Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 2 4.76%
A 5 11.90%
A- 9 21.43%
B+ 11 26.19%
B 6 14.29%
B- 4 9.52%
C+ 1 2.38%
C 0 0%
C- 1 2.38%
D+ 1 2.38%
D 1 2.38%
D- 1 2.38%
F 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 12 2013, 04:50 AM   #31
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Oz the Great and Powerful - Grading & Discussion

^ "I won't because, while the books are in the public domain, as an element unique to the MGM film we don't have the rights to that", for good or not good, is the actual reason.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 05:12 AM   #32
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Well Diana Ross wore silver slippers in the Wiz so the fear of litigiousness has been around for a while.

"I'm not allowed to" or "I'm not allowed to without handing over a but load of money" are also both good reasons. Which made his answer to the question seem even more political that he artistically and stylistically chose not to borrow from MGM because he was interested in his own unique vision... But how much would it have cost to use Ruby slippers?

Do you think David E Kelly paid for his slippers, when he dressed Camille up in full Dorothy during an early episode of Chicago Hope to soothe a trichotillomaniac? Or did they slip that under the wire as a parody?

UM.

Did any one see the evil dead Car?

Sam's supposed to put it in all his movies some where.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 01:23 PM   #33
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post

Wut?
Wut do you mean Wut? The rip offs from Revenge of the Sith up to including, "......I've been waiting a long time for this," and the green lightning from her fingers wasn't obvious to you? Shit they even had the good witch fighting off the green lighthing with her magic light saber err wand.

Another nitpick of this film. At least the original had the timeless song sung by Judy Garland "Somewhere over the Rainbow," that is still a classic today.

Last edited by DarthTom; March 12 2013 at 01:47 PM.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 02:38 PM   #34
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Do you think David E Kelly paid for his slippers, when he dressed Camille up in full Dorothy during an early episode of Chicago Hope to soothe a trichotillomaniac? Or did they slip that under the wire as a parody?
I'd imagine so, yes. Or maybe there was a WB corporate connection of some sort.

"I'm not allowed to" or "I'm not allowed to without handing over a but load of money" are also both good reasons. Which made his answer to the question seem even more political that he artistically and stylistically chose not to borrow from MGM because he was interested in his own unique vision... But how much would it have cost to use Ruby slippers?
Since publicly admitting they were wary of legal trouble could itself encourage legal trouble, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the filmmakers were directed to ascribe any and all dissimilarities from the '39 movie as purely artistic.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 02:44 PM   #35
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Another nitpick of this film. At least the original had the timeless song sung by Judy Garland "Somewhere over the Rainbow," that is still a classic today.
Of all the potential criticisms of the film, this is the most irrelevant, inane, and inappropriate.

Otherwise, why didn't they just use a CGI Margaret Hamilton instead of Mila Kunis? Hamilton's performance is still classic today. Why not simply replicate it in the new film?
Old March 12 2013, 02:52 PM   #36
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

^ Because Disney doesn't have the rights to Hamilton's likeness, which is actually why Kunis' skin in the movie is a different shade of green.

Apparently, they even had a lawyer on set to make sure any legally problematic similarities to elements unique to the 1939 movie are avoided.
Old March 12 2013, 03:06 PM   #37
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Emperors force lighting was blue.

Although yes the effect did look similar but that's because it's lighting.

Lightning looks like lightning and other than MAKING IT GREEN, lightning is going to continue to look like lightning most of the time.

I've seen shit about Harry Potter Wands vs. light sabres elsewhere on and off.

Light sabres come in a lot of colours including purple.

George Lucas can try to patent lightning if he wants to, but frankly he'll just end up being treated like the last emperor of Japan or a 20-something Michael Jackson.

I don't see you complaining that what Theodora had going on throwing fireballs reminded you or Backdraft or Ladder 49.

Old March 12 2013, 03:14 PM   #38
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

The Emperors force lighting was blue.

Although yes the effect did look similar but that's because it's lighting.

Lightning looks like lightning and other than MAKING IT GREEN, lightning is going to continue to look like lightning most of the time.

