Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old March 13 2013, 07:22 PM   #2011
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

On a completely different subject, I think I just remembered what I thought their missed chance in the Citadel DLC was. That, or you can tell me I missed it.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 07:26 PM   #2012
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
On a completely different subject, I think I just remembered what I thought their missed chance in the Citadel DLC was. That, or you can tell me I missed it.

No, I don't think you missed it.

Didn't mind going through during the main game as you could always eavesdrop on what the two guards were saying.
Old March 13 2013, 09:39 PM   #2013
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

BW said that we could headcanon the end of the game. This is how mine went....

Win.
Old March 13 2013, 09:53 PM   #2014
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

That would work better if he were in starbrat form, in this case it just makes the case against renegade interupts if children are within 100 yards.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 03:14 AM   #2015
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

LeadHead wrote: View Post
That would work better if he were in starbrat form, in this case it just makes the case against renegade interupts if children are within 100 yards.
You mean the case *for*. Even in the beginning of the game, I hated the little snot. FEEL SORRY FOR ME BECAUSE I AM A CHILD. YOU CAN TELL THIS IS TRAGIC BECAUSE SAD MUSIC IS PLAYING.
Old March 15 2013, 01:54 PM   #2016
Jeyl
Commodore

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
You mean the case *for*. Even in the beginning of the game, I hated the little snot. FEEL SORRY FOR ME BECAUSE I AM A CHILD. YOU CAN TELL THIS IS TRAGIC BECAUSE SAD MUSIC IS PLAYING.
Freaking A. This kid was terrible right from the start because he defeats the very purpose as to what this game should have been about. The culmination of events that the entire series has been leading towards. Having Shepard's emotions focus primarily on this kid does the series a disservice because he's only unique to this installment. It's like if Return of the King introduced another character for Frodo to interact who dies thanks to Sauron and that becomes Frodo's motivation for wanting to finish his quest. You shouldn't do that when there are already plenty of reasons for Shepard to fight!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 02:08 PM   #2017
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

I'll never understand that complaint. The kid was obviously a symbol for the straw that broke Shepard's emotional back, his/her feelings of helplessness about what's happening on Earth and to humans in general. All the guilt and the fear about humanity's fate crystallized into the form of one helpless (dead) kid that Shepard couldn't save - just like the planet that was falling when Shepard watched the kid die - in a way that nobody else we'd met before would fit.
Old March 15 2013, 03:35 PM   #2018
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, as much as I dislike the endings, having the child at the beginning makes perfect sense. It's basically like that bit in 'Schindler's List' where he sees amidst the chaos in the streets, this one little girl in a bright red coat wandering through it all, untouched and unnoticed by anyone else...then later in the film the coat reappears on a pile of bodies.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 03:43 PM   #2019
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

Agreed, I felt it was very appropriate to see the human cost right away in the game. It was also a great branching off point for character development. A paragon could easily become much more renegade after that.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 03:52 PM   #2020
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Agreed, I felt it was very appropriate to see the human cost right away in the game. It was also a great branching off point for character development. A paragon could easily become much more renegade after that.
Whereas a renegade (or a pragmatic paragon) will be going "what the heck is this? My Shepard isn't haunted by these strange dreams. WTF, Bioware?"

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old March 15 2013, 04:05 PM   #2021
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think it works either way since you don't often have any say in what you dream about. Sometimes it's meaningful, sometimes not. It's open to interpretation.

Besides, it wasn't the child's death that haunted Shepard, it was there sheer volume of death over the years. That's why the dark shadows became more numerous each time and why the voices of more deceased characters could be heard each time. The image of the child was just a symbol.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 04:13 PM   #2022
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

ATimson wrote: View Post
Whereas a renegade (or a pragmatic paragon) will be going "what the heck is this? My Shepard isn't haunted by these strange dreams. WTF, Bioware?"
Interestingly, even this makes sense, because it's what psychologists call "denial": "I'm a tough, cynical guy, nothing moves me, not even genocide. I'm totally not being haunted by these dreams."
Old March 15 2013, 05:07 PM   #2023
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I don't mind the kid at the beginning. I can appreciate the viewpoint that it seems like an enforced emotional anchor, but as others have pointed out, it would seem to fit, particularly with a paragon Shepard.

On my initial playthrough I remember thinking that the story would perhaps have been better served had it been Anderson copping it at the start of the game, to provide a greater emotional resonance, however, he provided a much better emotional conduit to what was going on on Earth as the game went along. Plus, he has a great, GREAT final scene at the end of the game, I wouldn't want to have missed that.
Old March 15 2013, 07:13 PM   #2024
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
I think it works either way since you don't often have any say in what you dream about. Sometimes it's meaningful, sometimes not. It's open to interpretation.
And if we were talking about real life, that would hold. But since this is a narrative, its inclusion means it's meaningful, full stop.

Reverend wrote: View Post
Besides, it wasn't the child's death that haunted Shepard, it was there sheer volume of death over the years. That's why the dark shadows became more numerous each time and why the voices of more deceased characters could be heard each time. The image of the child was just a symbol.
If the child is just a symbol rather than the catalyst
for the dream, then why wasn't Shepard having similar dreams before his death?

Old March 15 2013, 08:19 PM   #2025
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Because it was the unpreventable loss of Earth - coincidinciding with the kid's death at the same time - that pushed Shep to that place, the culmination of everything else.