Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 14 2013, 01:59 PM   #16
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: So, what was up with Avery Brooks' comm badge in "Rapture"?

Rich.

Of course I know what a uniform is. I know that there were many different uniforms shown on the show, too, all from Starfleet and in the same era.

So.... next.
Old March 14 2013, 02:58 PM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Even with different uniforms, there are specific places and ways to wear various insignia. Kind of a no-brainer.
Old March 14 2013, 03:09 PM   #18
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Even with different uniforms, there are specific places and ways to wear various insignia. Kind of a no-brainer.
Yeah, but this is not a mere ornament, is it? It's something that the officer has to be able to manually activate. There would be ergonomic considerations in an enlightened institution, would there not?

How do you know that the Starfleet uniform code doesn't allow reasonable variation in the placement of combadges, for reasons including, but not limited to, the medical needs of the officer?

You don't, do you.
Old March 14 2013, 03:44 PM   #19
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I've got onscreen evidence to go by that people wear insignia in specific places on their uniforms.

What do you have that says differently?
Old March 14 2013, 03:47 PM   #20
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Looking at post #5 of this thread, I'd say I have on screen evidence, that Sisko can wear his combadge in either place. Anyway, toodles. I'm done with this. My question has been answered. It may or may not have been a costume snafu, but it's hardly significant, and there's no in-universe problem with it in any case. Thanks!
Old March 14 2013, 03:55 PM   #21
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote:
Looking at post #5 of this thread, I'd say I have on screen evidence, that Sisko can wear his combadge in either place.
Um, no. Since that was corrected in the very next episode, that can be easily dismissed as a costuming error or simply something that wasn't right. Nice try, though.
Old March 19 2013, 04:17 PM   #22
KNH
Commander

I find it more hilarious to imagine that Sisko tried to play the I'm-the-damn-Sisko-card and wore it 'wrong', only to have received an official reprimand to obey the damn uniform guidelines between episodes.
KNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 08:10 PM   #23
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

"I don't care what they call you on Bajor. Fix your uniform, Captain."
--Fleet Admiral Alynna Nechayev
Old March 19 2013, 09:21 PM   #24
Timo
Admiral

For a practical example, the camo uniforms during my brief service (mandatory in Finland) came in all sorts of worn-down variants. Generally, they had little in the way of decoration, being for rough'n dirty field use only - rank markings in the collar, but nothing else, no unit badges or anything like that. But there were situations where a name tag would have to be worn, and it had to go "over the heart".

A dozen ways to do that, with the half a dozen uniform types handed down from previous generations of users: the ones with chest pockets sometimes had these pockets in a location suited for the "over the heart" positioning, sometimes not, and sometimes a type of uniform that was supposed to have the chest pocket over the heart had this pocket missing due to wear and tear. There would have been no point in regulating the placement vis-á-vis the design or status of the uniform; "over the heart" was more than sufficient.

Starfleet uniforms are a bit more uniform - but Starfleet personnel are not. There would probably be similar leeway simply because three-handed people would need to place the thing differently, and never mind people shaped like turtles. Dedicated rules for humanoid-shaped, turtle-shaped and shapeless crew might well be a silly idea. Especially when we remember all those occasions where a commbadge was not worn at all: apparently, there is no solid rule about that, either.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2013, 09:33 PM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Starfleet uniforms are a bit more uniform - but Starfleet personnel are not. There would probably be similar leeway simply because three-handed people would need to place the thing differently, and never mind people shaped like turtles. Dedicated rules for humanoid-shaped, turtle-shaped and shapeless crew might well be a silly idea.
I don't think so at all. In fact, it would make sense that Starfleet would have different uniforms for non-humanoid crewmembers, but still have regulations in place for them to follow regarding how to wear their uniforms and/or insignia.
Especially when we remember all those occasions where a commbadge was not worn at all: apparently, there is no solid rule about that, either.
When people were off-duty and in civilian clothes? Probably not.