RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,673
Members: 24,199
Currently online: 562
Newest member: Vladd

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 14 2013, 01:25 PM   #151
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: The Pope

If this pope doesn't announce that he will be tackling child sexual abuse in the church as the most pressing issue the Catholic church faces than he is a worthless piece of shit. Because no one cares about all the other wah wah papal encyclicals about wah wah whatever while systemic child sexual abuse is going on. They need to get their shit together on this matter or they are going down.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:30 PM   #152
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
If this pope doesn't announce that he will be tackling child sexual abuse in the church as the most pressing issue the Catholic church faces than he is a worthless piece of shit. Because no one cares about all the other wah wah papal encyclicals about wah wah whatever while systemic child sexual abuse is going on. They need to get their shit together on this matter or they are going down.

Eh, sorry. But I think poverty is a more important issue on a global scale. That's a programmatic decision. So if he thinks poverty is the #1 issue he's "a worthless piece of shit"? Does it make me one, too? Colour me unimpressed by your rhetoric.
Old March 14 2013, 01:39 PM   #153
Starkers
Admiral

Well unless the Catholic Church has been covering up it's own complicity in poverty for generations then I'm with teacake. Poverty is certainly something he can lead/campaign on but he can't personally solve the issue.

As effectively the chief executive of Catholic plc on the other hand Sex abuse comitted by/covered up by his employees is his responsibility, and ultimately the buck stops with him.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:42 PM   #154
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

And you don't think it's debatable? You don't think with him being from South America where poverty is a very serious issue it's understandable if that's his focus?

I mean, I totally agree with tackling the issue of sexual abuse. But making poverty a priority doesn't exactly make him "a piece of shit" in my book. Which is what teacake wrote. I know sounding all badass is a priority for people on web forums but come on...
Old March 14 2013, 01:49 PM   #155
Avon
Fleet Captain

when was the last time you heard of a priest forcing a child into poverty?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:50 PM   #156
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
when was the last time you heard of a priest forcing a child into poverty?
Oh hey, a straw man.
Old March 14 2013, 02:02 PM   #157
Starkers
Admiral

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
And you don't think it's debatable? You don't think with him being from South America where poverty is a very serious issue it's understandable if that's his focus?

I mean, I totally agree with tackling the issue of sexual abuse. But making poverty a priority doesn't exactly make him "a piece of shit" in my book. Which is what teacake wrote. I know sounding all badass is a priority for people on web forums but come on...
I'm not saying he should ignore poverty, just that the church should put its own house in order first.

Of course he may do neither and choose to witter on about gay marriage abortion and contraception instead?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 02:06 PM   #158
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Of course he may do neither and choose to witter on about gay marriage abortion and contraception instead?
There's always that option.

Although it's rather unlikely given the name he picked. But who knows!
Old March 14 2013, 02:54 PM   #159
Avon
Fleet Captain

emilia, i'd rather leave a kid alone with scarecrow than a priest

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 03:38 PM   #160
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
And a good and dear friend of the former ruling Argentina junta.

At least not a former Nazi.
Don't be absurd.

Lots of Nazis fled to Argentina after the war.
Actually Argentina is full of Italians but I don't wanna interrupt your cheap shots. Keep aiming.
Wow, talk about an overreaction. It was an obvious joke hence the winking face.
Old March 14 2013, 03:44 PM   #161
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Don't be absurd.

Lots of Nazis fled to Argentina after the war.
Actually Argentina is full of Italians but I don't wanna interrupt your cheap shots. Keep aiming.
Wow, talk about an overreaction. It was an obvious joke hence the winking face.
Eh, did I seem like I was raging?
Old March 14 2013, 03:46 PM   #162
sidious618
Admiral

Perhaps not raging, but considering you felt the need to lecture me on cheap shots over a pretty tame joke I'd say you were overreacting. I can make a Barack Obama came from Kenya joke without actually thinking he came from Kenya and can do the same with a joke about the new pope.
Old March 14 2013, 03:49 PM   #163
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Perhaps not raging, but considering you felt the need to lecture me on cheap shots over a pretty tame joke I'd say you were overreacting. I can make a Barack Obama came from Kenya joke without actually thinking he came from Kenya and can do the same with a joke about the new pope.
Wtf, joking about Obama? Why do you hate America?

Also, given your username you shouldn't be joking about the pope. You might just be the old pope emeritus posting on a trek forum.

So yeah, there's that.
Old March 14 2013, 03:51 PM   #164
sidious618
Admiral

I always thought the pope looking like Palpatine was odd because MOST of the old cardinals look like Palpatine. They all seem to age into the same generic old person.
Old March 14 2013, 03:53 PM   #165
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

I always thought the pope looking like Palpatine was odd because MOST of the old cardinals look like Palpatine. They all seem to age into the same generic old person.
Are you saying all old people look the same? That's so ageist.

ETA: For what it's worth, I thought during his first appearance Francis I's habitus, speech and body language were totally different from Pope Sidious'. Gave a very different first impression I think.