I've seen shit about Harry Potter Wands vs. light sabres elsewhere on and off.
I understand this. But coupled iwth the lines, "....I've been waiting a long time for this," and that the good witch faught the lightening off with her wand which is similar to a light sabre just seemed to me, like a shameless rip off of the Sith.

Hey, I get it - a lot of people liked the film. I wish I could have my $15 back for seeing it in Imax - oh and the 3 hours as well.

The only redeeming quality of the film IMO other than the amazing effects was the Trek trailer.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2013, 03:25 PM   #39
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I hated the film.

I thought the lightning was reminiscent of Palpatine.

But I've been waiting a long time for this is the first line to a song by Green Day called "Waiting" that was recorded in 2000.

And I'm pretty sure Jay said "I've been waiting a long time for this my little green friend" in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

These are all really unimportant words strung together.

It can't qualify as a meaning quote other than technically it's something that was said.

Old March 12 2013, 08:21 PM   #40
Merlanthe
Commander

went to see this today. the little china girl si awesome. thought it was a good take on the oz story. didnt like that he and glinda hooked up at the end.

sure she could see through his lies to who he really was and he didnt try to gull her with a music box like he tries to nearly everyone else but i didnt see any sparks of attraction between the two and his interest in her seemed to stem a lot form her looking like the one girl back home he who was marrying another which is not a good basis for a relationship. imho they worked better as friends and the movie would have been brilliant ending with the little china girl's delight at getting a new family rather thana cliched hook up.

otherwise a good movie.
Old March 12 2013, 10:36 PM   #41
mos6507
Captain

That was never in doubt, I say "claim" because it doesn't seem like a good enough reason to exclude the slippers, in an attempt to distance his new film from the "original" (there was a silent era Wizard of Oz wasn't there?) if he's going to film the first 20 minutes in black and white.

"I don't want to" is a good reason.

"I don't want to because they weren't in the book" is less good.
I think the restrictions on referencing the 1939 film were not so much artistic as legal, since this was not released by the same studio. That's why there are still some homages, if it seemed like it could get past the legal department.
Old March 13 2013, 01:06 AM   #42
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Just wondering, if the Ruby Slippers were not included due to legal reasons, why were they able to be included in Return to Oz, which was also Disney, and not MGM? And they were a major plot device in that movie, as well.

I'm not saying they should have been in there, since I think the movie worked just fine with out them. I'm just wondering.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:13 AM   #43
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Disney paid MGM a fee to use the ruby slippers in Return to OZ, because they were MGM's intellectual property and had been created for the 1939 film (the slippers are silver in the books, and MGM wanted ruby ones to take advantage of the color). The books themselves were already in the public domain by 1985, when the film was made, and Disney had acquired rights to some of them.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2013, 01:26 AM   #44
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I later admitted that he was speaking politically, in so that what he said was not the truth, but palatable and truthish.

I admit that the real truth is that they didn't want to (or couldn't) pay MGM because they're cheap.

I just believe that Rami could have built better lies to cover up his cheapness.

Do we really believe that if he could have gotten the ruby slipppers, free of charge that he still would have declined the opportunity to use them? What sort of maniac turns down free shit?

But Disney might not have even approached MGM because either they're wussies or defeatists, daunted by the prohibitive costs.

I've mentioned Wicked a couple times. They seem to have "stage show rights" to use Ruby slippers which would not translate into "film rights" and thereafter Wicked would have to then use "silver" shoes or someone hands over money to MGM to process the transition to film.

Disney has done it before and they could have done it again, but they wussed out.

In 1985 Disney released Return to Oz, and while that movie was an amalgam of Oz book sequels (and featured character designs directly lifted from the Oz book illustrations, as opposed to The Wizard of Oz, which created mostly new designs), director Walter Murch wanted to use the famous Ruby Slippers. Disney paid through the nose to license the image from MGM.
Was Return to Oz a bomb?

Once bitten, twice shy?

I showed Return of Oz to my nephew recently and he LOVED it.

Old March 13 2013, 02:42 AM   #45
stj
Rear Admiral

Return to Oz is like Tron, a movie that was not a financial success, either. Tron was so creative it should be considered an artistic success. And Return to Oz was also a movie to be proud of.