Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old March 13 2013, 12:42 AM   #31
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Franz Joseph Blueprints Revisited

The combined efforts of all the fans beats what FJ was able to accomplish hands down, in terms of both quality man hours alone as well as access to materials. But that's because there are more of us and many of us have each devoted more time than he ever had; I'm willing to bet that's basically the only reason. Consequently, the output from fans tends to be more specialized.

Of course there will be shortcomings in the FJ tech manual; it was scrapped together after the fact. Since then, the fans have poured over the source material in efforts to correct the errors.

If someone like him, with a small team, had been hired to make the manual as the show was produced, it would have been more accurate; the TNG tech manual is definitely more accurate, although I'm not happy with its style.
Old March 13 2013, 12:53 AM   #32
Warped9
Admiral

Even with my criticisms I've long thought it would be cool to have seen an updated version of the Star Fleet Technical Manual. But the demand might not be there anymore. Today there are numerous websites with Treknical material (of varying quality) that can be accessed in an instant and without the expense of publishing and purchasing.
Old March 13 2013, 11:41 AM   #33
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I'm a fan of FJ's publications. For more info about him and his works, check out my Trekplace web site (trekplace.com).

The blueprints and technical manual were created by hand. The reason much of the callout text looks handwritten is because it was-- using stencils. The dotted portions of the drawings were made by cutting shapes from pre-printed material and applying them to the drawings. To my knowledge all of the artwork was drawn at the size at which it was printed.

I have seen some of the original artwork in person, and it's crazy cool!
Old March 13 2013, 11:50 AM   #34
ZapBrannigan
Captain

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
I'm a fan of FJ's publications. For more info about him and his works, check out my Trekplace web site (trekplace.com).

The blueprints and technical manual were created by hand. The reason much of the callout text looks handwritten is because it was-- using stencils. The dotted portions of the drawings were made by cutting shapes from pre-printed material and applying them to the drawings. To my knowledge all of the artwork was drawn at the size at which it was printed.

I have seen some of the original artwork in person, and it's crazy cool!
Exactly. When you take into account that he did it all without a computer, and he was inventing from scratch the then-unheard-of genre of sci-fi technical drawings for public consumption, his stuff is all the more impressive.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 11:54 AM   #35
Warped9
Admiral

Fans did a lot of the same things. I've been using a computer to draw schematics for no more than maybe ten years, but before that all of my drawings were by hand and using the drafting skills I learned in high school in the mid '70s.
Old March 13 2013, 12:04 PM   #36
ZapBrannigan
Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Fans did a lot of the same things. I've been using a computer to draw schematics for no more than maybe ten years, but before that all of my drawings were by hand and using the drafting skills I learned in high school in the mid '70s.
I have to grant that, alright. The older drawings at Cygnus were done by hand. And I myself took a drafting course in high school in the seventies, and it influenced my own drawings of STAR TREK sets and props. But FJ was a full-blown professional and (swimming pool, bowling alley etc. aside...) it really showed in his drawing.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:22 PM   #37
Forbin
Admiral

I still have a couple of folders full of Zipatone shading at home.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:45 PM   #38
Metryq
Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
Along with Rubylith, some no-repro blue pens, and the hot waxer for your galleys, no doubt. I had a meter-long T-square made from steel that I called "Excalibur." I parted with it some years ago during one of my moves. However, I still have the technical drawing set my mom used in school. The pens are all adjustable calipers for creating different weight strokes.

Old March 13 2013, 05:06 PM   #39
Robert Comsol
Commodore

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
It's easy to criticize the work now after so much else has been done since.
Ain't that the truth most of the time. Regardless of what I think now, as a teen, I poured over that paperwork like a hungry jackal. I still have those same blueprints and they are still front and center - cover showing - on one of my bookcases in my office.
As a teen back in 1978 I poured over that paperwork like a hungry jackal, too (especially since the cover card promised "authentic"!), and was instantly and utterly disappointed.

Every Friday our Trek fan club had viewings of the original episodes (the VCR video tape system) and I started making notes of corridor camera angles and all these details on copies - of the studio set plan published in The Making of Star Trek (just a little while later I got hold of the Season One blueprints sold by Lincoln Enterprises).

An accurate reproduction of the Enterprise's interior would have already been possible then, if one had approached the subject with more passion (anyway, I'm doing it now with a deck plan project of my own and use traditional paper and pencil techniques).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 05:18 PM   #40
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

More passion?

Robert Comsol I'd be interested to know the number of man hours your project takes in total, and an enumeration of what resources you've used on it, when it's finally completed.
Old March 13 2013, 05:23 PM   #41
Warped9
Admiral

Making faithful deck plans of the Enterprise can be a challenge because there are different ways to interpret the available information. Over the years I've seen a number of projects tackling this (many right in the Arts forum here) and each one of them made sense even while interpreting things differently. About the only common denominators were the location of the bridge and the hangar deck. Everything else was pretty much up for grabs.

I gotta say the 3D versions are particularly fascinating. They really make the ship come alive.
Old March 13 2013, 05:58 PM   #42
Forbin
Admiral

Metryq wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Along with Rubylith, some no-repro blue pens, and the hot waxer for your galleys, no doubt. I had a meter-long T-square made from steel that I called "Excalibur." I parted with it some years ago during one of my moves. However, I still have the technical drawing set my mom used in school. The pens are all adjustable calipers for creating different weight strokes.

You should'a seen what we threw out here at work when the boss decided "okay, we're a computer graphics department now. Throw out all the old manual stuff." Tons of Alvin lettering templates in wooden cases; two huge boxes of Chartpak tape (I kept that!); rubylith; large sheets of tinted adhesive film; colored gels... it was painful.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 06:06 PM   #43
Warped9
Admiral

Funny thing is I still sketch out my ideas by hand rather than try goofing around on the computer. I sketch perspective views to get a feel of the design. Then I sketch out the orthographic views in rough which I then scan into the computer and work off those. Somehow I feel sketching and drawing by hand gives me a more tangible feel for what I'm thinking of as a three dimensional object. I'm also fortunate that I can easily see in 3D in my imagination. I can "see" the things not in view no matter what the angle of view I'm drawing the object.
Old March 13 2013, 11:39 PM   #44
Robert Comsol
Commodore

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
More passion?

Robert Comsol I'd be interested to know the number of man hours your project takes in total, and an enumeration of what resources you've used on it, when it's finally completed.
A lot of man hours and trial and error thus far since I also aim to present a believable turbo shaft system and - possibly the biggest obstacle - want the result to look accurate and good.

As resources (I read it as references) I use the visual information from TOS (corridor angles) and the dialogue. Basically it's like a giant jigsaw puzzle.

Where I agree with Warped9 is that it is quite a challenge, I'm not so sure about "different ways to interpret the available information."
In "Mudd's Women" and "The Enemy Within" we saw Kirk's (provisional) quarters on (Engineering) Deck 12, so that's where they are.

If one intends to be accurate, I believe it's inevitable to show all the locations from the series, first, and ideally in an arrangement that can be believable. Whatever is left / had not been shown in the series is "up for grabs".

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 02:58 AM   #45
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Bob, I don't really have a problem with any of what you're saying there.

However, my position is outlined in my post #31 above.

Ascribing the flaws in FJ's work to a lack of passion is more than totally unsupported, it's barking up the wrong tree. If fans surpass FJ's work, there's basically only one reason and it has nothing to do with passion. The kind of passion you're evidently talking about would have demanded that publication of the book be delayed, perhaps to the point of being delayed indefinitely.