Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 12 2013, 02:02 AM   #46
Anachronus
Commodore

Re: The Life And Scandalous Times Of John Nathan-Turner

[QUOTE=DWF;7789663]
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Not quite, but he did like to wear loud Hawaiian shirts though.
There is another kind?

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 02:19 AM   #47
Mr Light
Admiral

So... Brannon Braga got Barack Obama elected President of the United States?!?!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 04:03 AM   #48
Christopher
Writer

Mr Light wrote: View Post
So... Brannon Braga got Barack Obama elected President of the United States?!?!
No; as far as I can tell, Ryan didn't begin seeing Braga until after her marriage fell apart. So he was peripheral to the matter.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 01:09 PM   #49
Australis
Writer

So, Jonathan Powell didn't like Who and didn't like JNT, and thought they deserved one another?

If anyone is the arsehole in all this, it's him.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 03:44 PM   #50
diankra
Commodore

Australis wrote: View Post
So, Jonathan Powell didn't like Who and didn't like JNT, and thought they deserved one another?

That is what a lot of us have thought for a long time: that Powell is the real villain in setting the 85 cancellation in motion, and in the failure to make any real attempts to turn the series around afterwards (beyond those that resulted from the new creative energy Andrew Cartmel eventually brought in), and that we've been a bit unfair in blaming Michael Grade just because his showman instincts made him put himself in plain sight and take the blame.

The problem with Powell, IMHO, is that he was an excellent producer of 'prestige' drama, but his time as head of drama and BBC1 Controller was a disaster, as - aside from a few occasions when a prestigious production also became a mainstream hit, like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or some Austen adaptations - he had no instinct at all for popular programming, and his attempts to come up with it went too much for the lowest common denominator. His time saw a string of disasters like Eldorado, or flops from previously sure-fire production teams (Virtual Murder, Trainer, Moon and Son, Call Me Mister...).

Still, on the strength of the review, his comments seem astonishing, as it sounds as if he's coming close to admitting he was trying to force JNT to resign, which is constructive dismissal. But then JNT is gone, and dead men can't sue.

Last edited by diankra; March 12 2013 at 04:57 PM.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 04:02 PM   #51
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Don't give a shit about where Brannon Braga's penis has been, but Season 24 is the only JNT season I'm not highly fond of. I'd take all the others over Seasons 8-11 really.

I think Seasons 18, 19, 22, 25 and 26 are pretty fucking great.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 05:23 PM   #52
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Totally unrelated here...

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Did/do you post on Outpost Gallifrey/Gallifrey Base as "Paradox Machine"? If so, long ago you posted a playlist for combining Coldplay's Viva La Vida and Prospekt's March into a single "album," and I still use that playlist. (The file's actually called "Coldplay - Paradox Machine" in my playlists folder.) I just wanted to say thanks.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 11:33 PM   #53
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post

I think you'll find what made him stand out was the shirts...
Oh...Did he have Six's Fashion Sense?
It might be the other way round. There's a fan theory that Six's extravagance and somewhat 'bold' fashions were JNT's attempts to recreate the Doctor in his own image. So Six had JNT's fashion sense!
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 12:47 AM   #54
Christopher
Writer

^I don't buy that. I remember reading about how the costume designer was instructed to come up with a look for the Sixth Doctor that was as tasteless as possible, in order to reflect the new Doctor's erratic state of mind. In an interview, the designer talked about how hard it was to deliberately design something that looked awful. So JNT didn't choose the costume we got because he liked it, but because he thought it was the worst-looking one the designer had to offer.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 12:33 PM   #55
Australis
Writer

diankra wrote: View Post

That is what a lot of us have thought for a long time: that Powell is the real villain in setting the 85 cancellation in motion, and in the failure to make any real attempts to turn the series around afterwards (beyond those that resulted from the new creative energy Andrew Cartmel eventually brought in), and that we've been a bit unfair in blaming Michael Grade just because his showman instincts made him put himself in plain sight and take the blame.

The problem with Powell, IMHO, is that he was an excellent producer of 'prestige' drama, but his time as head of drama and BBC1 Controller was a disaster, as - aside from a few occasions when a prestigious production also became a mainstream hit, like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or some Austen adaptations - he had no instinct at all for popular programming, and his attempts to come up with it went too much for the lowest common denominator. His time saw a string of disasters like Eldorado, or flops from previously sure-fire production teams (Virtual Murder, Trainer, Moon and Son, Call Me Mister...).

Still, on the strength of the review, his comments seem astonishing, as it sounds as if he's coming close to admitting he was trying to force JNT to resign, which is constructive dismissal. But then JNT is gone, and dead men can't sue.
What makes me smile and keeps me warm at night is that Jonathon Powell is still alive... and Dr Who is the BBC's flagship programme.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 03:04 PM   #56
diankra
Commodore

What makes me smile and keeps me warm at night is that Jonathon Powell is still alive... and Dr Who is the BBC's flagship programme.
Odd coincidence I found, on looking him up on Wiki to see what he's been doing since his equally disastrous stint at Carlton TV, is that he went to the same university as myself and Matt Smith...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 04:51 AM   #57
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I've always admired JNT's loud Hawaiian shirts. Wish I had the balls to wear such things.
Old March 15 2013, 11:22 AM   #58
Starkers
Admiral

I like them, just not all the time!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2013, 02:59 PM   #59
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
I like them, just not all the time!
And the rest of your outfit needs to coordinate with them, not make them clash and look louder, which is the mistake many make when wearing Hawaiian Shorts.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2013, 06:13 PM   #60
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I don't buy that. I remember reading about how the costume designer was instructed to come up with a look for the Sixth Doctor that was as tasteless as possible, in order to reflect the new Doctor's erratic state of mind. In an interview, the designer talked about how hard it was to deliberately design something that looked awful. So JNT didn't choose the costume we got because he liked it, but because he thought it was the worst-looking one the designer had to offer.

Well yes, that's the official explanation. JNT never walked into the costume designer and said 'I want the Doctor to dress like me'. If the fan theory is true, he used the Doctor's instability as a justification, an excuse, for the bizarre dress sense, in much the same way he---allegedly---decided he wanted Bonnie Langford as a companion, and then told the production team that the next companion should have bright red hair for no reason other than the fact he wanted it. He then added 'And I can think of only one actress with bright red hair, Bonnie Langford'.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote