RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,673
Posts: 5,212,642
Members: 24,199
Currently online: 562
Newest member: Vladd


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 14 2013, 01:25 PM   #151
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: The Pope

If this pope doesn't announce that he will be tackling child sexual abuse in the church as the most pressing issue the Catholic church faces than he is a worthless piece of shit. Because no one cares about all the other wah wah papal encyclicals about wah wah whatever while systemic child sexual abuse is going on. They need to get their shit together on this matter or they are going down.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:30 PM   #152
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral
 
{ Emilia }'s Avatar
 
Location: L'Europe
Re: The Pope

teacake wrote: View Post
If this pope doesn't announce that he will be tackling child sexual abuse in the church as the most pressing issue the Catholic church faces than he is a worthless piece of shit. Because no one cares about all the other wah wah papal encyclicals about wah wah whatever while systemic child sexual abuse is going on. They need to get their shit together on this matter or they are going down.

Eh, sorry. But I think poverty is a more important issue on a global scale. That's a programmatic decision. So if he thinks poverty is the #1 issue he's "a worthless piece of shit"? Does it make me one, too? Colour me unimpressed by your rhetoric.
__________________
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:39 PM   #153
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: The Pope

Well unless the Catholic Church has been covering up it's own complicity in poverty for generations then I'm with teacake. Poverty is certainly something he can lead/campaign on but he can't personally solve the issue.

As effectively the chief executive of Catholic plc on the other hand Sex abuse comitted by/covered up by his employees is his responsibility, and ultimately the buck stops with him.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Captain America:TWS review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:42 PM   #154
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral
 
{ Emilia }'s Avatar
 
Location: L'Europe
Re: The Pope

And you don't think it's debatable? You don't think with him being from South America where poverty is a very serious issue it's understandable if that's his focus?

I mean, I totally agree with tackling the issue of sexual abuse. But making poverty a priority doesn't exactly make him "a piece of shit" in my book. Which is what teacake wrote. I know sounding all badass is a priority for people on web forums but come on...
__________________
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:49 PM   #155
Avon
Fleet Captain
 
Avon's Avatar
 
Location: Space Wales
Re: The Pope

when was the last time you heard of a priest forcing a child into poverty?
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:50 PM   #156
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral
 
{ Emilia }'s Avatar
 
Location: L'Europe
Re: The Pope

junxon wrote: View Post
when was the last time you heard of a priest forcing a child into poverty?
Oh hey, a straw man.
__________________
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 02:02 PM   #157
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: The Pope

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
And you don't think it's debatable? You don't think with him being from South America where poverty is a very serious issue it's understandable if that's his focus?

I mean, I totally agree with tackling the issue of sexual abuse. But making poverty a priority doesn't exactly make him "a piece of shit" in my book. Which is what teacake wrote. I know sounding all badass is a priority for people on web forums but come on...
I'm not saying he should ignore poverty, just that the church should put its own house in order first.

Of course he may do neither and choose to witter on about gay marriage abortion and contraception instead?
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Captain America:TWS review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 02:06 PM   #158
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral
 
{ Emilia }'s Avatar
 
Location: L'Europe
Re: The Pope

Starkers wrote: View Post
Of course he may do neither and choose to witter on about gay marriage abortion and contraception instead?
There's always that option.

Although it's rather unlikely given the name he picked. But who knows!
__________________
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 02:54 PM   #159
Avon
Fleet Captain
 
Avon's Avatar
 
Location: Space Wales
Re: The Pope

emilia, i'd rather leave a kid alone with scarecrow than a priest
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 03:38 PM   #160
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: The Pope

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
And a good and dear friend of the former ruling Argentina junta.

At least not a former Nazi.
Don't be absurd.

Lots of Nazis fled to Argentina after the war.
Actually Argentina is full of Italians but I don't wanna interrupt your cheap shots. Keep aiming.
Wow, talk about an overreaction. It was an obvious joke hence the winking face.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 03:44 PM   #161
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral
 
{ Emilia }'s Avatar
 
Location: L'Europe
Re: The Pope

sidious618 wrote: View Post
{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post

Don't be absurd.

Lots of Nazis fled to Argentina after the war.
Actually Argentina is full of Italians but I don't wanna interrupt your cheap shots. Keep aiming.
Wow, talk about an overreaction. It was an obvious joke hence the winking face.
Eh, did I seem like I was raging?
__________________
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 03:46 PM   #162
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: The Pope

Perhaps not raging, but considering you felt the need to lecture me on cheap shots over a pretty tame joke I'd say you were overreacting. I can make a Barack Obama came from Kenya joke without actually thinking he came from Kenya and can do the same with a joke about the new pope.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 03:49 PM   #163
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral
 
{ Emilia }'s Avatar
 
Location: L'Europe
Re: The Pope

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Perhaps not raging, but considering you felt the need to lecture me on cheap shots over a pretty tame joke I'd say you were overreacting. I can make a Barack Obama came from Kenya joke without actually thinking he came from Kenya and can do the same with a joke about the new pope.
Wtf, joking about Obama? Why do you hate America?

Also, given your username you shouldn't be joking about the pope. You might just be the old pope emeritus posting on a trek forum.

So yeah, there's that.
__________________
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 03:51 PM   #164
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: The Pope

I always thought the pope looking like Palpatine was odd because MOST of the old cardinals look like Palpatine. They all seem to age into the same generic old person.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 03:53 PM   #165
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral
 
{ Emilia }'s Avatar
 
Location: L'Europe
Re: The Pope

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I always thought the pope looking like Palpatine was odd because MOST of the old cardinals look like Palpatine. They all seem to age into the same generic old person.
Are you saying all old people look the same? That's so ageist.


ETA: For what it's worth, I thought during his first appearance Francis I's habitus, speech and body language were totally different from Pope Sidious'. Gave a very different first impression I think.
__________________
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.