Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 13 2013, 05:52 PM   #16
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Vikings--history channel series (spoilers)

gturner wrote: View Post

*Interview video*
Well now I'm just totally in love with her!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 09:09 PM   #17
gturner
Admiral

Is it really possible to have spoilers about something the History Channel airs?

"Joey. Spoiler alert. Hitler loses."
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 10:10 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Is it really possible to have spoilers about something the History Channel airs?

When it's a historical drama, not a documentary? Sure.

I mean, just because Downtown Abbey is a period piece set during the Great War or the Roaring Twenties doesn't mean it can't have spoilers.
Old March 13 2013, 10:32 PM   #19
Byronic
Ensign

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

I mean, just because Downtown Abbey is a period piece set during the Great War or the Roaring Twenties doesn't mean it can't have spoilers.
But, none of the characters in Downton Abbey are based on real historical figures. Ragnar Lodbrok did exist, and so while the details of the show may be different, If the show lasts long enough, you could expect certain documented events in his life to happen on the show. Like the raids into France, and the births (or adoption) of his other sons like Ivar the Boneless.
Byronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 10:47 PM   #20
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I've been interested in the show since its announcement but I wanted to wait for the reviews before I jumped on it (that and I completely forgot when it started). The show sounds very promising and I'll have to check it out when I get back from my underway.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 10:49 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Byronic wrote: View Post

But, none of the characters in Downton Abbey are based on real historical figures. Ragnar Lodbrok did exist, and so while the details of the show may be different, If the show lasts long enough, you could expect certain documented events in his life to happen on the show. Like the raids into France, and the births (or adoption) of his other sons like Ivar the Boneless.
Depends how faithful and/or fictionalized the series is. I mean, look at MERLIN. We all knew that Arthur and Guenevere were probably going to get married at some point, and that Morganna was going to go over to the dark side eventually, but that didn't mean individual episodes couldn't get spoiled or that we knew exactly how everything was going to play out . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; March 14 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 10:52 PM   #22
ITL
Vice Admiral

I should think that this show is the first some of us have heard of Ragnar, though. I, for one, know very little of the historical Vikings and Sagas and so forth. Therefore, spoilers.
Old March 13 2013, 10:59 PM   #23
gturner
Admiral

Like the raids into France, and the births (or adoption) of his other sons like Ivar the Boneless.
Despite his violent reputation, I think it's great that Ragnar adopted a child with special needs.
Old March 13 2013, 11:36 PM   #24
Byronic
Ensign

Like the raids into France, and the births (or adoption) of his other sons like Ivar the Boneless.
Despite his violent reputation, I think it's great that Ragnar adopted a child with special needs.

No one agrees on why Ivar was called "the Boneless" some say he had brittle bone disease, some say he was impotent, others say he was just very flexible
Byronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:04 AM   #25
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

ITL wrote: View Post
I should think that this show is the first some of us have heard of Ragnar, though. I, for one, know very little of the historical Vikings and Sagas and so forth. Therefore, spoilers.
Uh, no.

Discussing details of episodes that have preaired or confirmed details of future episodes are spoilers. Discussing mythology and historical facts most definitely isn't. Neither is speculating things based upon already aired episodes. Learning something new isn't a synonym for being spoiled, FFS.

I swear, people throw that damn word around way too much.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 01:21 AM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
ITL wrote: View Post
Uh, no.

Discussing details of episodes that have preaired or confirmed details of future episodes are spoilers. Discussing mythology and historical facts most definitely isn't. Neither is speculating things based upon already aired episodes. Learning something new isn't a synonym for being spoiled, FFS.
Agreed. I don't think anyone was objecting to discussions of the actual myths or history. We just want to avoid stuff like "Ohmigod! I can't believe the way Rollo double-crosses Sigmund in next week's episode! And who knew that Gerda was secretly sleeping with Floki?"
Old March 14 2013, 03:09 AM   #27
gturner
Admiral

Viking spoilers aren't supposed to be shared out, they are taken to your grave so you can use them in Valhalla.
Old March 14 2013, 03:36 AM   #28
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Now I remember where I've heard of Ragnar before, Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 05:37 AM   #29
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Depends how faithful and/or fictionalized the series is. I mean, look at MERLIN. We all knew that Arthur and Guenevere were probably going to get married at some point, and that Morganna was going to go over to the dark side eventually, but that didn't mean individual episodes couldn't get spoiled or that we knew exactly how everything was going to play out . . . .
Assuming the monastery they raided was supposed to be Lindesfarne (and the famed attack of 793), that would be a few decades before Ragnar's time which was about the mid 9th century when they'd have known full well there were places to raid in the west. However, the show looks to be too much fun to worry about such stuff.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2013, 11:43 PM   #30
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

They seem to get most of the lifestyle right, but they are not that good on the chronology and factual accuracy.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote