Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old March 14 2013, 03:28 PM   #76
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

I'm really bummed to see Amendola show up.
Old March 14 2013, 03:36 PM   #77
Timby
I AM the League of Mallows...

Sheep wrote: View Post
Did Flacco's elite contract completely screw up the Ravens that much? I thought you were supposed to blow up losing teams, not Super Bowl champions.
It isn't the Flacco deal. Ozzie Newsome is no fool, and he's a long-term, big-picture kind of GM. He wasn't going to completely fuck the team's salary cap for several years in some misguided hope of a repeat. It made sense to dump Boldin once he wouldn't renegotiate his deal, for example. The big stunner was losing Ellerbe.

In any event, I guarantee you that their draft is going to be very defensively focused.
Old March 14 2013, 08:34 PM   #78
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Sheep wrote: View Post
Did Flacco's elite contract completely screw up the Ravens that much? I thought you were supposed to blow up losing teams, not Super Bowl champions.
It isn't the Flacco deal. Ozzie Newsome is no fool, and he's a long-term, big-picture kind of GM. He wasn't going to completely fuck the team's salary cap for several years in some misguided hope of a repeat. It made sense to dump Boldin once he wouldn't renegotiate his deal, for example. The big stunner was losing Ellerbe.

In any event, I guarantee you that their draft is going to be very defensively focused.
Got it. I can't say I follow the inner workings of many teams beyond the Bears so I figured the Ravens would be doing what most teams would do in this situation and do everything they can to repeat as champions. Definitely wiser to look at the big picture and not completely screw yourself over long-term by giving huge short-term salaries but it's amazing how so few teams do that.
Old March 14 2013, 09:32 PM   #79
Timby

Yeah, Newsome is on the record as saying that he won't repeat 2001, which is when the Ravens spent like drunken fools in a vain short-term effort to repeat as champions. The entire goal this offseason has been to 1) lock down Flacco, and 2) start rebuilding the defense, which everyone knew was going to be shredded due to free agency and retirement.
Old March 14 2013, 10:15 PM   #80
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Well, he's no Welker, but he'll play his heart out for you. I like Amendola, and I think you will too in time, assuming he can stay on the field.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old March 14 2013, 11:20 PM   #81
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Just shove a rusty car antennae up my dickhole.
Interestingly enough, reports are that this is more or less what Tom Brady is saying as well.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old March 15 2013, 01:19 AM   #82
Timby

1001001 wrote: View Post
Well, he's no Welker, but he'll play his heart out for you. I like Amendola, and I think you will too in time, assuming he can stay on the field.
Yeah, that's the problem ... dude's missed like 20 games the last two years, hasn't he?
Old March 15 2013, 01:33 AM   #83
Skywalker
Admiral

To be fair, Welker suffered what would have been a season-ending injury, too, when he shredded his knee a couple of years ago. He just had the good fortune (if you can call it that) to suffer it during the last game of the season, so he ended up not missing any time.
Old March 15 2013, 01:52 AM   #84
Timby

Yeah, but Amendola has two consecutive years of pretty severe injury issues. That's a huge warning sign.
Old March 15 2013, 04:56 AM   #85
Skywalker
Admiral

Of course it is, but it's not like we're talking about Bob Sanders, here. He's missed 23 games since 2009 compared to Welker's 3, but he's also five years younger than Welker and has never had a devastating knee injury. Welker clearly has a better record when it comes to durability, but Amendola's injuries (the ones I'm aware of) have all seemed like pretty freak things, like the clavicle that almost pierced his aorta.

I don't think Amendola's going to come into Foxboro and put up the same numbers Welker did, but I don't think this is some awful signing, either.

EDIT: Oh, and check this out: evidently Amendola signed with the Patriots before Welker did with the Broncos. So apparently this wasn't just some reaction signing by New England; considering the deal they offered him and the one they offered Welker, it looks like they wanted Amendola more, for some reason.
Old March 15 2013, 05:42 AM   #86
Timby

Skywalker wrote: View Post
EDIT: Oh, and check this out: evidently Amendola signed with the Patriots before Welker did with the Broncos. So apparently this wasn't just some reaction signing by New England; considering the deal they offered him and the one they offered Welker, it looks like they wanted Amendola more, for some reason.
As I said, this entire situation basically confirms the rumors that Welker and Belichick weren't getting along anymore.
Old March 15 2013, 10:37 AM   #87
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Just shove a rusty car antennae up my dickhole.
Interestingly enough, reports are that this is more or less what Tom Brady is saying as well.
I'm 5'9", undersized, white, and in my early 30s, and have spent time in Gillette, maybe I should try out.
Old March 15 2013, 10:55 AM   #88
Skywalker
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
As I said, this entire situation basically confirms the rumors that Welker and Belichick weren't getting along anymore.
It certainly looks that way.

Oh well. I'm not expecting Amendola to do what Welker did, but to be honest, I never expected Welker to do what he did when he came over from Miami.

In other Patriots-related news, they're currently hosting both John Abraham and Adrian Wilson. I think Wilson would especially be a good pick-up for them, he and McCourty would make a pretty good safety tandem.
Old March 15 2013, 03:24 PM   #89

Yeah, but Amendola has two consecutive years of pretty severe injury issues. That's a huge warning sign.
A broken collarbone and a weird elbow injury.

The knees are good.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old March 15 2013, 04:01 PM   #90

I forgot to add:

I know the NFL is a business, and loyalty to a team or a player is not very important anymore. Still there are some things you just wish were different, not from a business standpoint, but an emotional one.

My sincere gratitude and best wishes to Steven Jackson, who signed with the Falcons yesterday.

Jackson is one of my all-time favorite Rams, and as fan I'm very sad to see him go. He has been a consummate professional. He plays hard every down, and put together an pretty incredible streak of 8 1,000+ yard seasons in a row, on teams that were mostly awful. That includes a 1400 yard season on 1-15 team.

Fisher is definitely putting his stamp on the team, and youth is the key, for better or worse. The Rams are the youngest team in the NFL, and so far have done almost nothing in free agency. First Amendola, now Jackson. Jeff, I hope you know what you're doing!!!

Anyway, Jackson is a class act, and I will miss him. Thanks for all the great effort, Steven.

Closed Thread