Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 11 2013, 09:17 PM   #76
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Taylor Swift, Why The Hate?

^
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 10:07 PM   #77
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
And besides, some people like Bob Dylan's singing, so it takes all kinds.
OMG! Now she is being compared to Dylan. Please stop. You may be unaware but Dylan's "singing" was iconic and nearly as revolutionary as his songwriting. It is not a simple matter of, "he had a mediocre voice, as does Taylor, so it's okay to still like her singing".

Pop music had never seen a guy with Dylan's voice stand out front and mesmerize a crowd. His voice ushered in the whole singer songwriter era and was the first pop star to show that you didn't need to have a voice like Sinatra's or Patti Paige's to move a person with your songs.

indeed.
No, I'm saying that you don't need a great voice to be very successful. Would you have been happier if I'd said Tom Waits, whose singing I actually really like? Or Axl Rose maybe? Take the songwriting out of it; nothing she's ever written can compare with Dylan's writing.

I don't really care about his being revolutionary or changing the types of singing that would be accepted. Ok, no... I appreciate it from a historical perspective. But the best Bob Dylan songs are the ones sung by Joan Baez, or Peter Paul and Mary, or... anybody else, really. Taylor Swift too, probably. So yes, it really is a matter of "he had a mediocre voice, as does Taylor, so it's okay to still like her singing."
Old March 12 2013, 02:52 AM   #78
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post

They take the more respectable high road. Double haha
If singers stopped writing about their personal lives there wouldn't be a music industry.
Well, there's only so many times a beautiful, talented, insanely rich woman can write about a broken heart before people start to get suspicious.
I've a feeling it's over three digits.

Watching the Late Late Show as I type this. The Subject: Taylor Swift's serial dating.
Old March 12 2013, 03:28 AM   #79
Forbin
Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
And besides, some people like Bob Dylan's singing, so it takes all kinds.
OMG! Now she is being compared to Dylan. Please stop. You may be unaware but Dylan's "singing" was iconic and nearly as revolutionary as his songwriting. It is not a simple matter of, "he had a mediocre voice, as does Taylor, so it's okay to still like her singing".

Pop music had never seen a guy with Dylan's voice stand out front and mesmerize a crowd. His voice ushered in the whole singer songwriter era and was the first pop star to show that you didn't need to have a voice like Sinatra's or Patti Paige's to move a person with your songs.

indeed.
No, I'm saying that you don't need a great voice to be very successful. Would you have been happier if I'd said Tom Waits, whose singing I actually really like? Or Axl Rose maybe? Take the songwriting out of it; nothing she's ever written can compare with Dylan's writing.

I don't really care about his being revolutionary or changing the types of singing that would be accepted. Ok, no... I appreciate it from a historical perspective. But the best Bob Dylan songs are the ones sung by Joan Baez, or Peter Paul and Mary, or... anybody else, really. Taylor Swift too, probably. So yes, it really is a matter of "he had a mediocre voice, as does Taylor, so it's okay to still like her singing."
Indigo Girls. The best cover of Tangled Up in Blue, EVER!! They also do a killer Watchtower.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:24 PM   #80
gturner
Admiral

I'm waiting for Taylor Swift and Katie Perry to have a torrid love affair. The decade of break-up songs would define a generation.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:16 AM   #81
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

View JayOwl's Twitter Profile

I don't care much for a lot of her 'breakup songs' lyrics, but they're easily bearable- much better than painfully obvious innuendos. She's actually one of the few really popular female pop artists I like at the moment, meaning I prefer her (along with Kelly Clarkson) to Katy Perry, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Rita Ora, etc by a huge margin. I haven't really noticed much hate although what I have seen seems to only be since "Red" (where she adopted a more 'poppy' sound on some songs).
JayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:18 AM   #82
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Plus she just throws her unopened fanmail into dumpsters.
http://gawker.com/5990120/hundreds-o...ville-dumpster
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:24 AM   #83
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

gturner wrote: View Post
I'm waiting for Taylor Swift and Katie Perry to have a torrid love affair. The decade of break-up songs would define a generation.
I'm waiting for that for different reasons.
Old March 13 2013, 02:21 AM   #84
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

So say we all.
Old March 15 2013, 07:02 AM   #85
Fearless
Commodore

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
She is a big mouthed bitch who can't take a joke and needs to grow up.
Wow...You mad bro? This is too much.

Anyway...I didn't care for "22" when I heard it months ago but I have to say I love the video...looks like so much fun!

Taylor Swift "22"

Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 11:01 AM   #86
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Samaritan wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
She is a big mouthed bitch who can't take a joke and needs to grow up.
Wow...You mad bro? This is too much.

Anyway...I didn't care for "22" when I heard it months ago but I have to say I love the video...looks like so much fun!

Taylor Swift "22"

God, that's a Justin Bieber song! I bet he doesn't get 185 award nominations for it, either. That is horrible music!
Old March 15 2013, 11:41 AM   #87
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
God, that's a Justin Bieber song! I bet he doesn't get 185 award nominations for it, either. That is horrible music!
That's a bit of an overreaction. What did you expect? It's disposable pop with a melody that you can hum and above-average lyrics. It's very vanilla, but then, you don't aim for the teen/tween audience by being edgy and hip.
Old March 15 2013, 02:39 PM   #88
The Wormhole
Admiral

So now she has a song out about being 22, and just a few years ago she had one about being 15. So it's not just ex-boyfriends, she also sings repeatedly about what each age is like.
Old March 15 2013, 04:20 PM   #89
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
So now she has a song out about being 22, and just a few years ago she had one about being 15. So it's not just ex-boyfriends, she also sings repeatedly about what each age is like.
Everyone does that:
Old March 15 2013, 06:26 PM   #90
The Wormhole
Admiral

But does The Cure have another song about being another age? If they do, I conceed the point.