Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 13 2013, 05:00 AM   #46
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Re: old english accent was closer to American southern accent

A regional British accent from over 80 years ago.

USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 06:33 AM   #47
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
It's becoming fairly evident in the south, especially compared to 30 years ago. These days, native Texans and Georigians are more likely to hail from large cities and their accents reflect growing up around many people.
I've always found accents interesting - I used to be regularly mistaken for being English, and a roommate who actually was born in England once said to me, "I don't know what your accent is, but it's not from Southern Ontario" (which is where I've lived all my life).

OTOH, I managed to date someone born and raised in Tennessee, and who has lived in Atlanta for the past several years, and who doesn't have what I would call a Southern accent. And yet many of my friends who also live in Atlanta have a drawl so thick I could pour it on my pancakes and call it maple syrup. (Admittedly, I don't know exactly where they're from, only that they're Southerners who live in Atlanta and the surrounding area.)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The only part of the Canadian accent that I always recognize is when they say the word "sorry" and it comes out "sore-ey." Apart from that, I usually can't tell the difference.
Well, that's the way it's spelled - not "sarry".

I have never heard a Canadian actually talk like the old cliché about "I'm going oot of the hoose, eh?"
There are some, but they tend to be from the east coast or northern Ontario (listen closely to Michael Hogan from Battlestar Galactica some time - he's from Kirkland Lake, Ontario, which is about 350-400 miles north of Toronto. (Alan Thicke is from Kirkland Lake as well, but his accent is less pronounced.) Hogan's accent is more noticeable in earlier episodes (I read somewhere recently that he was actually rather self-conscious about it).

Hogan's son Gabriel (who plays Peter Morris on Heartland - I'm not sure if that airs outside Canada, but he also played Ian Farnham on Traders) was born in Toronto, and doesn't have much of an accent at all, that I can remember.

Hockey commentator Don Cherry also has a very pronounced accent along the lines of what you describe.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 10:13 AM   #48
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

USS Excelsior wrote: View Post
This dialect isn't all that different from rural Cornish now, as I'm sure the Cornish dwellers here will attest. There is bleed in rural dialects in the south west so you'll hear similar in Somerset, Devon and even into Wiltshire. This is the closest to the language of Shakespeare still extant, since at the time he was writing the GVS was still shifting.

There may be levelling out of accents on TV but on the ground, in the UK, they are alive and kicking. The most amazing thing about the UK is that for such a small island, there is a huge variety in the way English is spoken and the vocabularies used.
Old March 13 2013, 12:24 PM   #49
macloudt
Down with this sort of thing

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

I'm quite certain the Mendip dialect has changed slightly changed since this was recorded. My father-in-law's family has lived in northern Somerset for donkey's years, and while I recognise some of the local vocab and there are lots of Z's and R's it sounds a bit flatter than what I was used to hearing from the older generation when I lived there (though I'm sure my FIL went out of his way to make sure he sounded like a Wurzel).

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 12:46 PM   #50
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I have never heard a Canadian actually talk like the old cliché about "I'm going oot of the hoose, eh?"
There are some, but they tend to be from the east coast or northern Ontario (listen closely to Michael Hogan from Battlestar Galactica some time - he's from Kirkland Lake, Ontario, which is about 350-400 miles north of Toronto. (Alan Thicke is from Kirkland Lake as well, but his accent is less pronounced.) Hogan's accent is more noticeable in earlier episodes (I read somewhere recently that he was actually rather self-conscious about it).
The pronunciation in question is called the Canadian Rising. Interestingly, while more subtle for some than others, it is a uniquely Canadian phenomenon. Normally accents reflect the people who settled the area. However, British Columbia, which was settled by many people from the western United States, has it as well. It's the only accent (that I'm aware of) that stops at a political border. Although, I think in the East coast, the line is a bit more blurry.

There's also a similar, but different phenomenon called the Northern Cities Vowel Shift (I'm using wikipedia's name, I usually just call it the Northern Vowel Shift), which is that accent you hear in Fargo (or Sarah Palin or the mother from Bobby's World). Linguists apparently think it's the most significant change in the English language since the Great Vowel Shift in Middle English.

ETA: Blog Post Discussing the Two Accents. He points out the political boundary thing is most significant when comparing Detroit to Windsor. They're literally right next door, but have completely different accents.
Old March 13 2013, 12:49 PM   #51
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

The Australians have taken rising to another plane. Stephen Fry did a brilliant pisstake of it. I'll see if it's on You Tube.

Here we go. A bit blurry but perfectly audible.
Old March 13 2013, 01:17 PM   #52
ITL
Vice Admiral

The Wiltshire accent has a rising inflection, too. Or at least it did have 20 years ago in the part of Wiltshire that I lived in. Probably still does, for all I know.
Old March 13 2013, 03:25 PM   #53
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

So, what's it called when Canadians pronounce "about" like "a boat"? When I visit Canada, which is fairly frequently, I have to keep going, "Ow, ow, ow," in the mirror to keep my accent from diminishing!

ETA: OK, I see that that must be the Canadian raising.
Old March 13 2013, 05:39 PM   #54
USS Excelsior
Commodore

As for Shakespearean English there are these re-enactments as to how it would actually sound at the time that Shakespeare was listening to it.

Romeo & Juliet: https://soundcloud.com/evie-jeffreys...juliet-extract

MacBeth: https://soundcloud.com/evie-jeffreys/macbeth-from-act-2

Sonnet 116: http://soundcloud.com/evie-jeffreys/sonnet-116
Old March 13 2013, 08:11 PM   #55
Squiggy
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Born and raised in Tennessee, but I couldn't hear anything until I was 4...so I never developed the accent (thank God...my accent is Al Gore's).
Old March 13 2013, 09:03 PM   #56
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

And coincidentally, you helped invent the Internet (Hitler threadbomb).

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 09:22 PM   #57
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Squiggy wrote: View Post
Born and raised in Tennessee, but I couldn't hear anything until I was 4...so I never developed the accent (thank God...my accent is Al Gore's).
Wait, you too? I was deaf until age 4 as well! Sorry, that's completely unrelated to the thread, I just found it interesting.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 09:36 PM   #58
Relayer1
Commodore

Deckerd wrote: View Post
This dialect isn't all that different from rural Cornish now, as I'm sure the Cornish dwellers here will attest. There is bleed in rural dialects in the south west so you'll hear similar in Somerset, Devon and even into Wiltshire. This is the closest to the language of Shakespeare still extant, since at the time he was writing the GVS was still shifting.

There may be levelling out of accents on TV but on the ground, in the UK, they are alive and kicking. The most amazing thing about the UK is that for such a small island, there is a huge variety in the way English is spoken and the vocabularies used.
Yo bay arf roit are kid...
Old March 14 2013, 01:09 AM   #59
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Woah...it's like Cornwall and Fargo had a baby, and raised it in Mississippi.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2013, 04:13 AM   #60
USS Excelsior
Commodore

This is another one from down the road from there from the same time period.