Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What is your preference for how zombies move?
Walking 44 80.00%
Running 1 1.82%
No preference 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 13 2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Zombie Movement

In zombie films, which type do you prefer: walkers or runners? Which do you prefer to see the heroes go up against?
Old March 13 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: Zombie Movement

I chose walking but it will be interesting to see of World War Z can make fast moving zombies work without making it cheesy.

That said, walking aombies as a world-wide threat to humanity is implausible.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Kytee
Commander

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I chose walking but it will be interesting to see of World War Z can make fast moving zombies work without making it cheesy.

I agree about World War Z, it will be interesting to see how it plays, ( I'm worried it might be cheesy too ) I'd also like to see how humanity turns the tide; the tactics used in the book wouldn't work against the hurricane-o-zombies that we have seen in the previews so far.
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 03:27 PM   #4
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Kytee wrote: View Post
I agree about World War Z, it will be interesting to see how it plays, ( I'm worried it might be cheesy too ) I'd also like to see how humanity turns the tide; the tactics used in the book wouldn't work against the hurricane-o-zombies that we have seen in the previews so far.
Agreed. Fast moving Zombies are the only ones that could plausibly overtake our military. The one's seen in Walking Dead simply after they discovered how to easily kill them would be history.

But yes, the hurricane zombies we saw in the tailer wasn't encouraging to make Z plausible either.

28 Weeks Later probably thus far has done the fast zombies the best - but IIRC they weren't even zombies just very sick live humans.

Last edited by DarthTom; March 13 2013 at 03:38 PM.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I prefer walking--as in the original Night of the Living Dead, where some were stiff, others (like the 1st graveyard zombie) could pick up the page and swing arms when close to a victim.

It is easy to understand why films such as the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake used running zombies to turn up the threat level (essentially Aliens-flavored chase scenes with zombies), but you lose the morbid sight of stiff corpses when they move like 'roided track stars.
Old March 13 2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

As long as it's done well either one's fine with me.
Old March 13 2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
As long as it's done well either one's fine with me.
Yea, sometimes I'm in he mood for NotLD or Original DotD, other ties I'm in the mood for Remake DotD

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 12:07 AM   #8
SonOfMogh
Commander

Walkers are far scarier, it's the threat you can run away from but never escape. Walkers grind you down slowly, you can survive until there is no food, no chance of rest, and a mistake is made.

I don't agree with those saying that slow moving zombies pose less of a threat to the military than runners. If you compare the running zombies in the DOTD remake with the traditional Romero zombies there is a big difference.

The Romero zombie literally only works because it is established that the bodies of all recently deceased suddenly returned to life and immediately began to attack the unprepared living. There was no warning for this, lines were not drawn, troops were not mobilised, they literally appeared everywhere at once in numbers and started biting their family, friends, coworkers. With as little as 24 hours notice and some clarification that they are dead and cannot be helped, they never would have even posed the slightest threat. It is a commonly accepted fact that all zombie fiction exists in a universe that does not have zombie movies/games/comics.

In the DOTD remake it appears that those who die from anything else than bites do not reanimate. This means that in this universe an individual zombie is a far greater threat, however the spread should be far slower.
SonOfMogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 12:52 AM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Conversely, do all deaths (from whatever cause) in The Walking Dead lead to reanimation? I have never seen the show so I don't know what its rules are. (Or in Romero films)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:04 AM   #10
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

All deaths in The Walking Dead result in reanimation unless there's severe cranial trauma.
Old March 14 2013, 01:17 AM   #11
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Ah. I see. So I take it there's some reason why everybody doesn't simply shoot themselves in the head? If they don't do that, then any other death they might experience will turn them into a zombie, so they are doomed either way...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 02:40 AM   #12
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Walking. Runny movements are too messy.
Old March 14 2013, 02:41 AM   #13
Mojochi
Commodore

Yes, all are doomed to reanimation in The Walking Dead, unless prior to death they destroy their brain or have someone do it. As to why so many zombies exist due to not having destroyed their own brains, it's probably because the infection spread so quickly during the onset, that people didn't have time to know what was happening. A person suffering from the most superficial bite still dies of infection in less than a day. The whole plague had wiped out the majority of the human race in only a couple months. That's fast enough that there'd be billions of zombies out there in short order.

As to the question, I'm in the group that doesn't mind either walking or running, but the truth about The Walking Dead is that they are not strictly one or the other. If you pay attention, you see both, & what I mean by that is that they move at average human speed, not old school lumbering zombies, & not 28 Days Later lightning fast Zombies

The motivator is food. They ain't too quick witted, the geeks, so they're slow to make the connection, but once they got food in their sights, they start to put a move on right quick, with physical speeds comparable to the person they were & condition of the corpse. However, in herds they tend to move slower because of the numbers involved.

The only times they are slow individually, are when they're just out roaming & have no motivation to be moving fast, just like a regular person. One of the best things about the show is that the zombies are in all ways that matter just reanimated people, with vastly diminished brain function, who are spreading infection, & have a pretty indiscriminate craving for live flesh.
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:26 AM   #14
Immolatus
Captain

If I were to chose which one I would rather face slow moving ones anyday. as far as watching a movie, those track stars from 28 days and DOTD remake are great
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 06:16 AM   #15
theenglish
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post

You are correct. Runners are much more "plausible"
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote