Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 14 2013, 10:32 PM   #1951
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Finished Enterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre. Sadly not a great ST book. I enjoyed the begining of the book, but found the vaudeville company very distracting to the rest of the story. Anyone else read this one?
Old March 14 2013, 10:36 PM   #1952
ConRefit79
Captain

Now reading The Buried Age. Next will be Reap the Whirlwind, followed by Forged in Fire.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 06:36 PM   #1953
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Just posted my review of Dayton Ward's first full-length Trek novel, In the Name of Honor. Definitely enjoyed that one!

Right now I'm reading A Time to Die by John Vornholt and working my way through the SCE series. I'm currently on The Riddled Post by Aaron Rosenberg.
Trek Lit Reviews (Seekers #1: Second Nature by David Mack - August 31st, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 07:40 PM   #1954
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
Finished Enterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre. Sadly not a great ST book. I enjoyed the begining of the book, but found the vaudeville company very distracting to the rest of the story. Anyone else read this one?
If you mean Enterprise: The First Adventure (which for some reason Goodreads.com also just calls Enterprise, even though The First Adventure is in big letters on the cover) then I own it, and have read it atleast once. Its been awhile, but I remember thinking it was ok, but not great. the vaudeville thing was really weird.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 09:29 PM   #1955
AdmiralSteven
Lieutenant Commander

The Alexandria Link by Steve Berry. This is the second book in the Cotten Malone series.
Old March 15 2013, 10:21 PM   #1956
JD
Admiral

How is that series? I've seen it mentioned several times by James Rollins, who's Sigma Force series is a favorite of mine.
Old March 16 2013, 02:50 AM   #1957
Use of Time
Commodore

Just started The IDIC Epidemic by Jean Lorrah. So far so good.
Old March 16 2013, 05:03 AM   #1958
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

TOS - Devil's Bargain - 50+ pages in and enjoying it
Old March 16 2013, 06:59 AM   #1959
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

I recently read two novels:

*"Along Came a Spider"by James Patterson - I have seen the film adaptation (which was pretty poor) and the novel obviously expands on the story, but the novel itself is a cliché and isn't as good as it should be. Still, I hope that the rest of the series picks up...(I do own Crossfire and Four Blind Mice - I read Four Blind Mice years ago - but I'm going to be able to look at the series as a whole rather than based on one book).

My score: 2/5

*"hadows of the Moon"by Zoe Marriott - A fantasy story set in a fantasy Japanese society; a girl who wants revenge on a lord who betrayed her father, and must be invited to a high society ball in order to speak to a prince and "out" her stepfather as the evil man that he is. (The conclusion doesn't necessarily go that way, which makes much of the story pointless, since she is being trained to become princess, gaining the attention of the prince...or Moon Prince...which will give her enough clout as a person of high society to do what she has to do). Moreover, there is a "Blasian" romance between the girl - Suzume - and a black young man from a presumably fantasy African country. Interestingly, as much as I give the author "props" for this romance, the suitor doesn't really affect the plot; he could have been jettisoned, and nothing would have really changed in the story...

The books I plan on reading next: "Fledgling" by Octavia Butler...and "Kiss the Girls" by the aforementioned James Patterson.
Old March 16 2013, 09:15 AM   #1960
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
If you mean Enterprise: The First Adventure (which for some reason Goodreads.com also just calls Enterprise, even though The First Adventure is in big letters on the cover) then I own it, and have read it atleast once. Its been awhile, but I remember thinking it was ok, but not great. the vaudeville thing was really weird.

Yes, that is the proper title. Nice to see I was not alone on the vaudeville thing
Old March 16 2013, 12:40 PM   #1961
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
I recently read two novels:

*"Along Came a Spider"by James Patterson - I have seen the film adaptation (which was pretty poor) and the novel obviously expands on the story, but the novel itself is a cliché and isn't as good as it should be. Still, I hope that the rest of the series picks up...(I do own Crossfire and Four Blind Mice - I read Four Blind Mice years ago - but I'm going to be able to look at the series as a whole rather than based on one book).

The books I plan on reading next: "Fledgling" by Octavia Butler...and "Kiss the Girls" by the aforementioned James Patterson.
I read Along Came a Spider last year, and my thinking was not too far from yours. I don't get how Patterson is considered one of the biggest mystery writers today.

About ten years ago I tried Roses are Red and then eventually Violets are Blue and was massively underwhelmed by them both. 'Spider' was to check that if my inital reaction was wrong. I'm don't think it was.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 03:35 PM   #1962
Fer
Commander

I finished Choices of One and am currently on The Ruins of Dantooine. Next up is The Last Jedi.
Old March 16 2013, 06:00 PM   #1963
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Starting the first SCE book.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 03:28 AM   #1964
Snaploud
Admiral

I recently finished reading Shadow of Freedom by David Weber (the latest Honor Harrington novel) and the first five books in S.M. Stirling's The General series (The Forge, The Hammer, The Anvil, The Steel, and The Sword).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2013, 03:36 PM   #1965
Brit
Captain

Currently I am reading a nonfiction book, Warped Passages by Lisa Randall. I'm really enjoying it.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote