Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old March 15 2013, 03:16 AM   #151
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Although this entire batch is enjoyable, The Warrior is one of my favourites. It's just so cool.
Old March 15 2013, 04:26 AM   #152
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Where you keep saying "Ancients", don't you mean Asgard (The Grey skinny naked guys (IE: Thor, Freyr, Heimdall).

BTW, did you notice in the credits Heimdall is voiced by Doctor Frazier (Teryl Rothery)
Dang it I do me Asgardians, mental slip there. I'll go back and edit the post for clarity. Thanks.
I should've proof read it but even then I was kinda rushing to get my thoughts out during my lunch hour. Sorry for the confusion.

I did catch that voice work in the credits, nice touch. The doctor voicing the doctor/scientist.
Old March 15 2013, 06:10 AM   #153
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Actually they're simply called the Asgard (singular and plural) even though Asgardians would have been more correct.

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Daniel is in such bad shape that Jack Carter of the Tok'ra is brought in
Wrong show! But it would have been cool.
Old March 23 2013, 08:18 PM   #154
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Season 6

6x1-Redemption pt.1: So this issue starts by me realizing that Daniel is dead and that was the plan? Not a gimmick, Shanks wanted out as it seems Jonas Quinn is meant to be his replacement. Quinn has been holed up the past 3 months since Daniel's death and his own exile studying up on all of Jackson's work making him a defacto expert on nearly all that Daniel was.
Meanwhile Master Bra'tec arrives with tragic news for Teal'C regarding his wife, she's dying. Teal'C and Bra'tec depart. Not long after they do Aphophis begins an attack on the SGC with a new weapon meant to supercharge the Naqua'dah and blow up the Gate. The fallout would poison the Earth and be catastrophic.
Also, the Air Force has built an all new prototype based on Gou'ad glider designs. In tow as well are the Russians with General Chekov showing up to voice displeasure on how the mutual agreement about SGC activities hasn't been going as he sees it.
Teal'C's son blames him for what has happened to his mother and seeks combat with his father. This is interrupted by Bra'tec, they've also gotten a visitor Jaffa that has found out about the Apophis attack on Earth and come to tell Bra'tac. Just so happens Teal'c is there.
Apophis shows up in a holographic projection all cloaked and pronounces the DOOM that is coming. I wonder why he was cloaked? Could they not get the actor?

6x2-Redemption pt.2: With Earth in deep threat mode Sam's ole intellectual combatant in Dr.McKay as come into the SGC to see if he can help. I don't know why, his first choice always seems to be one of least risk, not best chance. Teal'C, Bra'tec and Ry'ac along with some others attempt to find Apophis' base of operations and stop it. Teal'C does not want Ry'ac to go but is persuaded to allow him.
Back at the SGC the energy build up of the Stargate continues. It's deemed an EMP pulse back through the gate might work, doing so only speeds up the rate at which the energy coming in will build. They have to open the iris for this and the iris is what's been slowing the build up. This is Dr.McKay's idea and it of course fails, but in doing so knocks Sam out when an overload occurs.
It's then decided that in the new Air Force designed Glider they will fly the Gate out of Earth's atmosphere with O'Neill piloting.
Thing so badly for Teal'C and Bra'tec as they are captured. However, Ry'ac was left behind due to being injured in the initial surge. He's not critical and his symbiote will heal him.
A risky move has O'Neill open up a brief wormhole to eject the Gate into in order to save the Earth. If he hadn't it would've exploded as while Teal'C, Bra'tec and Ry'ac did manage to blow up Apophis' device it wouldn't have been in time.
We essentially buy the 2nd Stargate off the Russians while also giving the plans to future Earth adapted Glider jets. They also want to place a Russian member or team into the SGC program, specifically SG-1. O'Neill objects telling Hammond he has his new man....Jonas Quinn.

Ok so lets see where this goes. I can tell that Quinn is the new defacto Daniel but it'll be weird seeing him get the same questions they would've asked Daniel. Daniel spent his life becoming an expert on what he knew. I just don't buy how in 3 months of isolated study Quinn is now a defacto expert but I'm going with it. No judgement yet on his character. Although I do know at some point Shanks comes back. I've seen the box art on other DVD sets. I'm not going to look into it, cause I may spoil something. I'll just ride it out with Quinn till then.

A good season opener though I thought. Also Dexter Season 7 was awesome!
Old March 24 2013, 01:52 AM   #155
The Wormhole
Admiral

Apophis shows up in a holographic projection all cloaked and pronounces the DOOM that is coming. I wonder why he was cloaked? Could they not get the actor?
Simply put, that's not Apophis, it's Anubis, who was introduced in the season 5 premiere. The deal with the cloak will be explained later on in the season.

Jonas being an expert on all of Daniel's notes being unrelaistic is frequently lampshaded throughout the season, so I don't mind it too much.

Shanks indeed wanted to leave the show to try and get a movie career going and had even auditioned for Shinzon in Star Trek Nemesis.

Redemption two parter is pretty good, at times almost movie-like. The stuff with Teal'c mourning his wife and reuniting with his son is some of the best character stuff done in the series.

Actor spotting: the Jaffa who interrogated Teal'c after he's captured is Aaron Douglas, Chief Tyrol on BSG.
Old March 24 2013, 04:19 PM   #156
AJ86
Captain

Jonas has a different physiology to most humans. He can absorb information much faster. This was mentioned in the first episode we saw him in.
Old March 25 2013, 04:40 PM   #157
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

AJ86 wrote: View Post
Jonas has a different physiology to most humans. He can absorb information much faster. This was mentioned in the first episode we saw him in.
Right, it's still kinda the McGuffin in his set up. Especially now that I know Jackson is gone. I was fully thinking Daniel would turn up at the start.

I'm going to roll with it, not dissing, just commenting on the very obvious nature of it all.
Old March 26 2013, 01:40 AM   #158
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

5x3-Ascension: As a fan of the Young Indy Chronicles it was nice to see Sean Patrick Flannery with a key role. Also, the alum from ST:TNG continues as John DeLancie shows up as a mysterious Colonel taking orders from unseen places. SPF is an alien who as ascended beyond the physical plane but he reveals he's an exile of his kind for using his powers to interfere with other less evolved races. He's fallen in love with Carter and retakes physical form thus giving up his powers. I'd like to think his character might come back, maybe even his race. The Ancients are clearly not the only powerful aliens out there but this races "Prime Directive" makes it less likely they'll help vs the Gou'ald and other threats. I liked the casting here more than the actual story so I grade it on a curve as above average.
Did you mean the Asgard when you refer to the Ancients or where you referring to the actual Ancients who built the gate system? I only ask because you seem to have been referring to the Asgards as the Ancients for the past couple pages and its usually obvious that you mean the Asgard but here its more ambiguous.

Also this guys race has already appeared in a previous episode care to guess which one?
Old March 26 2013, 01:45 AM   #159
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

4x10-Point of No Return: What I liked here was it turned the idea of this rather predictable plot on it's head a bit. Martin is actually an alien whose forgotten the finer points of that. He's also a deserter from a civil war along with some fellow escapees. Apparently during their crash though Martin was injured in a way that he suffered some amnesia and couldn't be kept with his fellow escapees. That part seemed to allude an answer imo, why couldn't they keep him with them? We found out virtually nothing about them. They didn't seem to respond to the revelation of Teal'c being a Gou'ald, they just noticed he wasn't human also. So a race capable of interstellar flight, not aware of the Gou'ald? Interesting?
Martin didnt get amnesia form the crash. He felt guilty about deserting his people and wanted to go back. The others were scared of the consequences if he did succeed in going home so started administering regular doses of amnesia pills. They had to maintain their distance in case their familiar faces triggered his proper memories to return
Old March 26 2013, 02:08 PM   #160
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
Did you mean the Asgard when you refer to the Ancients
Old March 26 2013, 04:14 PM   #161
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

@Merlanthe-My commentary on 5x3 was that so far the Ancients are most powerful race mentioned. The Asgards are the most powerful with which we've been allied.
The humanoid race that is transcending to a higher plane though has a very strict Prime Directive for a non-coporeal race(who at once were coporeal since that character chose to "step down" to that plane and give up his powers.

Now I did in a later episode write up switch the two up Ancients and Asgards but I went back and edited that post.
Ancients, Asgards, Apophis, Anubis---got to keep all the "A" characters straight.

Thanks for the spoiler code Lindley, I'm guessing that's a response to help answer something else in the thread that I shouldn't read yet.

6x3-Descent: Or what I'd like to think should be subtitled "The Return of Thor pt.1". So the Gou'ald mothership of Anubis that Thor had been tortured on and patched into it's systems has appeared in Earth orbit(although they don't know this right away). It seems Thor's conscience has taken control of the ship. Anubis had to flee the ship but set it to self destruct which Thor stopped and then redirected himself to Earth(although I have to wonder why not back to the Asgard fleet? Busy with Replicators?) The surprise is that despite having scanned the ship for lifesigns and found none Anubis left some Jaffa aboard to make sure the ship detonated. They were in Kel'nor Re(is that close? the deep sleep) which is why the sensors didn't detect them.

The Jaffa are able to direct the ship into Earth's orbit where it crashes into the Arctic Ocean. SG-1 is trapped with the Gou'ald mothership starting to fill with water. It's about now that they connect the dots and realize Thor is in control of the ship. They seek to retrieve his conscience from the computer and see about "downloading" him into a new cloned body. The team escapes in some gliders. I really liked this episode. Jonas is stil trying to fit in and his gimmick it seems, for this episode, is that goof grin of doing something for the first time.

6x4-Frozen: It's funny enough that the episode had an X-Files vibe to it with the "trapped in the ice contagion in the Arctic" but then it has actor Bruce Harwood of X-Files famed Lone Gunmen in it. That couldn't have been a coincidence could it? Then I see our guest doctor Francine Michaels and realize she looks very familiar but I can't place her. So when I IMDB her after the episode it's Venus Terzo who I know from voice work as Blackarachnia in Transformers Beast Wars(and met at BotCon 2002) and Jean Grey in X-Men shows among others.

My enjoyment with casting aside the episode throws the placement of humans on Earth into quite a topsy turvy situation when a humanoid is found buried in the ice, essentially in a state of suspension. She can't communicate directly but her unthawing unleashes some type of fast acting virus akin to Meningitis according to Dr.Frasier. Our new friend, Ayana, seems to realize she is the cause of this and realizing the kindness they dealt her does so in return. Apparently she can heal our infected SG-1 and research team. Doing so causes her harm though. Carter, Michaels and Frasier are all trying to hypothesize the ramifications of who she is, how seemingly human and yet 50 million years old and bouncing around the Antarctic when it was part of Pangea!! The big question this raises is, as stated by Carter, we had thought all the human-esque races we've been meeting were all there cause they were displaced humans from Earth via the Gou'ald and the Stargate. Ayana, however, might mean that humans ON Earth are not native! O'Neill says Darwin would be crused. She ends up dying while saving everyone....except Col. O'Neill who is in dire shape. The Tok'ra offer him a chance to join with them, which he refuses. However, he's taken anyway at episodes end anyway.
So it's a giant ass cliffhanger without actually saying "To Be Continued".

The one question I would still have about the "where did humans come from" then would be: What about Neanderthals? Is this why no definitive "missing link" has surfaced? Where Neanderthals then the native species on the planet that transplanted humans then killed out? Even still Neanderthals were pretty close to "humans" if "humans" were indeed alien? We are seeing variations in "human"(humanoid or humanesque) physiology. Are those do to environmental factors? Someone playing us like lab rats and altering DNA and dropping us like test tubes around the galaxy? All same starting point but different points along the evolutionary ladder? Afterall Jackson seemed to transcend like that one race?

All 4 episodes on this first disc of Season 6, first one on Sci-Fi channel were great imo!! Great start!!
Old March 26 2013, 05:26 PM   #162
Merlanthe
Lieutenant Commander

@Merlanthe-My commentary on 5x3 was that so far the Ancients are most powerful race mentioned. The Asgards are the most powerful with which we've been allied.
The humanoid race that is transcending to a higher plane though has a very strict Prime Directive for a non-coporeal race(who at once were coporeal since that character chose to "step down" to that plane and give up his powers.

Now I did in a later episode write up switch the two up Ancients and Asgards but I went back and edited that post.
Ancients, Asgards, Apophis, Anubis---got to keep all the "A" characters straight.

Thanks for the spoiler code Lindley, I'm guessing that's a response to help answer something else in the thread that I shouldn't read yet.
So you meant Ancients not Asgard. Thanks for clearing that up though in your commentary for 5x1 (same post as 5x3) you refer to the 'robotic spiders that the Ancients fear so much'. I assume you meant Asgard there which is why i was confused about which race you meant in your commentary for 5x3 (my fave episode yaay) and also why i said youd been referring to Asgard as Ancients for the last couple pages.

I did read this thread all in one late at night so the 2 instances of refering to Asgard as Ancients probably multiplied in my sleep deprived mind sorry

Also no you definitely shouldnt read what Lindley put as its a spoiler that serves no purpose other than to state the obvious to anyone who has already seen the series in its entiriety. I assume since Lindley felt the need to remind of this that he thought my post was somehow spoilerish even though it isnt.
Old March 26 2013, 06:15 PM   #163
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Yours was not, but these threads have a tendency to accidentally stray into spoiler territory if they even get close to the line. I was trying to preempt that.
Old March 26 2013, 07:52 PM   #164
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Yea, it's really easy when one person talks about "the thing they did when they did that thing", and then other folks start providing details that turn into spoilers

Always good ideda for someone to pull it back before it crosses the line.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old March 27 2013, 07:47 PM   #165
The Wormhole
Admiral

All 4 episodes on this first disc of Season 6, first one on Sci-Fi channel were great imo!! Great start!!
You ain't seen nothing yet. The first half of season 6 has some amazing episodes, possibly some of the best of Stargate.