Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 15 2013, 02:10 PM   #31
starburst
Fleet Captain

Re: Lindelof On The Mysterious Harrison

One of the earlier trailers shows him jump around in a manner no ordinary human could... Almost like hes some sort of Jedi
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 02:24 PM   #32
Opus
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
OphaClyde wrote: View Post

Saying Harrison is a pseudonym doesn't give anything away though. If anything, it heightens the mystery.
Wrong.

It tells us that when his identity is revealed it will be a big moment- someone known even to casual Trek viewers as bad ass.

It ain't Muddy nor Mitchell.
Yeah, poor word choice on my part. Not "mystery". But leaking the name of "John Harrison", then later admitting it's a pseudonym has certainly kept the buzz going about the movie.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 02:30 PM   #33
yenny
Captain

Y'all know that Vulcan gravity is much higher then Earth. That would be the reason why Spock can do what he can do.

Same with Harrison. He most liking wasn't born on Earth, but on a planet that has a higher gravity then Earth.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 02:49 PM   #34
Franklin
Rear Admiral

The payoff for who he is will have to be big. Big to fans, but big to a general audience as well. In my opinion, April's son (the guess of some folks -- not a spoiler) doesn't fit that bill. He'd be the son of an obscure character from a cartoon and a comic book. For that matter, even Robert April himself wouldn't be that big a payoff for the non-fan movie goer. And, it would give us yet another Starfleet officer gone bad. How many would that be now? Half of them? Seems like it. In ST09 Abrams deliberately tried to show heroic officers other than Kirk (Robau, Kirk's dad, and Pike).

I keep going through characters from TOS, even the good guys, and Khan is still the only one I can perceive of as having enough name recognition to be of interest to a general audience.

But that doesn't mean I'm convinced he's Khan. If he is, he's going to have one hell of a backstory that led him to becoming Harrison.

What I'm holding out hope for is Harrison's true identity is a jaw-dropping surprise. An "ohmygodreally?" moment. Khan would be OK. But would that be a surprise? Not any more. At this point, it would be anticlimactic.
Old March 15 2013, 03:09 PM   #35
serenitytrek1
Commander

Re: Lindelof On The Mysterious Harris

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote:
It tells us that when his, identity is revealed it will be a big moment- someone known even to casual Trek viewers as bad ass.

It ain't Muddy nor Mitchell.
Well if it is him I'm hoping when he trashes the fleet he uses a certain type of 4 digit code that is known to screw up federation starships as the irony would be delicious.
In the most recent issue of "Countdown To Darkness"...

In the last countdown book (issue 2) it showed Spock running off.where did he run off too?

Last edited by serenitytrek1; March 15 2013 at 03:53 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 03:29 PM   #36
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Franklin wrote: View Post
I keep going through characters from TOS, even the good guys, and Khan is still the only one I can perceive of as having enough name recognition to be of interest to a general audience.

But that doesn't mean I'm convinced he's Khan. If he is, he's going to have one hell of a backstory that led him to becoming Harrison.

What I'm holding out hope for is Harrison's true identity is a jaw-dropping surprise. An "ohmygodreally?" moment. Khan would be OK. But would that be a surprise? Not any more. At this point, it would be anticlimactic.
Completely agreed. Khan would make sense from the jawdropping point of view (although it wouldn't really surprise anyone anymore at this point), but storywise it wouldn't make any sense at all.

But who says it has to be someone well known to the general audience? Maybe his backstory will be explained in a few throwaway lines or in a flashback scene. But that still makes me scratch my head about who from TOS it could be. If it wasn't so extremely unlikely, I'd say it was someone we know from the (Prime)TNG era. Or maybe from Enterprise ... Malcolm Reed's grandson perhaps? Unlikely, I know.
Old March 15 2013, 03:39 PM   #37
Saul
Rear Admiral

starburst wrote: View Post
One of the earlier trailers shows him jump around in a manner no ordinary human could... Almost like hes some sort of Jedi
The Sith returned!

Or KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN.
Old March 15 2013, 04:02 PM   #38
yenny
Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post

Completely agreed. Khan would make sense from the jawdropping point of view (although it wouldn't really surprise anyone anymore at this point), but storywise it wouldn't make any sense at all.

But who says it has to be someone well known to the general audience? Maybe his backstory will be explained in a few throwaway lines or in a flashback scene. But that still makes me scratch my head about who from TOS it could be. If it wasn't so extremely unlikely, I'd say it was someone we know from the (Prime)TNG era. Or maybe from Enterprise ... Malcolm Reed's grandson perhaps? Unlikely, I know.
I don't think John Harrison is someone from the Roddenberry universe. If you look at who he had target? He'd someone set off a exploded device in London England. He goes after star fleet, especially Pike and Marcus. Both of them had serve on the same ship sometime in the past together.
Old March 15 2013, 04:17 PM   #39
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

yenny wrote: View Post
I don't think John Harrison is someone from the Roddenberry universe. If you look at who he had target? He'd someone set off a exploded device in London England. He goes after star fleet, especially Pike and Marcus. Both of them had serve on the same ship sometime in the past together.
Maybe he's someone from pop culture, from the public domain. Tough British guy, who's available? Beowulf? Captain Hook? Allan Quatermain? Tarzan? Sherlock Holmes?
Old March 15 2013, 04:39 PM   #40
yenny
Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Maybe he's someone from pop culture, from the public domain. Tough British guy, who's available? Beowulf? Captain Hook? Allan Quatermain? Tarzan? Sherlock Holmes?
Try Captian April. It is something that April had done in why Harrison is doing in what he doing. Most likely Harrison was part of the group that the Klingons were supporting. He might had been the son of that group leader. April most likely had hurt or cost the death of that leader.
Old March 15 2013, 05:10 PM   #41
WarpFactorZ
Captain

It is something that April had done in why Harrison is doing in what he doing. Most likely Harrison was part of the group that the Klingons were supporting. He might had been the son of that group leader. April most likely had hurt or cost the death of that leader.
The aliens April and the Klingons are supporting are insect-like, not human. So, that's unlikely, unless the movie will suggest that April and the Klingons pitted a bunch of difference races against one another.

Anyway, there is a line spoken by someone (an Admiral) in the recent preview that suggests Harrison is a "Starfleet Commander", whatever that is supposed to mean.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 05:31 PM   #42
yenny
Captain

It is something that April had done in why Harrison is doing in what he doing. Most likely Harrison was part of the group that the Klingons were supporting. He might had been the son of that group leader. April most likely had hurt or cost the death of that leader.
The aliens April and the Klingons are supporting are insect-like, not human. So, that's unlikely, unless the movie will suggest that April and the Klingons pitted a bunch of difference races against one another.

Anyway, there is a line spoken by someone (an Admiral) in the recent preview that suggests Harrison is a "Starfleet Commander", whatever that is supposed to mean.
I've never read those comics. Maybe Harrison was the son of someone that was supporting the same group that the Klingons were supporting? Captain April caught him red handed. Which most likely lead him in supporting the other group.

Last edited by yenny; March 15 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old March 15 2013, 06:40 PM   #43
thumbtack
Commodore

We're all idiots who don't understand corporate obligation.
That's better.

Khan would be OK. But would that be a surprise? Not any more. At this point, it would be anticlimactic.
Well, they tried their best.

Old March 15 2013, 07:01 PM   #44
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
It's not necessary to be so dismissive and arrogant about it all the time. Especially since you've been this way with both peple saying he is Khan and with people saying he isn't Khan at different times.
I agree. I can't tell which side of the fence this guy is on. He either thinks it *is* Khan, and is poo-pooing people who don't. Or, exactly the opposite. Or both.
No, I'm pretty sure that he's been maintaining all along that it'll be Khan and that it won't be Gary Mitchell, Harry Mudd, Squire Trelane, Gary Seven, the Horta, the Hunchback of Notre Dame or the Phantom of the Opera.

In any event, he comes off as very rude and haughty every time.
I'm also pretty sure that Legion has never made any secret of the fact that "Arrogant SOB" is part of his job title and his internet presence.

So, Legion, we get it: you love the idea it's Khan, and you hate it at the same time, and we're all idiots who don't understand movies, marketing, or Star Trek. Next contribution?
What he doesn't do, though, is to go fishing by putting words into the mouths of others.
Old March 15 2013, 07:48 PM   #45
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Try Captian April.
That's a good example, although Captain April is not in the public domain, he's not part of popular culture, and he's not a tough British guy.