RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,209
Posts: 5,437,311
Members: 24,951
Currently online: 583
Newest member: Zaminhon

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 11 2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Blamo
Fleet Captain
 
Location: UK
Re: Highlander Franchise

The first movie was great. Shame it's sequels were rubbish.

The TV series as surprisingly good, certainly far better than the sequels and closer to the original movie.

From what I remember of the animated series it was also quite good.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11 2013, 09:27 PM   #17
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Highlander Franchise

I like the first movie.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 04:55 AM   #18
The Overlord
Captain
 
Re: Highlander Franchise

I think the franchise jumped the shark when they made the immortals aliens in the second film, after that it was just retcon after retcon, sure retconning away Zeist was a good idea, but it set a bad precedent.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 05:37 AM   #19
Mike Farley
Commodore
 
Mike Farley's Avatar
 
Location: Lost Vegas
Re: Highlander Franchise

The franchise jumped the shark when they MADE a second movie. There was nowhere for the story to go. The first movie told The End tale of the immortals.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 01:24 PM   #20
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Highlander Franchise

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
The franchise jumped the shark when they MADE a second movie. There was nowhere for the story to go. The first movie told The End tale of the immortals.
This!

At the end of the film, there was only one!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 03:07 PM   #21
marillion
Vice Admiral
 
marillion's Avatar
 
Location: Hangin' with Smokey Bear
View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Highlander Franchise

Well, at technically speaking, when it comes to Highlander II, that's the way it starts.. McLeod is the last immortal... The only thing Ziest really did was pave a VERY hamhanded way for immortals to return to earth... Honestly, had it not been a big budget money grab, some, SOME of that concept actually has merit... The "Renegade" version of H2 removes the laughable element of Ziest, but little else to improve the overall movie...

I just wish Highlander the Series would have been about Connor's days before the final battle... Would have made things so much easier..
__________________
Find a new way of life - www.marillion.com
marillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07
 
Re: Highlander Franchise

^ I heard that they wanted Christopher Lambert for the series, but he didn't want to do television.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 06:25 PM   #23
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Highlander Franchise

Oh, I'm glad - Adrian Paul was an amazing martial artist to watch, I'd have hated to miss that.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 07:46 PM   #24
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Highlander Franchise

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ I heard that they wanted Christopher Lambert for the series, but he didn't want to do television.
Forbin wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm glad - Adrian Paul was an amazing martial artist to watch, I'd have hated to miss that.
I read somewhere that they were originally going to cast Adrian Paul as Connor MacLeod, but Paul wanted his own character or something and thats how they came up with Duncan
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:43 PM   #25
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral
 
Jar Jar Binks's Avatar
 
Location: Skywalker
Re: Highlander Franchise

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Oh, I'm glad - Adrian Paul was an amazing martial artist to watch, I'd have hated to miss that.
I read somewhere that they were originally going to cast Adrian Paul as Connor MacLeod, but Paul wanted his own character or something and thats how they came up with Duncan
I'm glad they made him a different character, because Paul and Lambert were great together. I wish they'd had Connor show up for more than just the pilot, but that one episode might have been all that Lambert wanted to do (or their schedules just might never have lined up).
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 08:49 PM   #26
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Highlander Franchise

I deny the existence of Highlander sequels.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 09:25 PM   #27
Mike Farley
Commodore
 
Mike Farley's Avatar
 
Location: Lost Vegas
Re: Highlander Franchise

In my head I always justified the TV show by assuming it took place BEFORE the first movie. Then the fourth movie messed that up.

(The series itself might have messed that up, but I didn't watch enough of it to see)
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 09:31 PM   #28
Masquerade
Rear Admiral
 
Masquerade's Avatar
 
Location: ManOnTheWave
Re: Highlander Franchise

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ I heard that they wanted Christopher Lambert for the series, but he didn't want to do television.
All the publicity I read when the show was on the air told the opposite story. Lambert wanted to do it, and the people putting the show together wanted "a different direction."

I always thought it was rather classy of Lambert to appear in the pilot considering.
__________________
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
Masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 09:45 PM   #29
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral
 
Jar Jar Binks's Avatar
 
Location: Skywalker
Re: Highlander Franchise

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
In my head I always justified the TV show by assuming it took place BEFORE the first movie. Then the fourth movie messed that up.

(The series itself might have messed that up, but I didn't watch enough of it to see)
The series takes place after the first movie, but in the series' timeline, there was no Gathering in New York City in 1985. Connor and the Kurgan weren't the last of the Immortals, and Connor didn't win the Prize.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 10:21 PM   #30
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Highlander Franchise

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Mike Farley wrote: View Post
In my head I always justified the TV show by assuming it took place BEFORE the first movie. Then the fourth movie messed that up.

(The series itself might have messed that up, but I didn't watch enough of it to see)
The series takes place after the first movie, but in the series' timeline, there was no Gathering in New York City in 1985. Connor and the Kurgan weren't the last of the Immortals, and Connor didn't win the Prize.
But the end of the movie made it pretty clear that he did win the prize.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
highlander

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.