Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 14 2013, 11:50 PM   #31
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: What would a TOS spin off look like

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Again, besides the Enterprise sling-shotting back to the 1960's, they had Gary himself ride in on a beam that's probably capable of time travel. They said so.
Well, to be clear, Scotty offered a theory that the beam "could've brought him back through time," but he was simply guessing--probably due to another advanced being (other than themselves) suddenly appearing at the same point in old earth history, when he assumed (due to a lack of knowledge) that no humans time travelled in the 20th century. Taking all into consideration, I do not believe the script suggested time travel was any true ability of Gary Seven (or his commanders).
Old March 14 2013, 11:50 PM   #32
Harvey
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
In fact, the series pitch document called it "Have Gun -- Will Travel 1968," a reference to the Western that Roddenberry had been story editor for years earlier
Roddenberry liked to claim that he had been the "head writer" of that Western series, but in actuality he was just a freelancer (albeit a prolific one, penning 24 episodes of the program).

(Because the internet is for being picky over trivial details)

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 12:22 AM   #33
xortex
Commodore

Time trek. He and his nemesis are capable of time travelling and therefore know the future and past but you never see it on screen like Voyagers did - it all takes place on contemporary Earth. Q was in effect also a time traveler as was the Traveler in TNG itself, with Wesley playing the part of Roberts Linclon. I liked the music but I had the intro pegged as 'I've faced villians from across the galaxy and mind boggling alien technologies and killer robotic weapons from other dimensions, but you Ms. Lincoln are another matter.' Or something like that.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 01:04 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

Harvey wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
In fact, the series pitch document called it "Have Gun -- Will Travel 1968," a reference to the Western that Roddenberry had been story editor for years earlier
Roddenberry liked to claim that he had been the "head writer" of that Western series, but in actuality he was just a freelancer (albeit a prolific one, penning 24 episodes of the program).
Thanks for the correction. Still, he was tied with Shimon Wincelberg as the most prolific writer for the show, apparently, so while "head writer" is an exaggeration, there is some basis in truth for it. Anyway, it's the one series he worked on the most prior to creating his own, so it was influential on his later work, and evidently it inspired him in creating Gary Seven. (Or maybe he just thought it was a good idea to pitch the show to networks by reminding the executives of a successful show he'd been associated with.)

Indeed, talk about trivial details: HGWT is the one show that Roddenberry has the most actual writing credits for period, even more than Star Trek. Of course GR did uncredited rewrites on all the first- and second-season TOS scripts and at least the first-season TNG scripts, but he only has onscreen writing credit for 12 TOS and 3 TNG episodes. That's surprising.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 01:52 AM   #35
MarsWeeps
Captain

I would've liked to see an Assignment: Earth series.

Another idea would have been to use the Guardian of Forever as a time travel based show.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 02:19 AM   #36
mos6507
Captain

There was a comment in one of the Youtube clips that Kaley Cuoco from Big Bang Theory should be Lincoln, and I think that would work really well. These days the semi-sitcom idea that Gene was flirting with might actually work better with today's audiences. I know it will never happen, but it's fun to speculate. It is just one of the few loose ends in the Trek universe that is just sitting there waiting to be picked up again.
Old March 15 2013, 03:01 AM   #37
Christopher
Writer

mos6507 wrote: View Post
These days the semi-sitcom idea that Gene was flirting with might actually work better with today's audiences.
Oh, it could've worked as a sitcom at the time, in theory; there were plenty of '60s sitcoms about strangers in a strange land with superhuman abilities, like My Favorite Martian and Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. And there were spy and crimefighter sitcoms like Get Smart and Batman too. So potentially an Assignment: Earth sitcom could've fit right into the '60s TV landscape. It's just that this particular pilot script was really bad.

Old March 15 2013, 04:47 AM   #38
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Again, besides the Enterprise sling-shotting back to the 1960's, they had Gary himself ride in on a beam that's probably capable of time travel. They said so.
Well, to be clear, Scotty offered a theory that the beam "could've brought him back through time," but he was simply guessing--probably due to another advanced being (other than themselves) suddenly appearing at the same point in old earth history, when he assumed (due to a lack of knowledge) that no humans time travelled in the 20th century. Taking all into consideration, I do not believe the script suggested time travel was any true ability of Gary Seven (or his commanders).
I disagree. I believe we have to interpret the line in the context of a backdoor pilot. "Could have brought him back through time" equals "we're going to leave our options open for time travel episodes on our spin-off". It doesn't mean that it will be used that way, but rather really to make it clear that Gary can pull literally anything out of his hat that the Enterprise can do, time travel included. Otherwise, why even feed us the "theory" in the first place.
Old March 15 2013, 02:48 PM   #39
Christopher
Writer

^As I've said repeatedly, of course it was possible that the show would've occasionally done time travel stories. I never denied that. But that's a totally different conversation from whether it's valid to equate A:E with Doctor Who -- which it isn't. Most SF shows dabble in time travel occasionally, but that doesn't make them fundamentally about time travel the way DW is.

Old March 15 2013, 03:43 PM   #40
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

It doesn't mean that it will be used that way, but rather really to make it clear that Gary can pull literally anything out of his hat that the Enterprise can do, time travel included. Otherwise, why even feed us the "theory" in the first place.
To add mystery and tension to the character early in the episode. If Gary Seven revealed everything up front, the story loses the element of intrigue and character development. "Space Seed" works in a similar fashion; Khan's true identity is only theory in the first act--nothing confirmed, so it adds mystery to a character who was compelling, but the full story was not revealed.

In G7's case, the early dialogue--from Spock's history notes & Scotty's theory to G7's vague replies about his mission were the mystery/threat set up for the audience. We do not really know much until he explains himself to Roberta late in the story, but at that point, it remains clear that time travel is not one of his skills, despite his recognition of the Enterprise being from the future. That last bit just as easily can imply G7's commanders have met other time travellers, but not necessarily have the technology to do the same.
Old March 15 2013, 03:52 PM   #41
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

That last bit just as easily can imply G7's commanders have met other time travellers, but not necessarily have the technology to do the same.
And yet, they just happen to have a transporter that is zillions of times more powerful than Enterprise technology, and they can hide planets from the Federation in the 23rd century. Maybe they're just borrowing all that from the aliens next door, too.
Old March 15 2013, 04:09 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

^The tie-ins, beginning with a Howard Weinstein comics story for DC that was built upon in later novels by Greg Cox and myself, have established Gary Seven's employers as a group called the Aegis. Howie's comics story evidently drew on elements of the original '66 pilot version of A:E and explained the Aegis as a group that worked to preserve the integrity of the timeline, working against other factions trying to alter history -- thereby anticipating Enterprise's Temporal Cold War by a full decade. (Which enabled me to include the Aegis as one of the TCW factions in my own DTI: Watching the Clock.)

And Howie's interpretation makes sense. How else would the Aegis have known that the late 1960s were a crucial period for Earth's survival unless they had the ability to project possible futures? Plus it was necessary to return to the time-travel well in order to cross over Gary with the Enterprise crew again in Howie's comics and Greg's Assignment: Eternity.

But I remain convinced that time travel would've been only an occasional element of the A:E spinoff if it had been made, and it would've been interesting to see more stories about Gary and Roberta dealing with contemporary threats in the '60s and maybe the '70s -- as we've seen them do in other tie-ins like Greg's The Eugenics Wars duology and John Byrne's A:E comics miniseries.

Old March 15 2013, 06:06 PM   #43
xortex
Commodore

It doesn't mean that it will be used that way, but rather really to make it clear that Gary can pull literally anything out of his hat that the Enterprise can do, time travel included. Otherwise, why even feed us the "theory" in the first place.
To add mystery and tension to the character early in the episode. If Gary Seven revealed everything up front, the story loses the element of intrigue and character development. "Space Seed" works in a similar fashion; Khan's true identity is only theory in the first act--nothing confirmed, so it adds mystery to a character who was compelling, but the full story was not revealed.

In G7's case, the early dialogue--from Spock's history notes & Scotty's theory to G7's vague replies about his mission were the mystery/threat set up for the audience. We do not really know much until he explains himself to Roberta late in the story, but at that point, it remains clear that time travel is not one of his skills, despite his recognition of the Enterprise being from the future. That last bit just as easily can imply G7's commanders have met other time travellers, but not necessarily have the technology to do the same.

Yea, but it didn't not suggest it. He could have been lying at the time just like Spock did from time to time. Changing the past could also have disastrous effects much worse than the benefits of the time changes even like we saw in that Voyager episode with Braxton where he and Janeway wound up on Earth in the 20th century and the galaxy was destroyed in the future because of Braxton or Janeway. That was the one with the Bill Gates type - Starling. So there is always three sides to every equation and story at least but it could still all have taken place in one single contemporary setting of the future or the past for that matter because it wasn't about time travel like 'Voyagers' was but about time travelers in the present, the future or the past depending on what they decide, to save money on cost.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 06:47 PM   #44
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

I saw Assignment Earth long before I saw Dr. Who. I never really made the connection between the two until now. Further, just based on the episode, I always thought Gary 7 had traveled in time. As a kid I assumed Gary was from the 20th Century, recruited and educated by an advanced society in the future, then sent back in time to his 20th Century to carry out his assignment. As stated, the lines of dialogue always made me believe this. I mean, how else would he know that the planet he was on would be unknown to 23rd Century Starfleet? Either future time travelers came back with such information, oor else he had spent time in the future.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 06:59 PM   #45
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

Quite simply, I would rather have seen Star Trek remade with new actors in the roles of our friends from TOS, charting adventures from beyond the original 5 year mission, but before the advent of the movies, the benefits of new CGI and technology to this premise would be breathtaking.
I loved Enterprise because it looked so good on screen in a way that TNG, Deep Space or Voyager never looked IMO, because of technological advances, however it made TOS look way too old and dated, so the oppurtunity was missed to reboot Kirk and Co, and missed in the sense that we could have seen the crew revisit and enhance some rivalries with the Andorrians or Tholians for example.
Would it not have been better that Kirks crew fought for superiority with these species rather than Jonathon Archers crew, and thus timelines and canon would not have been fucked with.
I know someone will come back with JJ Abrams version of Trek doing a similar thing to what I`m trying to outline, but I never rated his version of Star Trek nor his choice of cast, except for the new Spock, and I feel he has went against the grain with some of the story in the first film.
I hope you can make sense of what I`m trying to say.
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote