Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 12 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Lance
Fleet Captain

So, what was up with Avery Brooks' comm badge in "Rapture"?

I don't think I've ever seen an adequate explanation for this. Memory Alpha says the uniform tunic didn't fit him to start with so they were forced to put his comm badge up on the gray portion of the uniform for a few episodes, but I can't see why the uniform not fitting him would dictate where the comm badge goes. I mean, Riker wasn't forced to wear his comm badge in a different spot when he wore Sisko's hand-me-downs in "Generations". How is it that the comm badges were fastened to the costumes anyway?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Kinggodzillak
Commander

Re: So, what was up with Avery Brooks' comm badge in "Rapture"?

He's the Goddamn Sisko and can do whatever he darn well likes. That's a more than adequate explanation, surely?
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Lance
Fleet Captain

I was forgetting.

"DAMN it, ConSTABLE! I'll wear my COMMbadge whichEVER way I DAMN well LIKE!!!"
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an adequate explanation for this. Memory Alpha says the uniform tunic didn't fit him to start with so they were forced to put his comm badge up on the gray portion of the uniform for a few episodes, but I can't see why the uniform not fitting him would dictate where the comm badge goes. I mean, Riker wasn't forced to wear his comm badge in a different spot when he wore Sisko's hand-me-downs in "Generations".
Totally different uniforms.

Sisko's uniform in "Rapture" was a three-piece affair with a vest and jacket. The jacket was somewhat bulky and the greyish-purple shoulder yoke was a lot bigger and extended further down than everyone else's. To keep the combadge still over his heart, it was positioned there, rather than on the lower black part.
How is it that the comm badges were fastened to the costumes anyway?
Velcro. But when a scene required a combadge to be moved, sometimes a magnet was used.
Old March 13 2013, 11:53 PM   #5
StewMc
Commodore

The shoulder yoke on the three-piece wasn't really that much bigger than the (what I assume is an) all-in-one piece, an inch or two longer at most. Compare two random caps:

The badge looks far too far up even with the longer yoke. They could have put it in the normal place and it would have looked fine (IMO of course). Unless there was some physical reason why it couldn't go on the black part, maybe it kept falling off? I don't know.

The "Rapture" uniform/badge combo is also appears in most of "The Darkness and the Light" (where the left screen cap above comes from) until the last scene when they rescue Kira, where Brooks appears to be wearing the normal uniform with the V shape in the yolk and the comm badge in the correct place.
StewMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 12:00 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

StewMc wrote: View Post
The shoulder yoke on the three-piece wasn't really that much bigger than the (what I assume is an) all-in-one piece, an inch or two longer at most. Compare two random caps:

The badge looks far too far up even with the longer yoke. They could have put it in the normal place and it would have looked fine (IMO of course). Unless there was some physical reason why it couldn't go on the black part, maybe it kept falling off? I don't know.
It was enough of an issue for the costume department not to place it with the black part of the uniform like everyone else's. But the first screencap you provided is actually from a later episode when it really is just a case of the combadge placed higher than it needed to be (more on that below).
The "Rapture" uniform/badge combo is also appears in most of "The Darkness and the Light" (where the left screen cap above comes from) until the last scene when they rescue Kira, where Brooks appears to be wearing the normal uniform with the V shape in the yolk and the comm badge in the correct place.
"The Darkness and the Light" was when Brooks got his better-fitting costume, but his combadge was still initially placed in the yoke area as it was in the previously until it was corrected during that same episode. Your initial screencap came from the early part of that story before it was fixed.

His original one in "Rapture" was bulkier (to accomodate the vest underneath) and also lacked the branch-colored piping around the cuffs.
http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...apture_064.jpg
Old March 14 2013, 12:14 PM   #7
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Could someone help me, I really don't see the issue here. It's not like TOS: The Enemy Within, when evidently someone forgot to sew the arrowhead insignia on one of Kirk's uniforms.

The TNG-era combadges can be removed and reattached by the wearer at will, as part of their in-universe design. Right? So, the Sisko changed his mind about where he wanted it. It was more perfectly Sisko in one spot until it was time to be more perfectly Sisko in another spot. Big deal. Yes?

Or is there some quartermaster mandate about where officers must wear them to the nearest millimeter?
Old March 14 2013, 12:31 PM   #8
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Could someone help me, I really don't see the issue here. It's not like TOS: The Enemy Within, when evidently someone forgot to sew the arrowhead insignia on one of Kirk's uniforms.

The TNG-era combadges can be removed and reattached by the wearer at will, as part of their in-universe design. Right? So, the Sisko changed his mind about where he wanted it. It was more perfectly Sisko in one spot until it was time to be more perfectly Sisko in another spot. Big deal. Yes?

Or is there some quartermaster mandate about where officers must wear them to the nearest millimeter?
It's kind of where the uniformity in uniforms come from. Otherwise, people can wear combadges wherever or however they want--left, right, upside-down, sideways, on the sleeves, etc.
Old March 14 2013, 01:14 PM   #9
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral

Maybe he'd hurt his elbow and it was simply more comfortable to reach his comm badge when it was in that position on his chest.
Old March 14 2013, 01:16 PM   #10
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post

It's kind of where the uniformity in uniforms come from. Otherwise, people can wear combadges wherever or however they want--left, right, upside-down, sideways, on the sleeves, etc.
So, it's either to the nearest millimeter or every which way, eh, with nothing in between? You didn't really answer my question.

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
Maybe he'd hurt his elbow and it was simply more comfortable to reach his comm badge when it was in that position on his chest.
This is what I was thinking, actually.
Old March 14 2013, 01:37 PM   #11
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

So, it's either to the nearest millimeter or every which way, eh, with nothing in between? You didn't really answer my question.
You weren't paying attention, so I'll simplify it--if there isn't an official place to wear a combadge on a uniform, then people could wear them any old kind of way. Same thing likely applies to rank insignia in which there is a specific spot and way for them to be displayed on the collar. It's really very simple.
Old March 14 2013, 01:40 PM   #12
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Well, again, to rephrase my question, who says both places aren't officially acceptable to the quartermaster? Is that clear enough?
Old March 14 2013, 01:45 PM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Well, again, to rephrase my question, who says both places aren't officially acceptable to the quartermaster? Is that clear enough?
Do you understand what a uniform is?
Old March 14 2013, 01:56 PM   #14
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

So, you don't know, in other words. It's an assumption you have. We saw numerous variants allowed in the uniforms over the run of the show. You don't have any reason to suppose that this isn't a variant acceptable to Starfleet code, because you don't know what that code is.
Old March 14 2013, 01:57 PM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

So, you don't know, in other words. It's an assumption you have. We saw numerous variants allowed in the uniforms over the run of the show. You don't have any reason to suppose that this isn't a variant acceptable to Starfleet code, because you don't know what that code is.
So you don't know what a uniform is.