Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 11 2013, 11:35 PM   #1
James T. Vader
Lieutenant

Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

I watched his documentary he made, and one thing struck me was that Majel basically had nothing to say to him. He admitted to being a spoiled punk and didn't get along with his father and now 2 decades later has decided to cash in his father's creation.

He was in a rountable a while back with Brannon Braga and others and i heard he's doing a TOS re-watch podcast on The Nerdist Network.

He really comes across as smarmy and just in it for the fact that he's Star Trek Jr. Kind of like Jett Lucas coming out in 15 years and being Mr. Star Wars.
James T. Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 11:41 PM   #2
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Is Rod Roddenberry kind of a douche?

I could only choke down half of that documentary. Way too repetitive with the endless "oh wow, my dad meant something" moments. However I don't think you can declare someone is a douche just because they cashed in on a parent's legacy.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Bumbles861
Admiral

I don't know if he is a douche or not - but Trek Nation is best taken in small doses until the entire medication is complete.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 01:00 AM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

I've never seen Trek Nation, but based on what I do know about Rod Roddenberry, he does not come off as a douche. Aside from Trek Nation, he doesn't really try too cash in on Trek. In fact he's usually very reserved in Trek-related matters. I suspect that he was approached and convinced to do the interviews he's done for the TOS DVDs and TNG blu-rays, rather than seek to do this on his own.

Sorry, Star Trek has its devils, both currently and in the past, but Rod Roddenberry isn't one of them.
Old March 12 2013, 01:59 AM   #5
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I can't say if he's a douche or not, I don't know the guy. But his silly Trek documentary did seem like a grab at fame. He didn't like/know his dad and he decides the best way to get to know him is through a documentary about something he made? Why not talk to his friends/family rather than do interviews with actors and stuff.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 02:02 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Total douche.
Old March 12 2013, 03:59 AM   #7
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I can't judge him as a person 'cause I don't know him. But I do know that I don't really care to see or hear him.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Gary7
Rear Admiral

It's hard to know a person by their media face... but most people tend to care about what gets exposed to the media, so they tend to pick and choose the best. If someone comes off as a douche based on what they've produced, in all likelihood they're even worse in person.

Based on what I've seen Rod produce, he comes off as a trust fund baby who couldn't figure out what he wanted to do, so he's riding on his father's coat tails. He has no imagination and I have no respect for him exaggerating details about his father, both positive and negative. The "old" Star Trek is a dying franchise and Rod will be left watching it fade into the sunset, probably ending up writing ridiculous memoirs that rewrite Star Trek history.
Old March 14 2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

James T. Vader wrote: View Post
I watched his documentary he made, and one thing struck me was that Majel basically had nothing to say to him. He admitted to being a spoiled punk and didn't get along with his father...
What 16-year-old boy does? And suddenly... Gene was gone!

I was a dinner guest at the Roddenberry mansion in December 1991, only a few months after Gene's passing. Rod turned up for dinner - looking like a typical, longhaired, 16-year-old, LA skater dude, which he was. He was polite and friendly and had normal table manners. He chatted a bit about his studies and told his Mom and grandmother what he'd been up to. Majel had a long-standing rule that "Star Trek" is not mentioned in the house, beyond the door of Gene's home office, so even I was warned beforehand not to raise the subject.

As far as 16-year-old Hollywood teens go, he was no douche. I've certainly known some awful ones and most of them have grown up okay.

I chatted with him a few times via Facebook; he seems more absorbed about diving than ST.

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
He didn't like/know his dad...
Any worse than any kid who loses a career-minded, creative Dad when he's only 16?

And, in the late 70s, he got dragged around to enough ST conventions as a toddler to set it aside as "something Mom & Dad do".

Gary7 wrote: View Post
The "old" Star Trek is a dying franchise and Rod will be left watching it fade into the sunset...
Huh? He and Majel were very complimentary about JJ's first ST movie. Not sure where you're getting the impression that Rod is clinging to the "old" franchise.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 11:17 AM   #10
mos6507
Captain

I think the problem I have with Rod is that he presents himself as though he has some sort of Hollywood street-cred and he doesn't. I don't think he's written or produced anything. I think if he wants to follow in his father's footsteps, by all means, but he has to put some work into it. But his main source of money seems to be from selling prop recreations. While his dad was not unknown for merchandising, and Majel ran Lincoln Enterprises, Gene certainly was a capable writer who managed to navigate through Hollywood and get things done, and Rod isn't. And so I just don't take him seriously. I don't know what he has to offer the world of science-fiction other than some anecdotes from his childhood.
Old March 14 2013, 11:22 AM   #11
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I don't know the guy and I can't judge him, but I judge him anyway.
Old March 14 2013, 01:03 PM   #12
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The brotherhood of the internet

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Forbin
Admiral

Big. Fizzy. Douche.

No, I really don't know (or care), I just like saying "big fizzy douche" after I heard it on 2 1/2 men.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 02:01 PM   #14
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The brotherhood of the internet
And I was barely aware he even existed before clicking on the thread.
Old March 14 2013, 05:07 PM   #15
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I don't know if he is or not, nor do I care. But, Majel's rule of "no Star Trek talk in the house" has me wondering about HER.

What the hell kind of rule is THAT??

But then, what else to to be expected from the woman who voluntarily played Luxwana Troi??
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote