-pub advertisements,” said Rebecca Sun at The Hollywood Reporter. So going forward then, fans should note that a Kickstarter campaign like this has more of a chance of resuscitating a dead series...

okay, so what we tried to do 8 years was a gag?! TU campaign was ahead of its time.

Well with "Veronica Mars" a go, other creators are making inquires: Bryan Fuller for "Pushing Daisies" and "Wonderfalls," Sean Ryan for "Terriers." Personally, I'm hoping for the return "Jericho."

Anyway, I think for "Enterprise" to have another go is for somebody like Manny Coto to support the idea AND of course for Paramount to give the go-ahead. "Enterprise" would have a better shot of getting the greenlight from the Powers-that-Be then any of the TNGs because it won't interfere with the current Star Trek movie series.
joncreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 05:26 PM   #28
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

lurok wrote: View Post
I'd donate towards a decent ENT finale.
What, you didn't like Terra Prime?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 07:01 PM   #29
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

And then what happened?
Old March 17 2013, 10:53 PM   #30
teacock
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post

At this point, I think it is more likely that we would get a TNG TV movie with the original seven cast members than an ENT finale movie. TNG is still more popular if we compare Blu-Ray preorders.
We're not gonna get shit.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote