RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,737
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 1136
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 14 2013, 04:39 PM   #1561
propita
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Not having read the comics, it seems pointless to compare them in some ways. Basically, both took the same premise and some similar characters...and then explored different scenarios with it. More "what if it went down this way" than better or worse per se.

It's like BSG and nuBSG. The entire premise was taken into a different, but similar, direction. One is not necessarily better or worse than the other. Each is good or bad, and one may be preferred or more enjoyable than the other--and in that way may be considered to be "better."
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:00 PM   #1562
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I agree with propita. I'm interested in the narrative differences not as a matter of preference, but because the two "worlds" keep intersecting: so the plot of the show veers away from the books, but then a couple of characters get conflated (Herschel/Dale) or plots seem to reflect late stories from the books (does anyone else think Woodbury is starting to look more like Alexandria every day?). It's not quite Reed Richards arguing that any moment creates a new time-river; it is more like twin branches of the same river that keep coming together again.
Old March 14 2013, 09:13 PM   #1563
PKerr
Rear Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
Not having read the comics, it seems pointless to compare them in some ways. Basically, both took the same premise and some similar characters...and then explored different scenarios with it. More "what if it went down this way" than better or worse per se.

It's like BSG and nuBSG. The entire premise was taken into a different, but similar, direction. One is not necessarily better or worse than the other. Each is good or bad, and one may be preferred or more enjoyable than the other--and in that way may be considered to be "better."
Maybe you should, it's neat to see how close they are and aren't.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 10:55 PM   #1564
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Derishton wrote: View Post
I agree with propita. I'm interested in the narrative differences not as a matter of preference, but because the two "worlds" keep intersecting: so the plot of the show veers away from the books, but then a couple of characters get conflated (Herschel/Dale) or plots seem to reflect late stories from the books (does anyone else think Woodbury is starting to look more like Alexandria every day?). It's not quite Reed Richards arguing that any moment creates a new time-river; it is more like twin branches of the same river that keep coming together again.
I like the some of the changes in certain character's fates--rather, how certain negative events were shifted to supporting or minor characters, instead of what occured in the comics. TWD's producers want drama and shock, but after a time, it becomes a gimmick and sadistic--even in a horror series, when the leads are constantly abused/violated just to show how "gritty" the show can be.
Old March 15 2013, 04:37 AM   #1565
JD
Admiral

I've been starting to wonder if TWD isn't a show that would work better if it followed the British system of only between 5 - 10 episodes a season. While, it hasn't been as bad as season 2, I'm starting to feel that some of the Woodbury stuff is starting to feel a little bit dragged out. I read a story a few days ago where one of the people involved was hinting the story might continue into season 4, and I am really hoping it won't. It's barely held my interest for once season, I'd really rather not see them drag it out for two.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 04:51 AM   #1566
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I read a story a few days ago where one of the people involved was hinting the story might continue into season 4, and I am really hoping it won't. It's barely held my interest for once season, I'd really rather not see them drag it out for two.
With three episodes left in S3, i'm sure the producers will milk every scene of potential death, fighting and tragedy possible right up to the last frame of the season finale.

Many seem to think the governor plot will carry over into season 4, but that's just dragging out a plot that cannot believably continue--even for an audience already suspending disbelief about the central plot of zombies.

Last edited by TREK_GOD_1; March 15 2013 at 03:17 PM.
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 06:18 AM   #1567
SG-17
Commodore

I don't really have any feeling for these show characters like I do for their comic counterparts. Outside of Rick, Carl, and Daryl every time a characters gets heavily developed, they die pretty quickly. It is hard to care about a show when the writers don't care about their characters (or aren't allowed/given the time to care).

It is also the reason why I'm not overly attached to Game of Thrones. It is a good show, but not one I feel the need to catch every week when new episodes premier.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 03:47 PM   #1568
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I read a story a few days ago where one of the people involved was hinting the story might continue into season 4, and I am really hoping it won't. It's barely held my interest for once season, I'd really rather not see them drag it out for two.
With three episodes left in S3, i'm sure the producers will milk every scene of potential death, fighting and tragedy possible right up to the last frame of the season finale.

Many seem to think the governor plot will carry over into season 4, but that's just dragging out a plot that cannot believably continue--even for an audience already suspending disbelief about the central plot of zombies.
I could see the Woodbury plot carrying over to Season 4, but not the Governor plot.

I liked the little bit of dialogue when the Governor mentioned that he was at work "taking shit from a boss half my age and with an IQ to match," and I think Rick has him pretty well sussed out.

As for Andrea, she is a frustrating character but from her conversation with Hershal I think she knows that she belongs with Rick's group. I think she still hopes that she can convince some of the Woodbury people to not go ahead with the attack, she seems to see herself as a peacekeeper.

Regarding character deaths, I don't actually want any of the prison lot to die. Beth is the obvious one to assume, but I'd like her to stick around. They seemed to be setting up a sort of love-triangle between her, Rick and Carl. But who knows what the producers are thinking. I'd like to see Merle stick around for a while longer as well just because it's fun to have an unstable element in the show.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 04:41 PM   #1569
propita
Rear Admiral

PKerr wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post

Maybe you should, it's neat to see how close they are and aren't.
Yeh, I can see that. But I'm too cheap to blow more money on comics when I have a wall of boxes of them in my basement.

I like Beth. She's not shown much and doesn't do much, but it's like she's this bubble of innocence in a way. Despite whatever issues she has had, there's a bit of purity about her. I think the others want to protect that, more than just because she's one of them, but because that light is rare in their world.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 08:08 PM   #1570
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Mojochi wrote: View Post
There's been better things about season 3 compared to 2, & some that still aren't that great compared to the 1st. The character development drags & often gets derailed for nonsense, but the events which do tend to reflect some of the comic are still pretty awesome

Overall, the show is still definitely worth watching, but they do inflict a lot of wayward nonsense & ill conceived character arcs on the viewer. A lot of that emerges from the fact that in order to keep the budget under control, they have to settle in on some plots & drag them out longer than how the show started in the very short 1st season, which wears on the fans' patience.
Well the ratings are going through the roof, so apparently the fans don't agree with you.

I can see the Govenor storyline continuing to season 4 and ending in the season 4 premiere. I wouldn't be surprised if the battle didn't start until the end of the season 3 finale and we find out the Gov's fate (or some other main character's) in season 4. Gotta keep us anticipating and talking about the show in the off season.
gblews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 08:10 PM   #1571
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

After Glenn and Maggie's frolic in the prison last week, I'm convinced that since they're happy (well, as happy as a couple can be in the zombie apocalypse) that one or both aren't going to survive the prison. Also, judging by Milton's awkward glance toward the Governor in the same episode, I'm thinking he's going to be the one to off Philip and possibly take Glenn's place in Rick's group.
Old March 15 2013, 08:13 PM   #1572
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Milton? take Glenn's place? nah. can't see it.
Old March 15 2013, 08:46 PM   #1573
Pavonis
Commodore

Milton is nothing like Glenn. Glenn can fight. Milton couldn't defend himself from a biter strapped to a bed.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 08:50 PM   #1574
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Yea, I figured both Glenn and Maggie were safe to make it out of S2 alive, because they wern't a happy enough couple yet, but, I think that invulnernability is gone now. Still, I think Glenn serves a role in the show that there's no one to replace him with, so, I don't see him dying just yet, but, I could see TPB ripping Glenn's heart out by killing Maggie (Though I certainly don't want to see that). Truth be told, other then the Governor (I do think he's toast very soon) and Andrea (I think she'll live to either take over Woodbury or rejoin our group) there really isn't anyone main I want to lose. I would certainly trade killing Milton in order to keep another regular. Merle deserve to die, but, he's good for the show for drama, I believe.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 09:38 PM   #1575
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Milton is nothing like Glenn. Glenn can fight. Milton couldn't defend himself from a biter strapped to a bed.
At first I thought this was one of those statements like, "He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!" But it's literally true.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote