The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old February 9 2013, 11:54 PM   #136
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV?

Disney makes more money off DVDs of their movies by creating artificial demand for them via the vaulting BS. Netflix doesn't operate via artificial scarcity, as least not willingly. It's studios like HBO et al that hold back on streaming rights. Why else should The Sopranos not be on Netflix streaming at this late date? Is HBO still making any significant money off the DVDs?

Netflix can't pull that artificial scarcity shit because their customers know better and would rebel. Can you imagine Netflix yanking a show their customers know they own and then, what, demanding that subscribers pay a surtax to see just that show? If you thought Quikster was a shitstorm, that's nothing by comparison. I don't think they'd dare do that unless they want another PR debacle on their hands.

In theory, they might be able to get away with that, someday, if they had a truly amazing series that was the "killer app" - the show people can't do without. Star Trek again comes to mind as the killer app show for millions of people globally, and there aren't many names I can think of that qualifies. Certainly not House of Cards. I've seen three eps so far, it's pretty good but ultimately I can take it or leave it, just like I can take or leave practically everything on TV.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 06:48 PM   #137
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

CBS partners with Amazon to fund pricey sci fi series with big name attached.

in this case, the big name is Stephen King, but this sort of thing could work for Star Trek too. maybe CBS would be ok with showing it on broadcast if it knew that they'd also get a big boost from their streaming partner.

This will be an interesting test case for comparing the ratings on CBS vs Amazon. I've been rooting for Netflix just because I already pay for that service but getting a month of Amazon in order to see a Star Trek series would not be a deal killer for me at all.

CBS is often very protective of its content when it comes to online distribution. However, given that "Under the Dome" is a summer mini-series, there is less of a downside to making episodes available on additional platforms beyond CBS. Also, Amazon will now help shoulder CBS's costs for the series.

"Under the Dome," which is produced by Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television, is a big bet by CBS that viewers, who traditionally vanish from June through August, will embrace a Stephen King series. Typically, summer fare on the broadcast networks is often just new reality shows. With fewer viewers around, networks are often gun shy about expensive programs which will require big ratings to lure top advertisers.

However, cable networks such as FX and USA have prospered with original programming during the months the broadcasters hang their gone-fishing sign. Now networks are starting to rethink the idea of original programming during the summer.
Old February 12 2013, 03:11 PM   #138
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
I'd find a way to watch it for free.
Dennis please keep your piracy ideas to yourself.
It also violates TrekBBS Illegal Content rules.

This thread discusses if Trek were not on a linear TV channel how CBS Television would distribute and if you were willing to pay for Trek via download/streaming options. CBS Television would get a fee from you.
And he answered the question.

I'm the same way though. I'd watch it for free somehow.
Old February 12 2013, 03:50 PM   #139
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
I'd find a way to watch it for free.
Dennis please keep your piracy ideas to yourself.
It also violates TrekBBS Illegal Content rules.
Yeah, and if I hang out and watch it at a friend's house who bought it that's piracy because...?

I'll tell you what - how about until you can either read minds or think through what you read, you keep your mini-modding to yourself?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 04:56 AM   #140
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

the next Trek series were on linear TV?

CBS and the Under The Dome series and Amazon.
The deal will also allow for Dome, which will be produced by
Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television and CBS TV Studios, to be
purchased and downloaded exclusively on Amazon Instant Video.
that means no iTunes.
no Hulu Plus.

Last November, CBS ordered 13 episodes of the series under an
innovative financing structure where the network would seek a
subscription video-on-demand partner. The arrangement made it possible
to execute a high-end scripted drama during those summer months at lower
license fees. On Monday, CBS announced that Amazon -- rather than
Netflix or Hulu -- would be its partner on this series, and company
executives are saying the fit makes sense.
"With this innovative agreement, we’re giving fans more options
to watch and stay current with this serialized series, and doing so in a
way that protects the Television Network’s C3 advertising window,”
said CBS Corp’s chief corporate content licensing officer Scott
Koondel
Noted Brad Beale, director of digital video content acquisition
for Amazon: “Adding a current season major network TV series like
Under the Dome to the Prime Instant Video library so shortly after its
live airing enables us to increase our exclusive selection of great TV
shows and give customers access how, when and where they want to watch
it.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...on-make-420330
Netflix doesn't get same seasons of tv shows. Hulu is the only one with
the exception of pay-per-episode iTunes rentals.

The series’ first episode should air June 24 and become
available to Amazon Prime members June 28
Read more at
http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/11/am...3dbLoeyE5HT.99

Although Amazon will not unveil its own original television shows
until the fall at the earliest, it is spending hundreds of millions of
dollars to have the exclusive Web rights to shows it can brag about on
its Amazon Prime streaming
The cost of an Amazon Prime membership ($79) is a bit steep just
to get access to one unproven television show. But if the partnership
proves comfortable for CBS, and possibly other television networks, the
distribution method could prove a worthy competitor to ad-supported
streaming from network websites or products like iTunes Season Passes to
shows currently airing.
http://arstechnica.com/business/2013...f-new-tv-show/
and this is why CBS could allow scifi to do this. Trek in 3-4 years from now could be totally different with this Amazon relationship. Amazon may be a different animal by then.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 06:36 PM   #141
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Amazon and Netflix are both chasing the same goal, to have critical mass of a large range of appealing shows so that they are the one choice a customer will make for a streaming service. Netflix is way out in front right now. What they both need is to get more original series that will make a huge splash and make them look like the clear winner over the other guy.

Star Trek i
s the kind of brand they should both be pursuing with gusto. They're already going for big names in deals with Spacey and Fincher and Spielberg and Stephen King. A big name-brand series is the next step.
Old March 5 2013, 08:22 PM   #142
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Today from the president of CBS tv.

He added, “But we hit a tipping point this year, which is why in the fall numbers were tough to read … some of our hit programs literally are only watched 60 percent now live.”
What about in 4 years from now?
Why should a show like Trek be on linear TV at all in the US since it has an audience that will search it out?
CBS CEO Leslie Moonves is lobbying for advertisers to move to payment for live ratings plus 7 days (C7), versus the live ratings plus 3 days (C3) that they currenly pay for, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/...viewing-425980
Via
http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwir...-for-a-new.php
Old March 5 2013, 09:55 PM   #143
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I'd pay to stream it, yes. I also might accept an increase in Hulu or Netflix to get it.

RAMA
Old March 10 2013, 07:59 PM   #144
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Budgets -

Wow this article shows the budget of Netflix' shows!
There is enough $ for a license to CBS and pay for Trek. Would CBS go for something like this or want it also on a cable channel as a promotional item?

poke about the “huge” budgets behind some of the Netflix drama series. He said the cheapest show is $3.8 million an episode and House of Cards started at $4.5 million with executive producer David Fincher taking it ”way above that”. According to Micelli, the next series Hemlock Grove is costing $4 million an episode, while Orange Is The New Black is just under $4 million as well. (CAA sold some of the shows to Netflix but Micelli later clarified for Variety that these numbers were only his estimates.) Micelli said Netflix, whose deals are structured to cover multiple regions around the world, will control each series for 4 years exclusively and then re-sell them to a linear cable channel. Micelli expects Microsoft’s XBox whose studio is led by CBS vet Nancy Tellem to compete with Netflix for high-end programming.
http://m.deadline.com/2013/03/netfli...3-8m-4-5m-caa/

Would CBS make an exclusive deal for Star Trek for say 1 season for 6-9months and then release the Blu-ray or the season and go air it on a linear cable channel in 2 years?
Old March 10 2013, 10:24 PM   #145
Vito Corleone
Lieutenant Junior Grade

No. I want it to be on Network/Cable TV or Syndication, like it always has been. That would actually give me a reason to get cable again.
Vito Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 02:11 AM   #146
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Wow this article shows the budget of Netflix' shows!
There is enough $ for a license to CBS and pay for Trek. Would CBS go for something like this or want it also on a cable channel as a promotional item?

poke about the “huge” budgets behind some of the Netflix drama series. He said the cheapest show is $3.8 million an episode and House of Cards started at $4.5 million with executive producer David Fincher taking it ”way above that”. According to Micelli, the next series Hemlock Grove is costing $4 million an episode, while Orange Is The New Black is just under $4 million as well. (CAA sold some of the shows to Netflix but Micelli later clarified for Variety that these numbers were only his estimates.) Micelli said Netflix, whose deals are structured to cover multiple regions around the world, will control each series for 4 years exclusively and then re-sell them to a linear cable channel. Micelli expects Microsoft’s XBox whose studio is led by CBS vet Nancy Tellem to compete with Netflix for high-end programming.
http://m.deadline.com/2013/03/netfli...3-8m-4-5m-caa/

Would CBS make an exclusive deal for Star Trek for say 1 season for 6-9months and then release the Blu-ray or the season and go air it on a linear cable channel in 2 years?
I imagine Netflix will demand at least 9-12 months before Blu Ray release and an exclusive from other cable channels for the same 4 years they got for House of Cards. But those license fees are the first indication that Star Trek could be doable on "TV" again. Of course, Netflix needs to be convinced a new Star Trek series would drive subscriptions.

Vito Corleone wrote: View Post
No. I want it to be on Network/Cable TV or Syndication, like it always has been. That would actually give me a reason to get cable again.
If you would subscribe to cable, why not subscribe to Netflix? $8/month is a lot cheaper than any cable package you could get.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 04:28 AM   #147
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I saw that Deadline article, interesting...I thought House of Cards was a pricey outlier but I guess not (unless you count Fincher blowing the budget).

And cable is a supreme ripoff! Greedy sports franchises are pushing the rates thru the roof and I see no end in sight. Cut the cord now.

$8/month is a lot cheaper than any cable package you could get.
Due to Netflix's crappy streaming library, I added 2X DVD and that still comes out to just $20/month. Cable was over $100 when I finally kicked it to the curb. I basically get everything - every movie, TV series and documentary I can think to add to my queue. More than I can ever hope to watch, really.

Of course, Netflix needs to be convinced a new Star Trek series would drive subscriptions.
Other than a Star Wars series, I can't think of anything that would do a better job of driving subscriptions. What they need is a "unicorn" series, something that is unlike everything else so that you can't just say, "I won't bother with that, I'll watch this other thing instead, it's just as good."

House of Cards may have been popular but wasn't a unicorn. There are other fine series like it on TV now that have some combination of its chief elements -strong acting and characterization, intrigue, complex plotting, an antihero lead character.

But if you want Star Trek, what else can you substitute? Nothing, certainly nothing on TV now. If there was such a thing as a live action Star Wars series, that might be close. I could see Netflix getting one and then Amazon countering by getting the other, that would be hilarious.
Old March 14 2013, 04:40 PM   #148
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Viacom has been planning something. The nickelodeon app just launched and now a CBS app has launched. Shows air on linear TV and then on the CBS app. I now do not see them having current shows available on Hulu Plus for the most part.

the
program which handles streamed full episodes of certain CBS shows, and so-called “second screen” features for people who are watching conventional live TV. The network says that its daytime and late night shows will be available within 24 hours after they air, and most primetime shows will be up after eight day
s

http://m.deadline.com/2013/03/cbs-ne...nes-and-ipads/

See the first comment though for how bad the video playback is.
Old March 22 2013, 02:35 PM   #149
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

HBO Go and possible Showtime Anywhere

Where HBO goes Showtime is sure to follow since both are the top premium cable channels in the USA.
in Yesterday's news:
"HBO could widen access to its HBO Go online streaming service by teaming up with broadband Internet providers for customers who do not subscribe to a cable TV service, HBO Chief Executive Richard Plepler said,"
The Reuters story adds, "Plepler said late Wednesday that HBO Go could...be packaged with a monthly Internet service, in partnership with broadband providers, reducing the cost. Customers could pay $50 a month for their broadband Internet and an extra $10 or $15 for HBO to be packaged in with that service, for a total of $60 or $65 per month, Plepler said. 'We would have to make the math work,' he added."
HBO Go has about 6.5 million users, compared with !00 million subscribers worldwide for HBO's primary pay service.
As far as the pay TV regular channel customers:
HBO currently has 115 million subscribers worldwide, 41 million of who are in the US.
Game of Thrones has been pirated heavily online, and making HBO Go available to non-subscribers would provide a legal alternative.
HBO Go Considered For Non-Cable Subscribers: Report
also
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92K14D20130321
http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwir...er-hbo-ceo.php

Since Viacom owns CBS If Trek were put on (Viacom-owned) Showtime and Showtime allowed their Showtime Anytime available to non-subscribers of their primary premium subscription television service It could mean $12-15. subscription that would help fund a new Trek series. Maybe even on one of the multiplex channels like Showtime 2, or Showtime Beyond (which has sci-fi/fantasy films and made-for-cable science fiction series produced for Showtime.) just so Trek would be on a linear TV channel. If this was announced in 3-4 years while the next Trek series was in development you would see the subscriptions go up in the month leading up to Trek's premiere episode. So with the title of this thread if Trek were to premiere it's next TV series not on linear TV I think it would also have a major piracy problem and offering a Showtime Anytime subscription by teaming up with broadband Internet providers for customers who do not subscribe to a cable TV service would give most customers a legal way to see the next Trek TV series not necessarily with a cable television subscription.

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; March 22 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old March 22 2013, 08:41 PM   #150
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Customers could pay $50 a month for their broadband Internet and an extra $10 or $15 for HBO to be packaged in with that service, for a total of $60 or $65 per month, Plepler said.
No sale. I get all HBO shows and a lot more for $20 month from Netflix and of course millions of others pay nothing at all.