Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 16 2013, 04:14 AM   #76
throwback
Captain

Re: ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

I will need to review the episode later tonight. My memory of the shooting is that the gun was fired from the passenger side. I, also, remember that Holmes identified the gun as an AP-15. This is a carbine rifle. In this video, the shooter is using both hands to use the rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPDuzmYXRJY

Maybe I am not able to conceptualize this, but I can't see how a person can simultaneous fire a rifle and drive a car perfectly straight in a lane.

And, I love how Detective Bell's car manage to find the one construction zone with a ramp so that the car could execute a perfect stuntcar crash.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 04:23 AM   #77
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Your mother never used to drive with her knees while applying make up, when she'd take you to school?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 05:02 AM   #78
Christopher
Writer

throwback wrote: View Post
I will need to review the episode later tonight. My memory of the shooting is that the gun was fired from the passenger side. I, also, remember that Holmes identified the gun as an AP-15. This is a carbine rifle. In this video, the shooter is using both hands to use the rifle.
Well, maybe they got their research wrong; it would hardly be the first time in the history of television. But Holmes did definitely say the gun could be fired one-handed, so the intent of the writers was that there was only one person in the car, even if the details don't mesh with reality.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 05:29 AM   #79
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They also said several times the the gun had been modified.

A soldier of fortune magazine, a file and 30 minutes can do wonders.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 09:34 AM   #80
kNkg
Lieutenant Commander

It was a MP5 not AP-15.
kNkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 10:21 AM   #81
throwback
Captain

I watched the episode. There is one person in the car.

A MP5 in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZaIX6LccTg

A MP5 being fired with one hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8jHFH1PAXo
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 08:13 PM   #82
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
So Irene will be played by Snookie?
I just started watching ELEMENTARY this season, and what I have seen so far is very good and enjoyable.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 09:02 PM   #83
sojourner
Admiral

^You didn't miss much in the previous season.
Old February 17 2013, 08:14 AM   #84
Saul
Rear Admiral

That last episode was set up in a way where I could figure out who did it early on.

Why didn't Holmes explore that first which would have taken the audience off that lead. tut tut.
Old February 17 2013, 06:20 PM   #85
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
What worries me was that line from Sherlock about not quite being sure why Watson made him better, and how he might solve that mystery in time -- followed by an uneasy look between them. That felt uncomfortably like an Unresolved Sexual Tension beat. I really hope they don't go there.
I did not read that line that way at all. Rather, I was reminded of this passage from The Hound of the Baskervilles:
"I am bound to say that in all the accounts which you have been so good as to give of my own small achievements you have habitually underrated your own abilities. It may be that you are not yourself luminous, but you are a conductor of light. Some people without possessing genius have a remarkable power of stimulating it. I confess, my dear fellow, that I am very much in your debt."
I think Holmes, at this point in his relationship with Watson, is beginning to recognize that she is his conductor of light but it's still so early that he can't put it into words.

That's how I read the scene, anyway.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 06:58 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer

^I hope you're right. On another BBS I'm on, a couple of the regulars are talking about a Holmes-Watson romance as if it's inevitable -- somehow forgetting all the shows out there, including several other CBS series, where the male and female leads have platonic relationships.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 07:08 PM   #87
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I also didn't pick up on any romance or sexual tension in the scene. I interpreted their awkward glance at the end of the conversation as a result of Sherlock's reluctance to emotionally connect with others. It's like he wants to say "I care about you" but just doesn't know how. I thought it was telling that he was only able to express himself to Watson when her back was turned. As soon as she turned around, he looked away uncomfortably.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2013, 09:00 PM   #88
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I hope you're right. On another BBS I'm on, a couple of the regulars are talking about a Holmes-Watson romance as if it's inevitable -- somehow forgetting all the shows out there, including several other CBS series, where the male and female leads have platonic relationships.
The problem with calling a Holmes/Watson romance "inevitable" is that it's pretty clear by now that Watson isn't Holmes' "type." She doesn't strike me as someone who would be into the rough, kinky sex that Holmes enjoys, and he's direct with women he finds attractive. Judging by the evidence we've had thus far, Holmes wants nothing more than a professional relationship with Watson.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 10:21 PM   #89
lurok
Commodore

Been binge-watching this while on the road and just got to the M ep 12 (Vinnie Jones? wha? ). Plots are predictable but I love how unpretentious it is: no artsy directing gimmicks or narrative tricks. Just great acting and dialogue and nice use of NY locations. Looking forward to second half of first season. Dying to know who Moriarty is and when appears. Would be nice touch if made female. I adore the old Billy Wilder Private Life Of SH movie which, if remember correctly, had a female antagonist?
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 01:10 AM   #90
davejames
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The problem with calling a Holmes/Watson romance "inevitable" is that it's pretty clear by now that Watson isn't Holmes' "type." She doesn't strike me as someone who would be into the rough, kinky sex that Holmes enjoys, and he's direct with women he finds attractive. Judging by the evidence we've had thus far, Holmes wants nothing more than a professional relationship with Watson.
I can sense a hint of physical attraction between the two (with Lucy it would be hard not to), but I agree they don't seem like they'd be that great a couple, and I have no interest whatsoever in seeing them together.

And I have to say I'm kinda surprised at the recent change from Watson being Sherlock's sober companion to now being a "junior detective." Clearly it was in the plans all along, but it does seem like a pretty big shift in the show's concept.

Although I have to admit, it is nice seeing her take some actual joy and enthusiasm in the work now, instead of being so dour all the time like before.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote