Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 12 2013, 06:00 AM   #31
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: too many aliens?

I don't mind having a lot of different humanoid aliens, and I have no problem with 'Forehead alien of the week'. The premises of all the shows except DS9 pretty much demanded different aliens to be present every week, otherwise they wouldn't have been exploration shows.

They should have created a little bit more variety in aliens. Different skin tones, more monstrous looking by human standards. I think the writers felt that the more monstrous looking an alien the less sympathetic that alien would be to the viewers, which kind of goes against the very idea behind the show.

And they could have been more creative with their attractive female actresses, they could have made them look more alien without making them look unsexy. I suppose colored makeup makes their skin look less smooth, but did their range of hair color have to be identical to humans? Give Jadzia blue hair or something. Or maybe Bajorans come in three colors, pink, blue, and green. The pink just happens to be the same tone as caucasian humans, and hey we have this hot caucasian actress, but then there are also blue Bajorans hanging around.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:12 PM   #32
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
And they could have been more creative with their attractive female actresses, they could have made them look more alien without making them look unsexy. I suppose colored makeup makes their skin look less smooth, but did their range of hair color have to be identical to humans? Give Jadzia blue hair or something.
They originally had Jadzia resemble the Trill first seen in TNG's "The Host," but the producers didn't like the way she looked with the bumpy forehead.
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/..._TNG_Trill.jpg
Old March 12 2013, 08:21 PM   #33
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

And Roddenberry suggested that Troi have three breasts.

Until Marina Sirtis was instructed to come up with a Betazoid accent, there were plans to develop a relatively simply alien latex application for her character. Hence Gropler Zorn's "You have brought a Betazoid to this meeting" scripted complaint. The writers were assuming an alien look would be present. Surely, just having black irises would not be such a sudden, significant indication to Zorn - unless he could also sense Troi's empathic powers?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:35 PM   #34
dub
Fleet Captain

I find the Bajoran nose and earring to be quite sexy on Kira and Ro. The make-up team did a great job there.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 09:34 PM   #35
Metryq
Captain

Whedon couldn't get any aliens for FIREFLY because they were already working over on the STAR TREK soundstage.
Old March 12 2013, 09:52 PM   #36
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
And Roddenberry suggested that Troi have three breasts.

Until Marina Sirtis was instructed to come up with a Betazoid accent, there were plans to develop a relatively simply alien latex application for her character. Hence Gropler Zorn's "You have brought a Betazoid to this meeting" scripted complaint. The writers were assuming an alien look would be present. Surely, just having black irises would not be such a sudden, significant indication to Zorn - unless he could also sense Troi's empathic powers?
I remember that scene, but I always just thought Zorn had learned in advance that Picard had a Betazoid aide with him on the Enterprise.
Old March 13 2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Gary7
Rear Admiral

The worst showcase of aliens was in Star Trek TMP. Absolutely awful.

As to why there are so many humanoid aliens? Well, I venture to guess that for the environment that is natural for humans, it lends itself palatable for other humanoids. Thus, you see plenty of them around. There are exceptions, like the Breen who need to be contained in their own environment suit and are still humanoid in shape. Lastly, it's just so much easier to throw a few prosthetic pieces on a human being and go with that than to conjure up some elaborate costume that a person needs to crawl inside. Despite the high budgets of the shows, there is only so far you can go...
Old March 18 2013, 09:10 PM   #38
xortex
Commodore

Quick answer, yes. They should all be Humans unless absolutely necessary and then as alien as possible.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 03:22 AM   #39
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Nah. You do what you can with the budget you have, the restrictions of the mediums you're working with and the time you have to get it done.

All things considered, they did a pretty good job.
Old March 21 2013, 10:53 AM   #40
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Anji wrote: View Post
Nah. You do what you can with the budget you have, the restrictions of the mediums you're working with and the time you have to get it done.
In some cases all it really would have taken would have been a piece of dialog. If (for example) they had consistently referred to Mister Sulu as being an alien, coming from a non-Human species, he would have been. Might have explained the blue eyelids too.

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
They should have created a little bit more variety in aliens. Different skin tones, more monstrous looking by human standards.
I've thought that they could have done more simply by hiring actors/actresses who were not of standard body size. Painfully thin, or unusually tall, or huge bulky people, hire children to depict alien adults.

A prosthetic under the starfleet costume to present spinal ridges (or three breasts) wouldn't have to stand up to close examination.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 11:57 AM   #41
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I've thought that they could have done more simply by hiring actors/actresses who were not of standard body size. Painfully thin, or unusually tall, or huge bulky people, hire children to depict alien adults.
Or cats. Cats in cute little space alien cat costumes.
Old March 21 2013, 12:15 PM   #42
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Assignment: Earth. And I've had suspicions about Porthos for some time now.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:15 PM   #43
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I sometimes got annoyed by the slightly-modified-alien-of-the-week formula that crept into VOYAGER. But I still liked the show.

One piece of trivia I picked up from a behind the scenes feature somewhere: during the period when they had two TV series in production at the same time, the STAR TREK make-up department was buying liquid latex for facial appliances by the 55-gallon drum. That's a lot of foreheads.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:19 PM   #44
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Gary7 wrote: View Post
The worst showcase of aliens was in Star Trek TMP. Absolutely awful.
Totally disagree! Of course, many were over-the-head, non-articulated masks, so they were destined to remain in the background (like Morn in DS9), but I loved them, and their ambassadorial robes as well.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote