TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old March 15 2013, 05:49 PM   #91
tighr
Commodore

Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

1001001 wrote: View Post
I know the NFL is a business, and loyalty to a team or a player is not very important anymore. Still there are some things you just wish were different, not from a business standpoint, but an emotional one.
Which is funny when you consider how die-hard some fans of certain teams are. That team doesn't care about you or it's players and coaches, just like it's players and coaches don't care about that team.

College football is the only sport left where fans should maintain lifelong allegiances; all other sports are mercenary. I bought two Peyton Manning jerseys (a home and away) when he was with the Colts, and I have a Mike Alstott Tampa jersey, but I'll never buy another NFL endorsed product again. From now on, I'll go to the games and cheer for the teams/players I feel like on any given Sunday.
Old March 15 2013, 07:21 PM   #92
Let the Good Times Roll!!

That's funny you say that.

I've seen those Steven Jackson jersey ads on TV, and I thought I'd really like one, but I'll wait to see if he re-signs with the Rams first.

Glad I saved my money.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old March 15 2013, 07:39 PM   #93
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

tighr wrote: View Post
College football is the only sport left where fans should maintain lifelong allegiances; all other sports are mercenary. I bought two Peyton Manning jerseys (a home and away) when he was with the Colts, and I have a Mike Alstott Tampa jersey, but I'll never buy another NFL endorsed product again. From now on, I'll go to the games and cheer for the teams/players I feel like on any given Sunday.
This is why I prefer jerseys of retired players. You know all the teams they'll ever play for and you won't run the risk of later having memories of that player crushing your team while playing for someone else.
Old March 15 2013, 08:06 PM   #94
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Et tu, Woodhead?
Old March 15 2013, 09:19 PM   #95
tighr
Commodore

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
This is why I prefer jerseys of retired players. You know all the teams they'll ever play for and you won't run the risk of later having memories of that player crushing your team while playing for someone else.
Didn't work out so good for Favre fans, eh?

Old March 15 2013, 09:25 PM   #96
tighr
Commodore

Breaking, Denver poops the bed on resigning Elvis Dumveril. Despite getting him to agree to restructure his contract, they failed to get the paperwork to the NFL by the 4pm ET deadline (literally by minutes, apparently) and have decided to cut him instead.
Old March 15 2013, 09:38 PM   #97
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Let the Kevin Kolb era begin...just not in Arizona.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...zona-cardinals

I still can't believe anyone would pay that much for a career backup.

EDIT: Just reading about the Dumervil situation. How in the hell does THAT happen? I can't even wrap my brain around it.

Last edited by Sheep; March 15 2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old March 15 2013, 10:52 PM   #98
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^I am so pissed about the Dumervil situation. How the hell do you take 40 minutes to fax a contract in?! I hope Elvis and the Broncos are able to get a new contract negotiated, otherwise this will be a serious fuckup if he ends up walking. I haven't seen any details on this part of it yet, but having to cut Elvis may result in some serious salary cap implications as well.

EDIT- Per USA Today, having to release Dumervil has resulted in a $5M hit against the salary cap this year, leaving them with only $8M. The deal they agreed to is now financially impossible unless cap space is cleared.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama

Last edited by archeryguy1701; March 15 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Additional details about salary cap hit
Old March 16 2013, 06:39 PM   #99
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
And of course I'm in North Dakota and surrounded by Vikings fans with no shoulder to cry on. On a slow burn to detontation.
I'm kind of in the same boat with regards to Greg Jennings- A Packer fan surrounded by Vikings fans gloating about their acquisition.

God, I wish Jennings would have signed with any team other than the Vikings. I was resigned to the fact he was done in Green Bay, but why did he have to go to Minnesota, of all teams? Then again, he may not be much of a deep threat with Ponder throwing to him.
Old March 16 2013, 07:07 PM   #100
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

tighr wrote: View Post
Didn't work out so good for Favre fans, eh?
Well, you can't just buy it the next day. For example, I have a Randall Cunningham jersey for the Eagles. I doubt he's going to start playing for the Cowboys or Giants any time soon, so I'll be fine.
Old March 16 2013, 09:31 PM   #101
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
And of course I'm in North Dakota and surrounded by Vikings fans with no shoulder to cry on. On a slow burn to detontation.
I'm kind of in the same boat with regards to Greg Jennings- A Packer fan surrounded by Vikings fans gloating about their acquisition.

God, I wish Jennings would have signed with any team other than the Vikings. I was resigned to the fact he was done in Green Bay, but why did he have to go to Minnesota, of all teams? Then again, he may not be much of a deep threat with Ponder throwing to him.
I'm with you, Peg. Manning to Welker sounds about as natural as Obama, Ahmadinejad, and that new dude in North Korea teaming up for 3-on-3.

Woodhead to the Chargers and rumors about Edelman leaving? What is it with short, underrated white guys leaving New England?!?!? (I'm a short white guy who left New England myself.)
Old March 19 2013, 09:19 AM   #102
chrisspringob
Commodore

The Ravens might not get the traditional Super Bowl Champion Thursday night opener to kick off the season, because of a scheduling conflict with the Orioles:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...VvN/story.html

There’s a strong possibility the Patriots will open the NFL season Sept. 5 at Baltimore, if a scheduling conflict can be worked out.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft told the team’s website Monday that he’d “be surprised” if New England didn’t take on the Ravens for the NFL Kickoff Game at M&T Bank Stadium in an AFC Championship game rematch.

But as it stands today, that wouldn’t happen.

The Orioles are scheduled to host the White Sox in the opening game of a four-game series at 7 p.m. at Camden Yards. The two stadiums share a parking lot, so the team can’t play at the same time.

The NFL is hoping MLB moves the Orioles to the afternoon. The NFL is willing to push the start later than the usual 7:30 p.m. kickoff.
The article goes on to say that moving it to Wednesday wouldn't work either. So if the scheduling conflict with the Orioles can't be worked out, then I guess the alternatives would be 1) open the season with a Ravens away game (which would be against some other team besides the Patriots), or 2) open it with a matchup of two completely different teams, perhaps moving New England @ Baltimore to the Week 1 Sunday night game.
Old March 19 2013, 06:12 PM   #103
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Let's go Patriots!!
Old March 19 2013, 06:17 PM   #104
Sheep
Vice Admiral

I'm with you, Peg. Manning to Welker sounds about as natural as Obama, Ahmadinejad, and that new dude in North Korea teaming up for 3-on-3.
A year ago, Peyton Manning in anything other than a Colts uniform also sounded wrong and about as likely as Joe Flacco winning a Superbowl.
Old March 19 2013, 06:47 PM   #105
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Haha, Joe Flacco.

Oh wait, he's kinda good. Too bad everyone around him split.

That AFC title game this year kinda still stings.
Closed Thread