Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 21 2013, 11:05 AM   #616
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Reverend wrote: View Post
I've never liked the whole mind boggling swarm of buttons thing that most MMOs and some RPGs go in for. It gets very cumbersome and once you've figured out a good rotation, combat becomes very repetitive.
I don't know "some;" that's like every videogame RPG ever. They're repetitive by nature. But don't complain about it until you start running 16-man Ops.

Besides, that's what PvP is for.

Seriously, the other day I ran a flashpoint and was able to be an effective healer while *barely* paying attention. I was running crew skills and reverse engineering in the middle of fights, while reading codex entries in between battles. Just being physically able to do that is not a good sign.
That depends on the FP and everyones level/gear.

Running T5 with a bunch of twinked 35s is a cakewalk. Continuing on with the same group into Maelstrom, not so much.

And also, <50 content is way easier than 50 content. Even with the free Tionese stuff, hopping into HMs (Save for Esseles, Black Talon, and T5) and SM Ops can still be a challenge for most PUGs.
Old February 21 2013, 12:42 PM   #617
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Depends on which RPGs you play. The first ones I ever got into were Fallout and Deus Ex, neither typical for the genre I'll grant you but you can't help first impressions.

The only fantasy RPGs I've been able to get on with are the Dragon Age games and even those can get a bit much. Having said that, I did like how DA2 streamlined things so instead of adding ever more abilities, you level up the basic attacks making them more powerful and added combos. It wasn't perfect, but a step in the right direction.

BTW, if you're still up for acquiring the artifact authorization for me, I think my Harb seller character has about 300K stored in the mail box, so I should be able to pay 600 up-front. Best time to buy is probably Saturday. Mid-week prices are always inflated.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 02:05 PM   #618
Rocketeer
Captain

Reverend, I actually like roleplaying better than combat. My Jedi Shadow on The Ebon Hawk is set up using the combat rotation from Noxxic. Since implementing that, he hasn't been defeated. So now combat is just another task that he must do as he progresses. My Commando is effective for ranged dps, but I've discovered that fights finish faster if he just heals the Jedi's as they chop on the enemies. I think the ability is Combat Support Cell.

My sniper on Red Eclipse is much different. That one likes to one-shot enemies and engage in snarky conversation.

I was only on for a short while last night. No guarantees tonight as I'm still a little light headed.

Last edited by Rocketeer; February 21 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 06:09 AM   #619
Jono
Rear Admiral

Just tried to play but my account is locked due to too many failures at my security questions, which I'm pretty sure I didn't do. Great the customer service I have to call is in the UK...my phone provider will enjoy that.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 08:37 AM   #620
Skywalker
Admiral

I decided to give this a try last week and downloaded it. I've been enjoying it for the most part, though for some reason once I get off of the starter planets, instead of continuing on I make a new character in a different class.

Right now I've got a Smuggler and a Bounty Hunter on Jedi Covenant, and an Imperial Agent on Ebon Hawk. I'm thinking of doing a Trooper on Ebon Hawk soon. Surprisingly in a game that focuses heavily on Jedi vs. Sith, I have little interest in playing either one.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 08:40 PM   #621
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the Jedi storyline is a bit too straightforward. It pretty much goes where you'd expect.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 09:53 AM   #622
Rocketeer
Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I decided to give this a try last week and downloaded it. I've been enjoying it for the most part, though for some reason once I get off of the starter planets, instead of continuing on I make a new character in a different class.

Right now I've got a Smuggler and a Bounty Hunter on Jedi Covenant, and an Imperial Agent on Ebon Hawk. I'm thinking of doing a Trooper on Ebon Hawk soon. Surprisingly in a game that focuses heavily on Jedi vs. Sith, I have little interest in playing either one.
Yeah, my first characters on both Ebon Hawk and Red Eclipse were troopers. However, I'm starting to really like my Jedi Consular (Shadow). I originally chose the class because they can use the double-bladed lightsabers. I noticed the last few times I've played though that I never use the lightsaber. The JC has a lot of mental and telekinesis attacks that are much more effective.
Old March 6 2013, 10:39 PM   #623
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I've been doing so well with my Smuggler, and then.... Damn you, Lightspring! This battle feels more like it should be a group battle rather than solo.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 10:44 PM   #624
Skywalker
Admiral

I've now got a Trooper on Ebon Hawk to go along with my Imperial Agent. One of the things I like most about this game so far is I can easily switch back and forth between characters depending on my mood. If I'm feeling snarky I'll roll with my Smuggler (who's now gotten his ship back), if I want to be all sneaky and spy-like I'll play my Agent, and if I want to blow shit up I'll go with either my Bounty Hunter or Trooper. The Bounty Hunter might actually be my least favorite of the four, though I fricking love that Death From Above ability.
Old March 7 2013, 05:23 AM   #625
Jono
Rear Admiral

The lack of an account bank/cargo hold for all your characters on a server is annoying.
Old March 12 2013, 05:24 PM   #626
Rocketeer
Captain

I found my first piece of headgear (not counting social gear). I didn't know there was any in the game. Although it's for a different class, I put it on my character for the increased armor and endurance.
Old March 22 2013, 11:13 AM   #627
Skywalker
Admiral

Well, last night I went ahead and bought some cartel coins to get Preferred Status. The extra quickbars and all that are nice, but to be honest, the Sprint ability on its own is almost enough to justify the purchase. What a difference it makes!

I'm running seven different characters now, one of each class except for the Sith Inquisitor. I'm no farther than level 17 with any of them though, because instead of sticking with one character I keep bouncing back and forth between them all.
Old March 26 2013, 09:47 AM   #628
Jono
Rear Admiral

They've announced they are closing down all APAC servers and plan to offer transfers to NA servers. Not completely surprising, thought they might try merging us into a super-server first. I have not seen much positivity about it from anyone on the server I play on or in the forums so far.

Last edited by Jono; March 26 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old March 27 2013, 06:48 AM   #629
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Jono wrote: View Post
They've announced they are closing down all APAC servers and plan to offer transfers to NA servers. Not completely surprising, thought they might try merging us into a super-server first. I have not seen much positivity about it from anyone on the server I play on or in the forums so far.
Old March 27 2013, 12:07 PM   #630
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, that ship has been sinking for almost 12 months now. Not really news.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote